ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car cleaning/detailing

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
Ok so I used to wash my car old Clio weekly and it did look good but now I'm reading more about detailing and I love it! Not sure what the best ways are or how to do it right but il get there! I'm looking at getting my new car in the next week or so and just trying to get some detailing stuff ready. I quite like the sound of dodo juice I dno y just sounds good tbf. So what would people on here do? What brand to go for? What to get? I want shampoo, wax, clay, polish and a machine polisher the full works! Any help or tips welcome! Thank you!:approve:

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Dont get carried away and stick to a few core decent products. Dont keep buying buying pap.

Honda & VW
Personally I wouldn't just jump straight in like you appear to be wanting to do. Get on a good product website I.e. I4detailing, cleanyourcar etc and start with getting the basics (buckets. Wash mitts, shampoo, drying towel).

However if you do really want to go and buy everything then again these sites will assist you as they are well laid out and give a short description of the product.

If you are keen to get the lot what's your budget likely to be?

one of these two is a very good start, basicly everything you need:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_782885_langId_-1_categoryId_165671
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_166211_langId_-1_categoryId_165671

i have the second one, the £53 one with a few extra bits and its amazing. theyv got different stuff in them so just depends on what you want really. but there extreamly good value for money, well worth it

I would disagree. There are better products out there. These kits always contain products you won't use more than once, usually because you find out there are better options. So they can be a waste of money.

I would suggest you start with the simple processes. "Detailing" covers such a wide range of products, techniques and processes.

So let's start at the beginning, i.e. preventing swirls - what do you currently use for washing and drying?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Good luck JD.

And to the OP stay off DW if you value your income, it's a health hazard.

I have more time on my hands at this time of year (the art of delegation) so am happy to write more.

Love the fact that Alan, AR, Paul and Markie have fooked off!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Pmsl, I don't even think Ali knows where this section is anymore.

I'll get posting again once the weather improves, the car is a disgrace at the moment.

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
Well on my old Clio I always used supergard which wernt to bad, and I used a sponge, and a drying towel! I have about £200

Ouch.

OK, first, throw the sponge and Superguard out.

Secondly, follow the links to your new setup;

Wash Mitt - http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Sonus_Genuine_Wool_Car_Wash_Mitt_1.html
Shampoo - http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Dodo_Juice_Born_To_be_Mild_Shampoo_1.html
+ at least two cheapo buckets.
Drying towel - http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/I4D_Uber_Premium_Drying_Towel_1.html

That will take a minimal amount of you budget. Next would be best to look at clay kits, polish, wax/sealant and trim. Wheels as well.

soon to be 182 ;)
i am in the same position mate, JD and everyone on here have been very help full. have a look on polished bliss there are some really good guides :)

btw if you have any doubts about anything (i did) start off with the simple things and you will already see the difference :)

Last edited:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I have more time on my hands at this time of year (the art of delegation) so am happy to write more.

Love the fact that Alan, AR, Paul and Markie have fooked off!

Pmsl, I don't even think Ali knows where this section is anymore.

I'll get posting again once the weather improves, the car is a disgrace at the moment.

lol. No no, i'm just a summer detailer...Infact i can't even call myself that!

My winter washing technique consists of - The Polish folk on the 3rd level of the Bon Accord Centre! Yassss!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Then get polishing! No point in buyin expensive sealants/waxes etc if you've not done the ground work.

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
I would but ent even got a car yet :p will be getting it as soon as the right one is for sale!!

soon to be 182 ;)
I would but ent even got a car yet :p will be getting it as soon as the right one is for sale!!

bit of a pointless threat atm then or are you buying stuf before? because different sealents etc will be better for different colours

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Sealants don't make a blind hit of difference for colours. Some have different chemicals in them which will boost the flake (usually more oil based)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Different needs. Not everyone needs the same products and the only reason I still detail is to try new products!

Jd is always recommeding the same stuff Toddnoob.

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
I'm buying stuff before so I'm ready and gives me sumthink to do with the car!