ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Renault Sport 172
Hi, may have posted this in the wrong place, if so sorry. But I was wondering what the black box in the centre of the pic is. It sometimes makes a popping kind of noise if your near enough to hear it.
Its located just in front of the drivers side wheel.

Cheers Andy

IMAG0076.jpg

172/1.2/E30
It's taking the fuel gases from the tank, saves them and sends them to the engine (inlet manifold) when running. Prevents fuel gases venting to atmosphere. EU emission regulation nonsense!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Seeing as your archliner is off, you might aswell remove it. there are some guides on here, do a quick search. I'm going to remove mine as it's ticking and annoying me! And the acoustic valve on the other side.

Renault Sport 172
Cheers for the info!
As for the acoustic valve...... surely its there for a reason.........dont really wanna be removing it if all it does is make a little more induction noise.

kwak ZX9R+golf gttdi
hiya buddy,am i right in saying in that pic,
it looks like the brackets snapped tthat holds the carbon canister and it looks very close to the tyre?!

btw,R1's are the fantastic,you got one mate? ive had 3 blue ones so far,a 98,2003 and a 2008 model.
id love an original 98 white/red one again.

Last edited:
  Renault Sport 172
Could well be right about the broken bracket!
Ive only had the car a week and its the first french car ive ever owned, This forum is information rich though which is a great help, Im learning slowly.
Ive a 99 R1 was blue until i sent it down the road and now it yellow, not to everyones taste but i like it. Pic below!!!!
I went to knockhill race circuit on it last year and it was showing up alot of new bikes, ie zx10, 2009/10 R1's and a few gixers.
Ive changed the gearing for acceleration and the thing is mental.............carb,s rule!
IPS_9396.jpgThats me at knock hill last year.
IMAG0027.jpgThis is its new livery as it stands today!
Id love red & white also, Ive got some of the red and white fairings in the garage saved for a rainy day.

kwak ZX9R+golf gttdi
fantastic mate.
the best R1 was the original carb'd animal.
worst thing i ever did,p/x my 98 for a brand new 2002/3 fuel inj model.

most folk cant even ride these new machines,all the gear,no idea.
swap bikes every year when a new one comes out and wins bike of the year in all the mags ffs.

my old rsv mille passed most gixer thou's and left my mates bikes in the twisties and it only had 120 bhp.
not what youve got,but how you ride it mate.
i loved cadwell,was always my fave track day,mountain is awesome on the back wheel lol.
bike looks ace btw pal.

Renault Sport 172
Cheers fella,
Know what you mean about the no idea bit! Plenty of em out there............
Rsv mille=shed loads of torque! Need to be brave to master the engine braking on them beasts!
Knockhill is ace when your power wheelie at 145mph at the top of the hill only to have to jam on your brakes once yourve landed it to make turn 1 off camber and downhill. Fu*king ace.
Do love love the 172 though!

kwak ZX9R+golf gttdi
oh yes,it sure takes you by surprise with the engine breaking lmao.
brill bikes though if you can get use to a v twin,alot cant as they seem like theyre slow as fook till you look at the speedo lol.
sound awesome too.

youve got the best of both worlds with the 172 and r1!!
sold my old foxeye blade recently now our newborn is here and damn im missing the old girl now the suns out and i can here bikes screaming by the bike shop up the road.:cry: