ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car won't turnover and all dash lights lost after I turn the key

Renault Clio182 bean
I have just read through a lot of this but cant decide if you sanded down all of the earth hoops and also sanded where they bolt to so that both join faces are shiney clean metal? What happens when you try to turn the key? (click, multiple clicking, whirring, nothing etc)

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
28FEB2AC-CE2F-4438-AFCF-7B93F6FC00F8.jpg

6DC4D179-102A-442E-BBE7-E9F115968FDD.jpg

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Yeah I've tried to clean both sides as best I can on all earth points .

its not even trying to attempt to start

The flashing red light changes to a solid red when you turn the ignition and the stop and serv lights also remain on but it's not even try in to turn over .

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Checked fuses passenger side and had alook at relays in engine bay will have another check and check fuses there also again .

I see lots of people have had issues and I guess mine being of the road for 2 years doesn't help .

Really struggling as my skills are limited !

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
C49D3EC6-6CF1-46AC-BC3A-B57EEED86A28.jpg

just found that where the 10a fuse is now there wasn't anythink in that slot !

Its now turning over !

Lets see if it will fire up !

182 ff
got there in the end.... don't forget get some fuel .. ha ,if my car wont start, 1st place am looking now...(10a fuse)

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
I can't believe there was no fuse there . Must have come out at some point !

i can't find my diagnostic port.

my car is stripped out and can't find 16 pin connector .

is it actually attached to centre console as that went to the scrap yonks ago but can't find a plug with 16 pins by gearstick !

Diagnostic plug (as long as nothing's been moved) should be under the ashtray at the bottom of the centre console mate. Pull the ashtray out and plug should be directly under it.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
My car is stripped out so no ash tray or centre console

cant see an obd connector anywhere

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
It's a snap on one buddy . I've borrowed it from a mate and I reckon it's probably £2000 - £3000 lol :-/

182 ff
sell it and buy a new car lol,I know its a silly question.. if your mate has that kind of equipment ,why doesn't he fix your car?

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
It will be going there if I can't get any further .

Just was trying my best to do as much I could without having to pay .

7D2D92CB-384A-46E3-9779-FD15BD7608F6.jpg

where's the vacuum of here go to ?

dan's cast offs.
clear your codes.

what happens on the dash when you crank?

try a plug in a lead and make sure you have a spark

check you are getting fuel

are you 100% you set cam timing up ok?

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Birchdown down done cambelt , clutch and de-phaser so would hope so .

How do I check in getting fuel buddy ?

dash just remains with stop and serv but the red light goes out

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Ok cool will try that .

I know know these cars are a pain when in everyday use so with mine being of he road 2 years and engine been removed it could be anythink !

Just got to check everythink I guess .

phase 1 172
Have you checked the comnections on that white block (uch) and the other end of it in the passenger footweel

its a communication problem uch aint signalling the fuel pump so its semi immobilised

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
I will check this lee . Anythink is worth a check and try . The car is stripped out and will see .

Where is the white block (uch ) ?

I've got some cabling tooked up in the drivers footwell

Renault Clio182 bean
It will be going there if I can't get any further .

Just was trying my best to do as much I could without having to pay .

7D2D92CB-384A-46E3-9779-FD15BD7608F6.jpg

where's the vacuum of here go to ?

The vacuum in that pic should go to the Acoustic valve iirc, if one isn't fitted the that vacuum should be blanked off as its sucking in air after the throttle body!

Renault Clio182 bean
As long as you have checked the basics first i.e.... Air, Fuel, Spark, The basic things you need for an engine to even start. If you have all of these start looking into sensors and connections, such as crank sensor wiring and resistances for example.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
I've got a ignition light on the dash now since checking my coilpack and ignition lead order .

Coil 4 to 1st spark plug
coil 3 to 2nd
coil 2 to 3rd
coil 4 to 4th

This wasn't on dash before but comes on now on ignition .

would this just be , coil pack or leads or does the square with zig zag refer to more ?

Will have to get code reader again

Renault Clio182 bean
I've got a ignition light on the dash now since checking my coilpack and ignition lead order .

Coil 4 to 1st spark plug
coil 3 to 2nd
coil 2 to 3rd
coil 4 to 4th

This wasn't on dash before but comes on now on ignition .

would this just be , coil pack or leads or does the square with zig zag refer to more ?

Will have to get code reader again

The light on the dash that looks like a square with zig-zag in it, I think it looks like a hear rate monitor lol. That's the engine immobiliser light/electrical fault light according to my handbook

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Yeah that's the one buddy .

i now have that on the dash so it's picking up a fault now that wasn't displaying on the dash .

not sure if that's a good thing or not !

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
No that goes of when the key is turned to ignition.

its turning over but not firing .

The electrical fault light is on but this afternoon it wasn't .

wonder if tdc sensor has gone faulty . I do have the new blue type fitted

phase 1 172
It it stops turning after 3secnds its a coms problem between the uch and ecu but if it keeps turning then id look at tdc 1st

Not sure it would bring up.the eml tho

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
As far as I'm aware it will keep turning over . Yeah not sure why EML light has come
on and wasn't on before .

im hoping mark who I borrowed the diagnostic tool of is going to pop around one night NS plug it up as he know how to use it better and check sensors data as I'm struggling !

i thought I'd cracked it when it was turning over !