ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car feeling skatty on the road ? Any ideas ?

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Hi lads, since I've bought the cup recently the only thing that lets it down is when you want to give it some over a back road it feels really skatty and all over the shop. When you out your foot down it's horrific but when driving normally it's not bad really.

can only describe it as feeling like it's got a lot of torque steer, which is impossible as it's got shite all torque lol.

Any ideas ?
Need to check all bushes etc underneath, thinking it may be relating to the steering rack bushes or track rod ends possibly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Not had it aligned no, good shout, tyre pressures at 30psi all round for road

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
It'll be tramlining on the road which would point to alignment, track rods, track rod ends etc.

What size tyres have you got as well as 205's are supposedly worse for it than 195's.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Tramlining that's the word I was looking for, like if there's any imperfections or changes in the road surface it follows it! Is it worth just getting alignment done first or replace trackrod ends first ?

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Have you got a hunter alignment centre nearby.Had the same in my cup and after genuine tie rods and track rods and full alignment car was transformed.Be worthwhile as you get a print out showing what the alignment is and if it's out

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Yeh I've got just over -2 degrees of camber on the front and it's terrible for tramlining.

I replaced both the track rods and ends on mine recently as they were knackered. If they havent been done, for the cost id definitely replace them as they can wear with time. If you replace track rods and/or ends you'll need it aligning anyway.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Have you got a hunter alignment centre nearby.Had the same in my cup and after genuine tie rods and track rods and full alignment car was transformed.Be worthwhile as you get a print out showing what the alignment is and if it's out

Yeah my friend actually does it at a local bodyshop

May price up rods and ends for each side and get it tracked after fitting, what they like to do ? Simple enough?

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Yeh I've got just over -2 degrees of camber on the front and it's terrible for tramlining.

I replaced both the track rods and ends on mine recently as they were knackered. If they havent been done, for the cost id definitely replace them as they can wear with time. If you replace track rods and/or ends you'll need it aligning anyway.

If I do have any camber on the front it's unintentional lol but it is fairly low so it's a possibility. I'll price up for both sides,

I was initially thinking the steering rack bushes? But everyone seems to be saying to do the track rods and ends so I'll try those first

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Lowering naturally increases negative camber so that could be one issue. Definitely get yourself to a hunter system.

www.alignmycar.co.uk

That site lists all the hunter systems in the UK

You stick your postcode in and away you go.

Thanks bud, will definately need doing, especially once I've done track rods

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
If I do have any camber on the front it's unintentional lol but it is fairly low so it's a possibility. I'll price up for both sides,

I was initially thinking the steering rack bushes? But everyone seems to be saying to do the track rods and ends so I'll try those first

Get under car and have someone turn steering from lock to lock, if you see movement in the rack bushes they're past it. I thought mine were on the way out buy when I got under the car there was no movement in them whatsoever.

Rods and ends is an easy enough job.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Obvious answer. It's winter season and you have a cup. Lol.

In seriousness. I have -1.5 front and back, ado8 tyres and the tracking is spot on. I have no issues and drives well. Tyres are 205/45/16. What semi slicks have you got? Getting the alignment checked is good. Also check if there is anything loose, track rod ends, ball joints etc. Shocks ok?

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Hi give renault parts direct a call ask for Nigel. I got garage too fit mine, did the track and tie rods and then hunter alignment again and car was great after.Also before and imo worth doing was getting powerflex rack bushes purple ones.Donto think their expensive as euro car parts stock them.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
You also did a track day in this recently? Drive ok then?

Yeah seemed to be ok, I just notice it more when driving for long distances or over back roads it's bloody horrible haha, motorways are horrible too, got lots of tyre roar and the car follows the indents the trucks leave so it steers itself in the first lane lol

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Have you got spacers fitted? that is one of the biggest culprits to unpredictable handling.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Use semi slicks on it 195/50 all same tread levels no feathering etc

No spacers fitted and cars on coilovers and pretty low, rear shocks went on last clio and it was all over the place this just likes to follow imperfections in the road and when you put your foot down seems to very wayward, as a few people have said from what I've read on others threads it's down to the steering components, gunna jack the car up and test the wheels for movement and do all the other checks over Christmas

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
It'll be the alignment.

£1 says it's toeing out more than the factory spec of 12 mins total.

30psi is a tad low too on the front, stick 33-34 in.

Hmm well if it's worth £1 I may just get it checked first before changing any parts [emoji848] can get the alignment done free new year so maybe worth just waiting till then