ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Camera Stolen

BMW Z4
My mate was at a fashion shoot in a club last night in Edinburgh, After the event he had a few drinks and durring that time his bag was stolen with both his cameras.
He had just bought one 2 days ago Cannon 50D i think. Proper school boy error on his part i NEVER drink when i have my camera but at the same time i am proper gutted for him.For years he has saved and done s**t jobs just to get money to buy equipment now it is all gone.
The club has CCTV footage of someone walking out with his bag but i assume by the time he goes to the police ect the camera will be long gone.
How much of youre world would fall apart if you were in his situation?

BMW Z4
The worst thing is the club was closed so its either one of the "models" or another photographer probably keeping his eye on him seeing away drinks and took his chance when he got it. Proper scummy though he must know how hard it is for a 19 Y.O to get a camera as good as that and hes just walked off with it.

BMW Z4
He is skint basically just out of college has been couch surfing for months, Had to borrow £600 from his boss (as a mate) to buy his new camera and things were finally looking up for him with a fair few jobs coming in he didnt have money to insure it.

BMW Z4
Hawke And Hunter more of a pub tbh yeh i agree he should of been more responsible but still they were all there for the same reason you'd think no one would go that low to a fellow photographer!

I'd be gutted but I'd be claiming it back on my insurance, I realise that's not what anyone wants to hear in highsight but you can get yourself fully covered for £10 a month.

Long shot but does he have any home insurance?

BMW Z4
Im not sure as he technically doesnt have a home not living with his mum but i suppose he could ask if his mum could claim, youll probably find they come back with something stupid like its not alowwed out the house after 10pm or something. Ive heard that before.

Oil Burner
Tbh if my kit got stolen i wouldnt really care (besides the issues with trying to complete that shoot or any upcoming shoots). Its all insured. I've never claimed off my insurance but still pay a pretty penny for it, i wouldnt mind a reason to make a genuine claim.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I've took my camera out to my local before now, in fact it helped me "get my name out there" for birthdays etc :)

I'd take it in a shoulder-bag with just a spare battery and a flashgun so I could pack it away if needs be.
Wouldn't get p*ssed when out with it as a mate once said "you may-as-well be driving with a camera that size!" :drunk:

BMW Z4
Yeah we both do night club events for a bit extra cash and he always drinks after but thats because he can leave his bag behind reception there, where as this time he just left his bag on a seat. He had 2 cannons not sure exactly which ones 2 flashguns one a nikon SB-800 speedlight which i was about to buy of him ( i am gutted about this :() he had everything and now its all gone, Although he has found out it was one of the models that walked straight to his bag over the shoulder and away out again. Police have been round not spoke to him since so dont know whats happening.

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
If he can afford (just) a Canon 50D and another camera (and all the accessories) and a few drinks, then I am sure he could have saved the additional £180-£200 for dedicated camera insurance or even to put it on his contents insurance.

I have all my kit covered with aaduki, no point spending £5k+ and losing it all in one night

If he can afford (just) a Canon 50D and another camera (and all the accessories) and a few drinks, then I am sure he could have saved the additional £180-£200 for dedicated camera insurance or even to put it on his contents insurance.

I have all my kit covered with aaduki, no point spending £5k+ and losing it all in one night

I think mine was about £30. Certainly not hundreds.

DB.

BMW 440i
If he can afford not to look after it, he can't be that strapped for cash. Should have put it on contents insurance.

My life wouldn't fall apart at all either tbh. Not my job though.

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
Revels, may I ask what you have insured (cost not kit) and are you semi-pro (as in you make some kind of money from it, however small)?

It might be cheap but I am wondering if it covers everything mine does?

Oil Burner
Looks fairly good, on the amateur cover the Car cover stops at 9pm and only covers forced entry and if the kit is in a locked compartment (boot etc..)

I pay about £25 a month with my PLI on about 6.5k. But honestly have no idea if the same exclusions apply to my policy.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I was paying camera insurance for a couple of years, but it was so expensive I don't now, to get the right cover it's not at all cheap.

Silly things, like you need to have it in a proper camera bag or its not covered etc. you do have to watch the conditions.

I only did it because I had a week old camera and lens's worth about 3.5k and was going to Peru.

Last time I Was pissed with my camera I got out of a limo in Vegas at the Wynn and smashed the lens against the kerb, that was the last time I mixed drink and cameras!

Revels, may I ask what you have insured (cost not kit) and are you semi-pro (as in you make some kind of money from it, however small)?

It might be cheap but I am wondering if it covers everything mine does?

It's lapsed now but I had body and a few lenses. So over a grands worth.

They don't cover you if you make money from it I don't think.

Im not sure as he technically doesnt have a home not living with his mum but i suppose he could ask if his mum could claim, youll probably find they come back with something stupid like its not alowwed out the house after 10pm or something. Ive heard that before.

How could he possibly claim his or anyone elses house insurance when he was nowhere near the house? Apart from the fact that most things above £1k in value have to be stipulated on the policy.

I dropped my laptop in the garden and smashed the screen and the house insurance wouldn't pay out because it technically wasn't in the house.

Gutted for the lad, but at the end of the day, he should have been a lot more careful with them if he had to save so hard for them.

dk

911 GTS Cab
How could he possibly claim his or anyone elses house insurance when he was nowhere near the house? Apart from the fact that most things above £1k in value have to be stipulated on the policy.

I dropped my laptop in the garden and smashed the screen and the house insurance wouldn't pay out because it technically wasn't in the house.

Gutted for the lad, but at the end of the day, he should have been a lot more careful with them if he had to save so hard for them.

Your he insurance is crap then, mine covers up to £5000 of personal possessions while outside the house, so anywhere in the world with me, and I don't have to list individual items beforehand.