ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car wont start some times *Spark plugs?*

Toyota Mr2 Turbo
Girlfriend had her cambelt changed on her 1.6 16v 1999 model I think, at the same time they replaced the spark plugs, since then the car hesitates to start after long drives. It ticks but won't turn over.

Spark plugs are due to be changed, is there anything else that it could be? has been slowly getting worse.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
If it won't turn over i don't see how the spark plugs would have anything to do with it? Would be the started motor?

B

Bucko

Check the battery, put the interior lights on and then try to start the car, if the lights go out it could be the battery but you will need to do a proper test before replacing it.

If you hear a click from under the bonnet but the engine doesnt turn over then it could be the starter motor.

If there is no sound at all, not even a click when you turn the ksy then it could be the power supply to the starter motor (no battery power, loose connection/earth)

I'm really not a very mechanically minded person so please don't take any of this as expert advice. I hope it helps you get closer to the problem though

Bucko

Toyota Mr2 Turbo
Yeh it ticks, It starts from cold. but struggles to start when it has been running awhile. Say if you do a long blast. Reason for plugs I was thinking if they are not the right ones, if there is to much fuel could they not be getting a spark?

B

Bucko

It does sound like an intermitent fault on the starter motor but i've never experienced it myself with it only happening with the car warmed up.

Someone else may be able to explain that?...