ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car polisher/buffer

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Its about time i give my car a good going over with a polisher/buffer as i think the previous owner liked driving through those roller type car washes.

The carbon black paint is covered in lots of swirls and needs a lot of TLC.

I spotted the likes of this on ebay: (Whats the thoughts?)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Top-car-boat-...hash=item200239032772&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

or this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOP-CAR-BOAT-...hash=item370068544481&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

Bear in mind this car is only ever going to be done once as im not the anal type about keeping paint work looking like glass.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
i was goigng to buy 1 of them first sets seems decent quality . let me know how it goes if you get 1 .

Ian

Focus TDCi
If you're only doing it once, I'd ask around and see if you could borrow somebody elses, or if you could pay for them to do it. I've not heard of either of those pieces of kit, but it does strike me that you're gonna be left with a fair few unused pads etc, whichever one you buy!

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Well to be honest i do change my cars brave and often so it could turn out to be a useful piece of kit to have handy for the selling times.

I dont really want to go to the expense of the Porter kit for all it would be used.

Megane R26
I wouldn't try and use that for any paint correction, without getting used a to dual action polisher first - you could do some serious damage.

It would be fine on a slow speed to work in a mild abrasive filler polish like AutoGlym Super Resin Polish, but otherwise, I'd steer clear!!

If you can afford an M3, then surely £200 on a G220 and polish kit isn't a massive investment?

Otherwise, pay a detailer to correct the paint.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
I wouldn't try and use that for any paint correction, without getting used a to dual action polisher first - you could do some serious damage.

It would be fine on a slow speed to work in a mild abrasive filler polish like AutoGlym Super Resin Polish, but otherwise, I'd steer clear!!

If you can afford an M3, then surely £200 on a G220 and polish kit isn't a massive investment?

Otherwise, pay a detailer to correct the paint.

Ah some sense! Whats the difference though between that and the Meguiars G220?

The only buffing ive done before was with a draper polisher on my first clio and one of those shitty hand held things on a 325i i bought years ago.

Megane R26
The Megs G220 is a 'dual action random orbital buffer' - basically the turning pattern of the head make it nearly impossible to 'burn' through your clearcoat to the paint - so it is very user friendly and very safe with the right polishes and pads.

Any standard 'rotary' needs to be used with care at the best of times. You can achieve correction a lot quicker (if you know what you are doing) but with that speed comes inherent risk.

It is recommended that you practice on scrap panels etc for quite a while before using it on a car. They can be very dangerous...

For a cheaper option, you can pick up a used Porter Cable 7424 for about £100, which is pretty much the same thing as the Megs G220, but imported from the US.

The other problem you have is that BMW paint is VERY hard, so is therefore difficult to correct, but with the right polish/pad combo (something like Menz 3.02 and Sonus SFX1 pad), you can remove all of the defects, but expect to spend a day on it!

Megane R26
It's just not worth the risk on something as nice as your car is.

The Megs G220 can be used by anyone, but you need to invest a fair amount of time into getting the best out of it.

For that money though, you can get a professional to correct your car for you - about £200ish.

Trophy #267
rotaries for the men, da for the girls :p

btw if your going for a rotary get they orange bodied silverline not the one in those auctions which is the cheaper one