ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can someone recommend....

...me a head unit to buy to replace the Renault factory unit.

Ive decided to just buy a new one with CD changer and then sell my Renault changer or something.

Budget is about £300 - possibly more if I like a particular model. Im really not that fussed about the manufacturer because Im not that into my ICE. As long as it looks pretty good in the car and has some decent features, Id probably be happy.

What would really sway me is MP3 capability. Id ideally like an MP3 head unit with a 6 CD changer (non-mp3). This isnt an absolute requirement but would probably tempt me.

Can I get anything decent (with CD changer) for my budget or would my budget only cover the head unit?

Thanks for any advice

A nice headunit option would be the Alpine 7893R MP3 for £250 but thats without the changer..very nice units those.

You will be able to get a decent headunit and changer package for £300 but you would have to go for a Kenwood or low range Alpine one.

Russ

So that Alpine 7893R is a pretty high range one?

What would be the difference between that, and something like this which caught my eye --> http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/stock01/kdcm7024.asphttp://www.justkenwood.co.uk/stock01/kdcm7024.asp - I see that the Alpine one is 4 x 60w but apart from that? (and would that make a lot of difference?)

Im pretty clueless when it comes to car stereo equipment, so you might have to spell it out!

I think my problem with Alpine is that IMO they look similar to how they did 5 years ago, whereas people like Kenwood and Pioneer have changed looks a lot and become more gadgety. Im assuming Alpine are far far better in terms of quality then?

Alpine have better quality amps and components in them than their competitors. Also ive heard that they use slightly better CD lasers than most of the competition which would help produce better sound quality.

I would agree with you that Alpine headunits arent particularly pleasing on the eye but its a similar story with Nakamichi units. They have some of the best SQ on the market but unless you know what youre looking at you would swear it was a factory fitted headunit.

Out of the 2 options, I would go for the Alpine. The 7893R is the bottom model of the top range if that makes any sense as it has the better internal amp but doesnt have as many features as the top models...and obviously it has MP3.

Russ