ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car won't start after installing new battery

1.2 16v Dynamique
Hi everyone!

Sorry if this is classed as spam but I posted on my previous thread in the electrical fault section but I believe that this fault is best suited here, not where my old thread currently is and I fear it will get overlooked!!

Basically my car won't start, I was turning the key and literally nothing apart from the speedometer needle was bouncing. I tried multiple times to start it, jump start it and charge the battery but it wasn't doing anything so I went a picked up a brand new battery hoping to solve the problem. It's better than it was but it still doesn't want to start! All the lights, radio and central locking work and it's trying to fire up but it wont! I'm not sure I'm using the right terminology here but it's 'ticking over but not firing up?' Haha sorry my car knowledge isn't great so you may have to bear with me! Anyone any ideas?

I have a 2002 1.2 dynamique! Here's my original thread regarding an electrical fault if you would like to get a little more information about the car, I really hope I don't p**s anyone off by starting a new thread for this, if I do I apologise :)

Cheers everyone!

Matt.

1.2 16v Dynamique
Again, I apologise if you think I am spamming I really do not mean to but here is a sound clip of it trying to start after a new battery to try and outline the problem a bit more!

[video=vimeo;17348929]http://www.vimeo.com/17348929[/video]

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Matt

1.2 16v Dynamique
Sorry to bump guys but in a couple of weeks I need to use my car to get back to Wales from Bournemouth lol :/ Does any one know what could be wrong here? Thanks in advance!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Hard to say from a a sound clip I'm afraid but if you need the car I recommend you get it looked at by a garage or someone that actually knows what they're on with as I think it's gonna be beyond your ability (No offence).

You need three things to make an engine run... Fuel, Oxygen and an Ignition source. You need to check which one(s) of these are missing first of all before you can even begin to find and fix what is wrong. If its lack of fuel or ignition causing the no start you then need to understand the cars circuit designs and then trace any faults in them. It could be a simple fuse, it could be a buggered pump, imobilliser or even crank position sensor... Welcome to the wonderful world of vehicle diagnostics ;)

Mick

Clio 197
did it start when you first replaced the battery and then didnt at a later time? if so you might have a electricity drain somewhere - have you recently changed anything electrical before this problem started?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
You need three things to make an engine run... Fuel, Oxygen and an Ignition source.

Dont forget compression! ;)

did it start when you first replaced the battery and then didnt at a later time? if so you might have a electricity drain somewhere - have you recently changed anything electrical before this problem started?

Doesn't sound like it mate, the start motor is turning fine, more than fast enough to start the engine,
implies that there is no lack of power what so ever!

Did it cut out while running??
or was it running perfectly, and just not start next time??
Or did it run perfectly, start first time the next time and konk out??

Does it ever catch? (start for like a split second) or does it just keep turning over and over??
have you tried spraying easy start in??
any new dash lights?

My steps would be as follows!

1. when you crank it (turn it over with the starter motor) does it feel any quicker than it used to?? or softer?
If so then its probs a cambelt snap, so youll have to get a new engine or strip the head off.
(thats unlikely if it didnt cut out while running)

2. If it feels normal Check to see if its sparking,
take each spark plug out, rest them on a clean, metal part of the engine (rocker cover) and crank it, you should see a blue spark jump accross the contacts. (please be very careful when doing this, or get someone who know what theyre doing, DO NOT hold the plug while doing it, preferably not even the HT lead. Rest it somewhere so it does not need any support from yourself!)

If its not sparking, try cleaning up/buying new; plugs, HT leads, Coilpack, Crank Sensor (it might get costly)
If it still doesnt spark, its probs an ECU fault, youll need a garage!

3. If it does spark, check the feul pump,
4. if feul pump is priming (making that high pitch whine under the back seats when you turn the ignition on) do a compression test,
(once again, compression issues are unlikely if it ran perfectly last time)

if no compression, check the cambelt,
take the head off to find why it has no compression,
replace head gasket,

4. If all of that is fine, it will be down to your injectors/ECU, at which point, id go to a garage personally.

Last edited:
  1.2 16v Dynamique
This is great feedback thank you guys!

