ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car ramps

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Ok so I had a near miss last weekend when the car slipped off the axle stand I had it on and trapped my knee under it and give me quite a bad arm so I’m looking to buy something that stops me having to use a jack and axle stands.

I dont have the head clearance or the space realistically for a proper 2 poster ramp so I’m looking at half lift stuff and stuff that’s preferably portable. Any experiences and or recommendations?

I’m not too bothered on price currently as it’s a small price to pay for my life. Last week was too close to being my last

Jesus, lucky escape then. Where were the axel stands placed?

It happened to me on the Clio once where I had the front stands to far back on the chassis beams and when taking the rear wheels off it tipped forward. I just place them right next to the a-frames now, no issues since.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I can’t believe your knee dented the car!

Are you walking ok?

Yeah knee is just black and blue lol, my arm took the brunt of it though and is still difficult to move. Thankfully my leg wasn’t any further under otherwise I recon I’d have lost it.

@JB21 i was taking the car off the stands when it slipped off the remaining one. I normally put the stands on the rear of the subframe.

I’ve never been happy working on a car on axle stands and this incident has just reinforced that, hence the post here:grimacing:

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Sounds frightening Jeff. I use axle stands a lot, but always leave the trolley jack raised around the location where i am working
Shortly getting a lightweight trolley jack, then i will use 2 still raised as a back up to axle stands

Its working on ramps that concerns me for some reason

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
It was a wake up call, I’ve never been happy working under axle stands but needs must, and I’ll be doing it this week at some point no doubt but I want something a bit... safer?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
There was a chap in Kent last year, hit the headlines, got killed working under a car without axle stands, the jack gave way. He was there couple hours apparently

Not trying to pee you off, i dont liking getting well under either, but if you go under then its axle stands AND trolley jack for me

I wanted a house with a large pit, when we moved 5 year ago, and a double garage- wife didnt like the house.....😂

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I'd love one of these, seem very popular.
23b79f8a65df16ff044d36ed0e0aa278.jpg

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
After a fireman mate told me a story a few weeks ago, I'll never work properly underneath a car again.
If you don't need to remove the wheels, then the drive up style ramps are probably the safest?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
After a fireman mate told me a story a few weeks ago, I'll never work properly underneath a car again.
If you don't need to remove the wheels, then the drive up style ramps are probably the safest?
I've been working under cars on axel stands for years and years. From Aston Martin's to Mini's and never had any issues I removed the rear diff/suspetion on my car on my drive, again without any problems, it didn't entry and kill me but then I know where to place the stands.

Axel stands are safe, it's the people that place them under the car that are not.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I like that ranger hydraulic lift - ticks a lot of the boxes but not entirely sold on them.

If I could keep the wheels on I normally would but a lot of work requires the wheels to be off

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Yeah I like that ranger hydraulic lift - ticks a lot of the boxes but not entirely sold on them.

If I could keep the wheels on I normally would but a lot of work requires the wheels to be off
I think they do a larger type mate, just one big ramp with a low lift height. Car detailers use them.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
For my final year at uni I sent out a questionnaire about vehicle safety etc and did a lot of research into it all. The amount of people who had vehicles fall off axle stands and ramps was incredible. Granted a lot were using incorrect methods to secure the car (bricks and milk crates come to mind) but the rest were using proper methods.

I did design a product that I'm hoping to take forward (have the design right for it etc.) but it's finding the time now I'm at work all the time!
Virtually eliminates a lot of the risk associated with jacking and securing a car but like I say, it's still in development so doesn't help you now!

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
The diameter of the struts on the New Ranger lift hardly look substantial to me. Sure they are fit for purpose but lifting the whole car by the looks, not so sure I'd feel comfortable. Pistons can give.

Least with a trolley jack placed in the area that you are working for insurance, with axle stands that are usually pretty meaty, is not far off best what a DIYer can achieve IMO

Or- the best option- a Pit. No jacking of the car, no balancing, no creaking etc etc

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
A pit is no use and it gets in the way.

When hydraulics give they go gently, not suddenly like an axle stand, plus that ranger has a safety pole I the hydraulics do give

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
For my final year at uni I sent out a questionnaire about vehicle safety etc and did a lot of research into it all. The amount of people who had vehicles fall off axle stands and ramps was incredible. Granted a lot were using incorrect methods to secure the car (bricks and milk crates come to mind) but the rest were using proper methods.

I did design a product that I'm hoping to take forward (have the design right for it etc.) but it's finding the time now I'm at work all the time!
Virtually eliminates a lot of the risk associated with jacking and securing a car but like I say, it's still in development so doesn't help you now!
Something that attaches to the hub and lifts the car that way?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Something that attaches to the hub and lifts the car that way?
Attaching to a hub compresses the suspension when lifting, which means you may as well just drive onto ramps. Only good if wanting to work on the exhaust and stuff really!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My biggest issue with cars is, the place you jack it up is where you wanna put the axle stands.

When I jack mine I have the jack, axle stands and bricks holding it.

P-Co

ClioSport Club Member
  Hyundai Santa Fe
Just to add to this, i've been looking for something small and easy for lifting in the garage and the ranger lift i thought was a bit flimsy too until i watched this video of them

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Just to add to this, i've been looking for something small and easy for lifting in the garage and the ranger lift i thought was a bit flimsy too until i watched this video of them

That’s pretty impressive - I’d still like to see one under failure though

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
The thing for me is it could fail with 10 tons on it or 1 ton on it either way I’m toast if it’s safety feature (that little bar) is useless. Hence I’d like to see one fail under lid to see how that handles it. That’s when it becomes worth the money imo

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
The reason this whole thing came about though was because the axle stand slipped, so really it didn't fail at all.

Whether it was down to incorrect placement or the sill giving way, either way the stand didn't fail.

The same could happen with those ramps, probably a lot less likely but it could still happen.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
The reason this whole thing came about though was because the axle stand slipped, so really it didn't fail at all.

Whether it was down to incorrect placement or the sill giving way, either way the stand didn't fail.

The same could happen with those ramps, probably a lot less likely but it could still happen.
Read post 17. [emoji106]

browno

ClioSport Club Member
If you are thinking of investing in a lift, I would say go and do it - I had a garage built a couple of years ago and made sure I had enough left in budget to buy a scissor lift - which I sourced from BH Repairs, who I chose as they aren't far from me, and are also a lift repair/servicing company, not just a importer/reseller of Chinese kit (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobile-c...972805?hash=item3624d1f245:g:QcQAAOSw7NNUHI9R) and it has been great - I have used it for a range of jobs on my MX5, clio and also building my exocet kit - next job is looking like the cambelt on my brother's newly acquired cup.
I have found it a great balance of convenience and useability for my (normal height!) garage - it lifts to 1.25m (4ft) which is great for doing most jobs - leaving you a nice working height and plenty of space to get under and around the car... not the cheapest, but certainly a good addition to the garage - and on the safety question it has a substantial mechanical ratchet-type locking system which will hold it in place should the hydraulics fail.
35636319735_18dce7a89a_b.jpg
D1CBEE24-F81A-4415-B3EB-B54536EDA45E_zpsajbzgeyi on Flickr

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
If you were to accidentally kick one of those out though, what would happen?

You can’t do it by accident. The pin is long. And underweight secures it. Needs to be lifted to take it out. We kinda tested it with a rubber mallet. Under weight it barely moves. Maybe 3-4mm at a time. So to slide 150mm of the pin there is a lot of “accidental” knocking needed. Unfortunately might not be the best solution for a daily lol
a810742f010478dfb11f6dd4e79c93e7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk