ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car wouldnt start - would with a push

Clio Expression 1.2 16V
Started work at 8am car was fine. Left till 6pm it would not start. My mate gave it a push and it started then.

I know nothing bout cars and mechanics, whats the deal here?

It has just had some work done at a garage, had a wheel bearing and drop link repaired/replaced.

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Was it in gear when he pushed it?

Please tell me that wasnt a serious question!!! LOL!

He'd of found it VERY difficult to push the car if it was in gear & clutch was engaged!!!

You sure you didnt leave your lights on this morning mate.....might be as simple as that causing a flat battery!!

If it isnt this, then its either a knackered battery, knackered alternator causing the battery not to charge (although usually the charging light shows on the dashboard when this occurs), or finally its your starter motor or associated wiring!!

Clio Expression 1.2 16V
it turned the engine over but didnt start. i turned the lights on when i got in the car and they were working as was the radio so probs not flat battery.

and yeah i was in neutral when my mate gave me a push! it started first try when he was pushing.

started fine three times this morning so fingers crossed one off?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
you'll find that we have an excellent "for sale" section on here..

please, make full use of it

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Your lights and radio can still work on a flat battery, just wont have enough charge to turn over the car thats all. My money is on a flat battery.

BMW M135i
Was it in gear when he pushed it?

Please tell me that wasnt a serious question!!! LOL!

He'd of found it VERY difficult to push the car if it was in gear & clutch was engaged!!!

You sure you didnt leave your lights on this morning mate.....might be as simple as that causing a flat battery!!

If it isnt this, then its either a knackered battery, knackered alternator causing the battery not to charge (although usually the charging light shows on the dashboard when this occurs), or finally its your starter motor or associated wiring!!

Yes it was a serious question thank you. If the starter motor was jammed then rocking it in gear so it turns the flywheel will sometimes unjam it. If its in neutral it won't turn the engine, and yes if you tried to push the car in gear it would be very difficult and you won't get far but it should be enough to unjam the starter if it was jammed.