ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car wont start tried loads of stuff and out of ideas

SQ5
Changed the relay, only 5 pin one in there. Problem is still there?

I have 5 Big fuses and 3 little fuses in the engine bay they are in 1, 3 and 5. The big ones are in the last 5.

I have 3 small relays and the new big relay. Does that all sound ok?

Bumder With A Buffer
Silly question but im guessing the remote locking is fine with the key?? I cant remember how you opened it when I came round.

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
Look in the loom see if any of the wires are broke. Happend on my car. Il get a pic up, its a small green wire.

SQ5
Yea I can lock it and unlock it on the button.

The loom is massive and hidden in parts. I'll check this green wire tonight though! Cheers

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
It was dark when I got home so no pic.
A mate at a Stealer told me about the wire thing

French = cheap electrics

172 cup
try disconnecting the battery for 5 mins then reconnect it worked 4 me. it was my immobe playing up due to a faulty battery.

Clio 1.2 16V Dynamique
It might not be this but this is what it turned out to be on mine and I had a similar problem. If you have got an aftermarket head unit, take it out and make sure all of the wires connected to it are secure. Turns out I had a dodgy connection on one wire which caused my car not to start.

SQ5
Standard headunit, battery is completly dead at the minute but was fine before, I'll disconnect it later.

Was mean to get picked up today by local Auto electrics bloke but not gone anywhere :(

SQ5
PROBLEM SOLVED!

It was an earth wire to my fuel relay which is earth below the brake fluid reservoir.

The guy took ages trying to determine the problem, found it, cut it close to the ECU and earth it on the engine :D

I'm very happy :D

Clio 1.4 16v Dynamique
ive had a very similar problem to this recently on my 1.4 16v ph2 (20003)turns over but wont start it unlocks and locks with teh remote central locking, the red flashing light on the dash statys solid when i trun the ignition, its bumps starts but only sometimes,

it only wont start every now and again its been fine for about a month and ow its doing it again? does it sound like a bad earth or imobbiliser fault?

cheers.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Just seen this.

I had a similar problem ( wire going to fuse box ) happen to me in York 2005. One thing i always listen out for Renaults when they dont start is the fuel pump in the fuel tank buzzing when you turn the ignition on. One of the first places to look on a non starter.

I was just driving along a main rd approaching some traffic lights and it went dead on me. Had to push the bloody thing to a side street on a hot summers day in the middle of York town centre - very embarrasing

SQ5
I wasn't sure if it did buzz anyway. My old valver did, which I had kinda the same problem. But I couldn't rememeber if the 172 did!

After checking about 100 things and not the earth problems mentioned on it here i thought it must be that, but with no wiring diagram available I had to hand it to a pro!

Renault Clio 1.6 16V 2002
I have the same problem as JR1.4 the red light stays solid when I turn the ignition on.
Engine turns round fine but only for a few secs.
No spark and no fuel.

SQ5
The light will stay solid and then go after 3 seconds, I think if its an immob problem it flashes doesn't it?

Clio 1.4 16v Dynamique
the light on mine stays on until i turn the ignition back to off.

managed to get it started before put it in first gear and rocked it backwards and forwards a few times and it started..!!

wierd...starting to annoy me now.. cant rely on the car in a morning for work!:mad:

Clio 1.4 16v Dynamique
hopefully going to renault tomorrow morning, £57.50 to put it on diagnostics,

but if its a loose earth surely that wont be picked up on the machine??

SQ5
No it won't my code reader wouldn't llink because the earth was fried. Works fine now though. Renault better find something, did they?

Renault Clio 1.6 16V 2002
Have any body asked what a new engineroom wiring costs at a Renault Dealer?
Cause if the wiring is so poor, it should be easier to change the whole wiring at once, but it can be expensive.