ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can you have ITB's and a Turbo?

Clio Mk1 Hybrid
Yes you can fit throttle bodies and a turbo, but the gains of bodies over using an inlet plenum are not that big enough to justify doing so on a forced induction lump... So i heard!

Pulsars have this setup

80MPG BEEZA
na sucks it in, turbo uses exhaust gas pressure? i dont know exactly how a turbo is pressured but as i said you got the £££ you can even go to the moon

Clio Mk1 Hybrid
Throttle bodies dont suck, inlet pulses and pistons do, if you blow air through itb's they will flow it

Dave

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah course you can, every turboed and inded every car as at least 1 throttle body so why not ITBs, just be silly silly money and most likely need to do a huge amount of strengthning work to the engien to take the pressures

Clio Mk1 Hybrid
Depends what engine your starting off with.. most F7 engines i think are good for about 220-240 on a good standard bottom end, not a clue on the f4r tho...

Dave

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
i dont know alot about engines, I was just asking if it could be done on an engine, AS in physically possible. The fact i posted on cliosport doesn't mean I intended on doing it to a Renault lump :)

M

mini-valver

I wasn't incinuating fella! A Thottle body is just a point for air to be passed into the engine, wetehr it be NA suction or forced. You can Turbo, supercharge and ITB a car if you wanted.....

2005 Nissan Navara
T.B;s inherently increase volumetric efficiency of the whole inlet system, so using them with a a turbo will yield gains, and if you were building a turbo engine to the nth degree, this is what you would ideally do.
Cost implications however mean that many people at "road level" dont.
equivalent gains could be got by upping the inlet pressure by a couple of PSI.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Just wondering if you can ahev Individual throttle bodies AND a turbo on one engine?

thanks

It's possible I'm sure, but ask yourself how many you've seen with the both?

That answers the question.

If it was definately worth doing it would've happened many times. A waste of time, effort and money.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Yes you can, remember some cars have an ITB setup in the sense of the word as standard, like M3s. So when people turbo those they are ITB and Turbo, I think :)

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
Toyota 4AG has Throttle bodies as std.. you add a plenum and some form of boost.. SC or Turbo...

I dont see the point costwise of adding bodies and a turbo or sc to an engine that does not have them already.

LY 182
yes and no - you can use a turbo and indivudal throttle bodies - as mentioned the toyota 4ag and the nissan sr20det both use throttle bodies with forced induction..
but the throttle bodies need to be sealed - ie capable of running forced induction otherwise they will not function.
same way back in the old days on the old metro turbo engines the su carbs on the turbo/na cars were different

2005 Nissan Navara
as long as the fuel preesure was substantially greater than the boost pressure, they will function fine. of course they have to be sealed, they wouldnt be much good otherwise!