ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car Wandering

Alibi Blue Clio 197
Having a bit of an issue with my 172 Sport. The car seems to be wandering over the road at speed, needing slight corrective inputs on the steering to remain on course. Faster you go the worse it gets. I thought it may be the tyre pressures at first but looking on here I have rectified that and taken an average PSI off several peoples posts so we now run at 30PSI. This has helped a bit but the issue is still there and it's a bit unnerving. There is no vibration or wheel wobble either. I haven't jacked the car up yet and removed the wheels for a good poke / pry around so just wandered if anyone else has had any experience of this issue. Car is currently on 76k miles on standard wheels / tyre size.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
I get this on the Megane and have absolutely no idea what is causing it.

Decided to change all drop links, wishbones, track rod ends etc and will see if that sorts it :rolleyes:

Alibi Blue Clio 197
I'm off for a fortnight so I'm going to move the rally car out the garage and get the Sport in and have a ferkle around. I am thinking track rod ends or bottom ball joints. I may just change the lot for arguments sake and see how we go. I will report back on me findings! Hope it aint cold in the garage.............lol

Alibi Blue Clio 197
Loz' I'm not planning on having a look until Monday so if your doing this tomorrow would you report back Dude, and let us know if you cure the issue you have?? Would appreciate it matey!

Clio 182 Cup (FF)
I've got the parts from ECP today so will be having a look tomorrow. I think it maybe my inner tie rods so I'll write back

Clio 182 Cup (FF)
Well I've changed the tie rod ends and it does feel better...not so vague.
However the ball joints proved to be difficult. The nuts are almost seized on...I had a propane torch on it for a while. I'll attempt changing them again tomorrow. Left wd40 all over the nuts and bolts

Alibi Blue Clio 197
Nice one, had a look at mine and its deffo the track rod ends!!! The offside one has vertical movement and the nearside, oh dear oh dear, I'm amazed it's held it has that much movement always round! So going to buy 2 x ends tomorrow and fit them on then have it tracked again.

Alibi Blue Clio 197
Wandering now sorted. New track rod ends fitted x 2, the nearside one just fell out! Tracking adjusted ( 6mm of toe - in!!) and its all back to normal. No wandering issues at all now.

Clio Sport 182
Hi all,

Brought a second hand Clio Sport 182 the other day, and i think iv got the same problem, when i drive it seems to want to pull me to the right....when i try and carry my speed through corners it feels like it wants to roll or torque steer in odd directions.

Iv never felt this before in any car iv driven. Is this the same thing you were getting?

Clio 182 Cup (FF)
Sounds the same as my issue. I've changed the tie rod ends and it's helped.
But I will looking at changing the tie rods soon.

BMW E92 320D
Sounds like the same problem yes, but generally this is caused by your tracking being WAY out.

One front wheel pulls your in one direction and the other wheel in the other direction. I've had that before without having to change the tie rod ends. You can get your tracking checked for free. If not proceed with the tie rods.

Clio 182 Cup (FF)
Just to update this thread.

I changed the tie rod ends and checked the condition of the lower ball joints the steering did improve.

But I but the bullet and got the tracking done...and like magic its back to how it should be.
Turns out my alignment was very off, in fact it was +1.0 degrees! On the left at least.

They have aligned the car to - 1.3 degrees. Is that correct?

Looking for 182
How much would it cost to get a complete refresh of parts to sort stuff like this? (parts and labour)

Mine is wandering all over the place, I need to get my tracking/alignment done, but I'm also keen to get things like balljoints/rod ends, or whatever other bits could affect this, replaced.

Black Gold Trophy
Parts

Track Rods about £50 per side
Track rod ends about £15 per side
Ball joints about £12 per side

Looking for 182
Parts

Track Rods about £50 per side
Track rod ends about £15 per side
Ball joints about £12 per side

Thanks Jack, is that parts only?

Any guides on how to fit them? I've managed to do my brake discs, brake pads, coilovers, and a few other little bits and bobs before, but for some reason these bits scare me a little, probably because I don't even know what they look like.

Biggest reason for not DIY'ing with steering joints is aligning the toe setting again afterwards. Replacing the parts isn't the problem