ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cannon body upgrade advice

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Hi all, not really a massive poster in this section but I've currently got a 350D which has given me years of trouble free service. The screen is now getting too small for my old eyes so I'm thinking of upgrading it to a newer body with a bigger display but am unsure of what to get and as I'm a bit clueless in this area I don't want to pay over the odds.

Again, I'm not a massive photo geek so don't need anything all singing/professional but I do have my lenses and battery grip which I'd like to retain the use of if possible.

Any advise or am I looking at 400/450D only to retain the battery grip?

2014 Focus Titanium
Re: Cannon body upgrade advise

I would personally look at a 500D or 650D.

The 500 is a massive upgrade from your current, with vastly improved high ISO performance, bigger screen with 1,040,000 pixels (miles sharper), video and more. You can pick one of these up second hand for about £220, and a brand new battery grip off amazon is £15-20.

If you want yet more features the 650D has: flip out screen, dual microphone, 60fps video, 5fps shooting, wireless ETTL transmission. You can pick one of these up for about £360 second hand / reconditioned.

I went:

400D > 500D > 650D

and felt the upgrades were well worth it for the money, each one cost me about £100-120 to upgrade.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

Looking at them both I prefer the extra features of the 650D (Mainly the touchscreen and built in HDR) so think i'll go that route as the price difference isn't that much more.

Thanks for the help and pointers though

Mick

2014 Focus Titanium

Looking at them both I prefer the extra features of the 650D (Mainly the touchscreen and built in HDR) so think i'll go that route as the price difference isn't that much more.

Thanks for the help and pointers though

Mick

You won't be disappointed, the 650D is a huge upgrade from the 350D!

I used the 350D for a few years and it's a nice little camera but my 40D blew it away on ergonomics alone. I'd look around for any shops still selling the 60D body only.

I'd actually rather buy another 40D second hand than a 700D but if screen resolution is your biggest requirement maybe not!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Well, changed my mind yet again! Every secondhand 650 body that was supposedly 2-6months old seemed to be fetching silly money or was in terrible condition and I couldn't find one new for less than £480 so I decided to buy a new 700d with kit lens for £550

A bit more than I wanted to spend but its essentially the same as the 650d and I have piece of mind that is a proper Canon EMEA warranty (plus knowing it is actually new rather than refurbished).

Wow, what a difference!

2014 Focus Titanium
I used the 350D for a few years and it's a nice little camera but my 40D blew it away on ergonomics alone. I'd look around for any shops still selling the 60D body only.

I'd actually rather buy another 40D second hand than a 700D but if screen resolution is your biggest requirement maybe not!

I have to disagree on this. I've used my mates 40D for quite a lot of time and the only thing I like better about it are the size and the top LCD. Other than that the 650D has a much better screen (much sharper, bigger, flip out), better high ISO performance, 1080p video, touch screen (which actually comes in really handy, I never thought I would use it).

The 60D is a joke, almost a downgrade (or side-grade) from the 50D, but the 70D is a beaut, would love one of those!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'm not really sure why anyone would want an SLR for shooting HD Video so its not a feature I plan on using but I have to agree that the 3" touch screen in amazeballs (Coming from the 1.3" screen of the 350D anything was going to be better though really).

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not really sure why anyone would want an SLR for shooting HD Video so its not a feature I plan on using but I have to agree that the 3" touch screen in amazeballs (Coming from the 1.3" screen of the 350D anything was going to be better though really).

I got my 550 simply because it had a video feature. I've used it once or twice and not even properly in the 18 months I've had it. I should have gone for a XXD body instead.

I do however, know an awful lot of people who shoot videos on DSLR's due to the lens choice and great IQ. 5D Mk3 is the weapon of choice for most.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I prefer to use the GoPro when making p**n with the wife... The SLR just seems a bit to fiddley to me