Mick - No offence taken what so ever lol, I'm just hoping it's something me and my mate (more mechanical knowledge) could try and fix before resorting to the garage! :/

Clio142 - Thank you for your suggestions! It was having a little trouble starting before it died, I needed to tap the accelerator slightly to make sure it did, but then it wouldn't start after leaving it for a few days, once it was running it ran perfectly though! It doesn't catch at all no, just does exactly what the clip shows over and over. I'll try to see if it's sparking, I did change the spark plugs a couple of months ago and hardly used the car really so they should be fine, I will clean and test them though! The head gasket is just over 6 months old so I can't imagine it's that!

I've recently had an electrical fault where it was going into limp mode, at first I thought it was the coil pack or HT leads but I had a new clutch and it solved it, haven't had the problem since but maybe it may be the Ht leads or coil?

Megane dci 130
What is the red imobiliser light doing when you turn the ignition on? It should be flashing slowly when the ignition is off, turn the ignition on and it should go solid for 2 seconds then go out completely.

Make sure it does that, its the 1st thing to do.

1.2 16v Dynamique
Hi shepperdspie - The immobiliser light flashes when off, I can't start the car to see what it does when the ignition is on though I'm afraid. When trying to start all of the lights come on as normal, not one in particular!

I think he means when you are trying to get it to start what does the light do, does it go off or does it just come on solid red?

monaco 172
nobody has mentioned tdc sensor?

i had exact same problem on my old 1.2, changed tdc and problem solved. 18 quid iirc

1.2 16v Dynamique
Beef-Mc - I believe it stays solid with the rest of the other lights, what it should be doing right?

hipwell - I'll give the TDC sensor a clean and try it! How will I know if it's knackered and needs replacing?

Cheers guys!

clio 1.2 16v dyna
I have exsactly the same problem, with the same model, year and engine. The coil pack has been replaced, and the crank sensor... but it still fails. its only when its cold though, so could it be a temperature sensor?

Megane dci 130
Solid red imobiliser light means the imobiliser light isnt being recieved by the injection computer (or the injection computer is not communicating). This Normally happends after you change the battery.

Try, turning the ignition on (but not starting it) for about 30 seconds. Then off. Then lock and unlock the car. They try and start it. Normally sets them again.

Failing that, check all the fuses.

Cayman S Edition 1
My wife's RB182 had a similar problem starting from cold. I changed all the spark plugs and now it's fine.

1.2 16v Dynamique
It starts! Great news! It was the immobiliser trick that did it, thanks for the advice! Not all good news though, it has an electrical fault light on now, any idea what that could be linked to due to the issues i've had or is it a case of checking things?

Thanks again!

1.2 16v Dynamique
I thought it was OK until earlier it went into limp mode...had to pull over for a bit and it was okay but not great! Shot in the dark but lamba sensor? ive heard this may put it into limp mode? x

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Can I suggest you get a garage to look at the car 1.2 has lots of faults and you cant just have a stab in the dark

Megane dci 130
People get confused with "limp mode" on here. Its normally only "turned on" when there is a fault with the FBW throttle as it is a failsafe alowing you to get off the motor way etc.
The 1.2's have numerous problems with throttle bodys/wireing looms and even throttle pedals. Best get it checked out.

1.2 16v Dynamique
Cheers for the help guys, I think by getting it checked out is the best option. The reason I ask these questions is not only to see if it is an easy fix, but as I am at university in Bournemouth, I do not know any garages or mechanics down here and fear getting ripped off, especially as I have little money! Cheers for the help!

Megane dci 130
Pitty, my mrs goes to bournemouth uni and i regularly go there to visit. But shes just finished for xmas!

Westfield, 182, 200
Bringing up an old threads!

This cured my lads car! The battery went flat amd all i got was a solid immobiliser light, so switched ignition on for 30 seconds, key out, lock and unlock doors and it fired up!

Cheers!