ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

canon 18-200 IS : 40d or 50d body

Mondeo ST TDci
Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

anyone got one of these in their kit bag?

im just wondering if its worth getting this lens as part of a KIT with a new canon d40 or d50 body?

ACANOLE405141325.jpg

dk

911 GTS Cab
my 50d came with the 17-85 IS and i've never used it, always use my 17-55 F2.8 IS and 70-200L f4.0.

So i lent the 17-85 IS to my dad for his trip to china with my 350d and considering its the first time he has used a DSLR I am amazed at how good the pics are, so i would recommend that one as a kit lens with a 70-200 f4.0 L too.

the 18-200 seems to be a bit of a jack of all trades imo and will lose image quality getting towards 200 i would have thought.

Cupra
I have read mixed reviews of it. Most tend to say "jack of all trades, master of none". Could just be hear say though.

There are quite a few threads over on POTN about it. The image sample archive is here with some fairly respectable examples.

Its hard to beat on the range though especially if you dont fancy swapping lenses all the time.

Its much like the 18-200VR from Nikon I had on my D40. Was nice to have the convenience of all the zoom in 1 package but depends on your needs and if you mind changing lenses. I went back to a 2 lens set up which allowed me to go lighter when needs be as the 18-200 was a heavy beast! not sure how it compares to the Canon version.

Personally after going through 2 types of this set up, I would choose a 2 lens route.

Mondeo ST TDci
hmmm, i dont mind chaning lenses, i do it all the time on my 350d and the 40d and 50d do have more dust protection on them than im already used to.

my main aim here is to get the most from my money as im looking to upgade away from the 350d and goto either the 40d or 50d. (prob 50d)

IM just trying to decide on the kit lenses. If this lens was as good as some of my shorter ones, i could carry a lot less glass about ! (I dont have any L series glass yet.)
The only bad point ive heard about is lens creep.

Food for thought here, Cheers JJ

Ian

Focus TDCi
Which lenses do you already have Stuart? I'd be tempted to keep hold of them, buy the 50d body only and then only upgrade when you have the money to get whatever lens you really want. I held out for a 70-200mm f/4L and I'm glad I did tbh, noticeably better images straight from the camera.

My other thought is that the 18-200 is very much a consumer lens, and a 40/50d is stepping in to the semi-pro region, so it would be a shame to be putting inferior glass on the end of your body.

I think everyone needs to have a small zoom in there lens arrangement for its light weight, versatility and general all round usage.

As for lens creep - only an issue when your holding the camera towards the ground, but your more than likely to have a hand on the lens anyway so creep will not be an issue.

dk

911 GTS Cab
the difference in price between the 17-85 and the 18-200 kit is £100 when buying with the 50d, so i would stick with the 17-85 and save up for the 70-200f4.0 L to go with it and use the £100 as a starter.

The 70-200 is an AMAZING lens, its such an easy lens to get great pics out of, so fast and crisp. And in the mean time, you have the 17-85 as a starter which will do most things except things like motorsport anyway.

Mondeo ST TDci
Which lenses do you already have Stuart? I'd be tempted to keep hold of them, buy the 50d body only and then only upgrade when you have the money to get whatever lens you really want. I held out for a 70-200mm f/4L and I'm glad I did tbh, noticeably better images straight from the camera.

I would like to get some L series glass at some point.
Is the f4L about 500?

canon 28-90 1:4-5.6 II
canon 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 II
canon 75-300 1:4-5.6 III USM
canon macro ef-s 60mm 1:2.8usm
canon 28-135mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

quite a range already (some cheap kit) not sure if i should be getting rid of some of these and change over to better glass???

My other thought is that the 18-200 is very much a consumer lens, and a 40/50d is stepping in to the semi-pro region, so it would be a shame to be putting inferior glass on the end of your body.

I think everyone needs to have a small zoom in there lens arrangement for its light weight, versatility and general all round usage.

As for lens creep - only an issue when your holding the camera towards the ground, but your more than likely to have a hand on the lens anyway so creep will not be an issue.

yeh, lens creep really isnt an issue. already get similar on my 28-135 IS lens.

the difference in price between the 17-85 and the 18-200 kit is £100 when buying with the 50d, so i would stick with the 17-85 and save up for the 70-200f4.0 L to go with it and use the £100 as a starter.

The 70-200 is an AMAZING lens, its such an easy lens to get great pics out of, so fast and crisp. And in the mean time, you have the 17-85 as a starter which will do most things except things like motorsport anyway.
do u rekon my 75-300 will do motorsport on this body well?

dk

911 GTS Cab
I would like to get some L series glass at some point.
Is the f4L about 500?

canon 28-90 1:4-5.6 II
canon 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 II
canon 75-300 1:4-5.6 III USM
canon macro ef-s 60mm 1:2.8usm
canon 28-135mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

quite a range already (some cheap kit) not sure if i should be getting rid of some of these and change over to better glass???

yeh, lens creep really isnt an issue. already get similar on my 28-135 IS lens.

do u rekon my 75-300 will do motorsport on this body well?
nothing like the 70-200 will, trust me, worlds apart.

could use an extender on the lens too to make it close to 300

In all honesty:

canon 28-90 1:4-5.6 II - Sell
canon 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 II - Sell
canon 75-300 1:4-5.6 III USM - Sell
canon macro ef-s 60mm 1:2.8usm - Keep
canon 28-135mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS - Sell

Not sure how much you'll get but your overlapping a lot of range and would be better off with less higher quality kit IMO. What to get next all depends on what you want to shoot.

Personally a great kit at a reasonable price would be:

Ultra Wide: Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Sigma 10-20 or Canon 10-22

Everyday lens: 18-55 IS or Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, depends on whether you want IS or a larger aperture, if you can afford both check the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS. Then again I could be completely wrong and you might love to shoot the 28-135mm as an everyday lens!

Telephoto: Canon 70-200 F4 Non-IS, found at a good price this is a very nice lens, if you don't need IS it should be fantastic at Motor sport events where you can get reasonably close. Also consider the 70-300 IS, doesn't have the build or auto focus but has more reach and IS with a panning mode (I think). for the best of both worlds the 70-200 F4 IS should be a fantastic lens but pricey.

Annoying lens prices have gone through the roof recently.

Oh and I'd take a 40D and better lens any day.

Mondeo ST TDci
In all honesty:

Not sure how much you'll get but your overlapping a lot of range and would be better off with less higher quality kit IMO. What to get next all depends on what you want to shoot.

Personally a great kit at a reasonable price would be:

Ultra Wide: Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Sigma 10-20 or Canon 10-22

Everyday lens: 18-55 IS or Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, depends on whether you want IS or a larger aperture, if you can afford both check the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS. Then again I could be completely wrong and you might love to shoot the 28-135mm as an everyday lens!

Telephoto: Canon 70-200 F4 Non-IS, found at a good price this is a very nice lens, if you don't need IS it should be fantastic at Motor sport events where you can get reasonably close. Also consider the 70-300 IS, doesn't have the build or auto focus but has more reach and IS with a panning mode (I think). for the best of both worlds the 70-200 F4 IS should be a fantastic lens but pricey.

Annoying lens prices have gone through the roof recently.

Oh and I'd take a 40D and better lens any day.

40d over 50d? why?

Purely down to how much you have to spend. Like i'd rather have a 40D + 17-55 f/2.8 IS over a 50D + 17-85 IS if money was an issue.

Micro-adjustment, better screen and higher ISO options are nice features but cash in hand the 40D is still very capable and tempting for the saving.