ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Camera settings

106 GTi
1/320 at an ISO to get around f8 of less (depends how sharp your less is) for head on and 3/4 shots.

IMG_3068.jpg

1/200 ideally 1/160 or less for side on pans, depends on the length of the lens and how steady your hand holding is.

IMG_0954.jpg

I struggle to go less than 1/100 Si can do 1/80 pans.

1/250 is pretty much the standard, good balance between actually getting some shots and showing movement. You can go much slower but it gets very difficult, but then the results are arguably better when it does work. I use 1/50th quite often but only get 10 good shots from 100 with that, however at 1/250th it's more like 75 out of 100 good shots.

Here are a few samples all taken from the same place, look at the advertising boards in the background for an idea of how much background blur each setting achieves.

1/50
77665770-M.jpg

1/80
65667542-M.jpg

1/100
86157867-M.jpg

1/125
65666498-M.jpg

1/250
76049108-M.jpg

1/1000
65666521-M.jpg

1/1600
64985491-M.jpg

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Thank you guys. I've just bought a nikon 70-300 lens and i'm going to sit on the dual carriage way practicing.

106 GTi
Great demo of the shutter speeds there Chris, anything above 1/400 will not show any motion.

I need to practice more and get down to some slower shutter speeds for pans. That said I dont really like pans that much for cars.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
The faster the shutter speed the better the hit ratio of sharp->blurred roughly.

Here's a 1/250

IMG_4285.jpg

(Resized for web use)

And a 1/80...

britcar1.jpg

I'd stick with something like 1/250 to be sure of not wasting your day.

:)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Thats what i have touble with at the moment. Matching my panning to the car speed.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Ok try this...

1. Take your time.
2. Don't stand too close to the fence/side of the track.
3. Try and keep the car equi-distance from you as you pan
4. Pan whilst following a particular part of car, a wing mirror, an advert etc.

And just keep practicing. If you zoom out then its easier to get the car in. The more you practice the less chopped off noses and boots you'll get until you get the whole car full frame, like the DTM pic I posted.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Remember you can always crop track out, you can't draw bits of the car/scenary afterwards. :)

106 GTi
What Si said plus, give the Auto Focus a second of so tracking the car so you pick it properly with the shutter half pressed at least befor you shoot.

Use the centre AF or one of the points only for more accurate tracking and quicker AF pick up.

Most important one I have found, follow through with the camera after the car goes by. Helps loads. Rather than just clicking and then stopping.

^^ Indeed, it's like a golf swing (I think, never actually played apart from PGA European Tour on my Mega Drive!), plenty of motion both before and after the point where you shoot is needed to get a good shot. And vertical movement is bad and automatically creates blur regardless of how smooth a pan is.

Probably not worth trying at this stage but manually focusing is more likely to get you a pin sharp image once you nail the panning technique. I always fire off a few shots at 1/1000 to find where the ideal focus point is, once they are sharp I move down to 1/100 or whatever. As long as the cars pass in roughly the same place it's fairly easy work from then on. Saying that though my auto-focus probably isn't up to the standard of the D-SLR boys here so it may be easier to just stick with AF on the better equipment.