ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon 400d Accessories

SchwepTek™
So far I have the 400d with kit lens, small Canon carry case, battery grip, 4gb extreme CF card.

I am looking at getting the Speedlite 430ex and Lowepro Slingshot 100aw but am also after a few new lenses.

Defo going to get the 50mm 1.8 but i need a reasonable telephoto lens up to 300mm for up to £150. Have been reccomeneded the Sigma 70-300 apo but i wondered if people have had much experience with the cheaper Canon telephotos such as the 75-300, 90-300 and 100-300???

Also is there anything i could do with getting?

Cheers! :)

Lee

BMW M2C
I've still got my old Canon 90 - 300. It's fine for static stuff in good light, but sucks for pretty much everything else. It's not good for fast moving objects, cars for example!

I had a play with the 50mm 1.8 the other week. Nice fun lens. I'll be adding one of those to my collection at some point.

SchwepTek™
I've still got my old Canon 90 - 300. It's fine for static stuff in good light, but sucks for pretty much everything else. It's not good for fast moving objects, cars for example!

I had a play with the 50mm 1.8 the other week. Nice fun lens. I'll be adding one of those to my collection at some point.

The only thing i want it for is panning motorsport shots on track! lol

Lee

BMW M2C
I was only learning when I got mine, but I couldn't get decent shots with it. They were always pretty soft.

This was it's first outing: http://www.rapidpants.com/images/gallery/motors/2005/TunerGP/

It was a bright day so they aren't bad, but I had a fast shutter speed so the images are very static looking.

A nasty wet day at Mallory, not sharp at all: http://www.rapidpants.com/images/gallery/motors/2005/mallory261205/index.html

More here, again soft: http://www.rapidpants.com/images/gallery/motors/2006/mallory140406/index3.html

I'm still learning, but these are much better. Taken with a Canon 70-200m F4 L some with the 1.4 extender: http://www.rapidpants.com/images/gallery/motors/2008/WSR/index2.html
http://www.rapidpants.com/images/gallery/motors/2007/FOS/index13.html

On the 90 - 300m the zoom is very slow and clunky too, which makes keeping it steady even harder.

A4 Avant
At that price point I was told to forget the Canon zoom. In tests the sigma out performed the Canon. Go for the APO version if you can. I used mine for a year and a half without problems and was impressed with it's performance. It's not perfectly sharp, but you'll get uesable results.

I use my 50mm prime most of the time and love it.

Bus w**ker
After much review reading, asking and some more reading I opted for the Sigma 70-300 DG APO. It's not the fastest lens in the world but that's probably my only grumble for the money. The Canon's all seem to get slated for lack of clarity and poor build quality. I got mine from OneStop Digital, and it arrived in 3 days with no customs charge, although I'm not sure if duty is due on digital camera accessories.

I've also got the Canon 50mm 1.8, but I've hardly even used it. That said though most of my shots are show/track based so I've never really had much use for it. Although a lot of people rave about it for different type of work.

My problem now is that I spent all day at FCS using a Canon 70-200mm L with a 1.4x extender on...and now none of my glass compares for sharpness or focal speed :(.

I'd go Sigma 70-300 DG APO on a budget, I'd also get a bigger bag than the 100AW, its tiny and I'd imagine you'll out grow it quick...

SchwepTek™
I'd go Sigma 70-300 DG APO on a budget, I'd also get a bigger bag than the 100AW, its tiny and I'd imagine you'll out grow it quick...

Well i'm thinking about getting the 70-200 F4L when i go to NY in August! Is it ok to use an extender on that?

Cool, will 200AW be big enough then?

A4 Avant
^^ A 1.4 extender should be ok on that as you only lose one f-stop making it an f5.6 lense. Anything above this (2x converter) and I think the lense shall struggle to auto focus if at all.

Yup its fine, use my 70-200 F4L successfully with a Kenko Pro 1.4x TC when needed.

If your getting such big lenses I'm not sure even the 300AW will be big enough, I was going to get a 200 before holding one and realising how small it was.

SchwepTek™
Its only going to be the one big lens. Then my kit lens and 50mm and flash. Thought the 200 would be ok?!?!

Quite like the idea of the rucksack bags and slingshot seemed to be nicest. May have to look at others then.

It could be but go to Jessops or something and take a look, I'm sure my 350D and 70-200 was to long so you'd have to dismount to a smaller lens every time you used the bag.

SchwepTek™
OK cheers I'll go look.

Just been offered a 70-200 F4L second hand but hardly used for £300. That good?

A4 Avant
I loved the feel of the slingshot but as blue pete has said they are tiny. I ended up getting a mini trekker.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
If you havent got a bag yet subscribe to photo plus magazine and you get a lowe pro one free. Great mag as it is canon only and the bag is big enough for camera, accessories and a couple of extra lenses :)