ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cant you just . .

When feeding the 12v to the amp, can you just take a feed off the supply to the stereo or from the light in the boot??

No, because the wire wouldnt be good enough.. You need thick cabling.. so an amp wiring kit (or just amp power supply cable) straight to the battery is the way!

Daz.

No, always take a direct feed !! Im no expert so someone tell me to shut up if this is wrong but Ive put in a couple of amps. A mate of mine used to insist it was easier to take the feed off of the lighter socket on the dash, splaying the wire and soldering the amp wire on, that was until his dash started to melt everywhere, A: a fire risk and B: it fecking stinks !! Just get loads of cable from the battery, through the grommet in the engine bay and tucked in the trim around the doors.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Laner on 27 March 2003

When feeding the 12v to the amp, can you just take a feed off the supply to the stereo or from the light in the boot??
if you like seeing your car burnt out then go ahead, the ampage of the wire has to be sufficient to carry the current that you intend to send .. I think the lighter socket is 10 amp, which is more than most lines but still not enough for amp.

It a little like a lightbulb.. pass a lot of current through a small wire and it will heat up (in a light bulbs case, producing heat and white light)