ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car won't start... video to demonstrate

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Hi guys,

My car has done this quite a few times but I always managed to fiddle around and get it started before, or leave it over night and it would start the next day, thing is there never seemed to be one particular thing that made it start - more luck than anything. The last time it happened was a few months ago, and I thought it had solved itself. But last night, it did it again!

I put the key in the ignition, turn to the click before starting the engine - solid red light showing the immobiliser is disarmed, then the lights go out (as I believe they should), then I turn the key to start, but nothing happens - only a click from the glove box.

Now the battery seems okay, because all the electrics still work fine - plus I've tried jump leads and this didn't work. I've checked the fuses and they all seem ok. I've checked the relays and they seem ok. I've checked the battery negative earth and that looks ok. The starter motor was fitted only a couple of months ago by 519 so I'm assuming thats ok. I've tried the immobiliser reset by leaving the key in the ignition on position for 30 seconds, then off the 30, then on again for 30, but no luck.

I can't figure out what the problem is!! It's been running an absolute treat for months now. How can I get it started!

I have a video to show what happens:

Last edited by a moderator:

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Knackered battery. When mine died my electrics still all worked aswell

I've tried using jump leads from another car though and this made no difference at all. Could a knackered battery still be at fault?

Check that the alternator cable is still attached.

It seems to be attached fine to me.

IMG_1336_zpsc4d94ee7.jpg

Megane dci 130
Either starter motor fault, connections to it or the main earth. Without seeing it, or testing anything, it's hard to tell which.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Just realised an error in my original post. The alternator was fitted by 519 a few months ago, I haven't replaced the starter motor.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Could be a dirty exciter wire connection on the starter motor. It's only a small spade connector, pull it on and off again and see if it starts then.

Clio sport 172 cup
With the key in the start position hit the starter motor and see if it starts working if it's a sticking starter motor nine times out of ten it makes it work,otherwise do a volt drop test at the starter motor and make sure it's getting 12v when the circuit is being loaded

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
It'll be given to the local garage and hopefully they can sort it, I can't be bothered to fiddle around in the dark after work this week. I'll point them in the starter motor direction, although I'm sure they will figure that out themselves. Thanks for your help guys. :)

182 ff
my car does the same, new battery.. I have checks fuses, cleaned relays.. I did pull the wire near the start motor ,then it started..did take the wheel off checked starter connections.. seemed ok.. I changed batteries in my keys a week ago, its started ok since (touch wood)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
it's worth drop testing the battery first, as when the alternator was dying, it may have been damaged (I don't know what the mode of failure was of the old one, as had the car in as half taken apart) does seem likely its the starter motor though

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
The local garage have decided that they think its the battery and that it could be the original.

Collect it tonight so hopefully the problem will be solved. However, if the car won't start again I will be replacing the starter motor as mentioned by several of you above. Cheers for your help with this guys. Finger's crossed I won't have to post in this thread again - I will keep you updated if the problem is not solved though.

I have the exact same problem. Happened twice now both after heavy rain. I have checked the battery, earth leads and cleaned the relays. Thought the job was a goo one until this morning and again refused to start.
started first time this afternoon in the sun!

Can anyone put a pic up of where the exciter wire for the starter motor is. can't for the life of me tell where it is. I know its a spade connecter near the exhaust manifold? pic would be really helpful though!

Right second attempt.
The front, near the headlight has 2 ground points. got the back one off, sanded and cleaned. couldnt get the one nearest to the front of the car off. looks like its rusted on and there is no space to get it off
either way, its made it worse. Its like the car isn't getting enough voltage with flickering central locking leds and no interior lights on.
checked the battery and 12.5v and put a second new battery on just to make sure- same problem

I put a Jump lead on the negative to the metal arch over the battery and then get all the electrics on and interior lights etc...
turn the key half way and everything looks as it should (immobiliser light goes out), turn the key to start and allmighty click and nothing happens.

whatever I have done has made the ground I have fiddled with worse and then the original problem is still there!

I still can't find the starter motor spade connector on the f4r (172 cup). I'll post a pic up.

any advice?

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
roncee, you have to move the heat shield that covers the starter motor, from what I can remember the exciter was on the top of the starter, it's a pain to see it, but you are better off doing this from under the car.

The Dark Knight

ClioSport Club Member
The local garage have decided that they think its the battery and that it could be the original.

Collect it tonight so hopefully the problem will be solved. However, if the car won't start again I will be replacing the starter motor as mentioned by several of you above. Cheers for your help with this guys. Finger's crossed I won't have to post in this thread again - I will keep you updated if the problem is not solved though.

I'm experiencing the same problem with my 182, has your problem been resolved Danward?

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I'm experiencing the same problem with my 182, has your problem been resolved Danward?

It appears to have been solved, yes. I had a new battery put in a while ago now and have since not had any troubles with starting the car or the immobilser at all. I must admit though that I keep expecting it to develop problems, but I'm glad that so far it hasn't.

The Dark Knight

ClioSport Club Member
It appears to have been solved, yes. I had a new battery put in a while ago now and have since not had any troubles with starting the car or the immobilser at all. I must admit though that I keep expecting it to develop problems, but I'm glad that so far it hasn't.

I find it very strange that it wouldn't start with jumps leads but started with a new battery. Did you end up getting nay further diagnostics carried out?

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I find it very strange that it wouldn't start with jumps leads but started with a new battery. Did you end up getting nay further diagnostics carried out?

I also thought this. The garage put it down to the fact that the battery may have been the original and as it was so knackered it just meant the car couldn't start. Personally I can't get my head around it and don't really understand how a new battery has fixed my problems but like I say, it appears as though it has.

The Dark Knight

ClioSport Club Member
I tried a new battery in my 182, but I'm afraid it's still doing the same thing :(

Can anyone offer some advice as to what else the problem could be?