ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can i remotely access my MAC at home with my PC at work?

If it's MacOS X, you could run sshd and access it via that - that's the best way but will be command only.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Daz said:
If it's MacOS X, you could run sshd and access it via that - that's the best way but will be command only.

Yeah, that too. :eek:

I assumed you meant GUI, if you're just after accessing files then you could setup ssh or if your not hugely security paranoid just enable the ftp and/or telnet server in System Preferences/Sharing (and configuring the firewall & your router accordingly).

Monaro VXR
sn00p said:
yes, install a VNC server. http://www.redstonesoftware.com/vnc.html

A PC user will be along shortly to tell you that you should be to using a "faster, cheaper" beige box.

well in all fairness they are now since apple have moved over the the intel architecture you literally are just paying for the nice box it comes in now since its got an intel cpu in there. and a copy of bsd which is also free.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
wozzaa said:
well in all fairness they are now since apple have moved over the the intel architecture you literally are just paying for the nice box it comes in now since its got an intel cpu in there. and a copy of bsd which is also free.

lol.

Aqua is what makes OS X "OS X", and aqua isn't free and open, neither are the frameworks which make OS X. Darwin may share it's kernel roots with bsd, but it's long since diverged.

If you installed freebsd, openbsd or darwin on a mac (as a mac user) you'd be in for a bit of a shock.

Monaro VXR
Its only software.

What annoys me about mac fans they go on and on about how macs are so good there so much more reliable etc etc etc. At the end of the day its only cause its running a unix based OS.

Im just not a fan of mac OS X. Use it at uni and still hate the damn thing. Some people may like it im not one of them :/

I wouldn't use VNC tbh, surely there's a better way than that, might take a bit more setting up but hopefully it wouldn't leave you as exposed as VNC does.