ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Camera bag - shoulder or rucksack?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Currently have a Lowepro Fastpack 300 for my usual kit, that I can set-up out of the way to swap lenses over quickly etc

When I'm out & about the rucksack can be a bit bulky even with basic kit onboard

I'm heading on a couple of city breaks this year (London being one of them in Feb) so thinking of a decent shoulder bag

What would you recommend to carry;
Nikon D3
Walkabout lens (usually the 24-70 & a 50mm
Maybe a flashgun
Cleaning kit & other odd bits

On another note, I do some hill-walking too and the Lowepro Fastpack on it's own is stuffed with photography gear :eek:

What do people carry their photography kit in when they run off to the hills,?......with room for food, drinks, maps, spare clothing etc

Trev

I'm currently using a nova 160 aw which is a small shoulder bag. I then put the lowepro bag into a meduim sized Nike rucksack which gives me camera gear at the bottom of the bag and space at the top for food, drinks etc. Its not the easiest for swapping lenses and also your gear is quite a bit bigger than mine especially the D3 so you would need a larger bag than mine.

I like the fact that when I've not got my camera out I'm just walking about with a Nike rucksack not a camera bag.

My lowepro bag fits my D5000 with 18-105 attached, 70-300 or 35 f1.8 plus accessories like memory cards, filters, charger etc.

I try to travel as light as possible on a city break because even my gear feels heavy after a few hours of walking.

I like my set up because its comfortable, compact and fits everything I need for a day in the city.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I hear your shout, I'd just like something more durable with easy access to the camera for hill-walking :)
The same works in reverse too, when you come up over a ridge and a storm blows in you don't want to be faffing about wrapping cameras in a fleece deep in the middle of the pack;
while at the same time have easy access to the same fleece to keep me warm instead of the camera!

Done some digging around and found these;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lowepro-R..._Camera_Cases_Bags_Covers&hash=item4ac063a774

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clik-Elit..._Camera_Cases_Bags_Covers&hash=item51a308afc1

Anyone used them or know of any reviews?

derv biege barge
I always use my lowenpro rucksack. Used to have a shoulder bag but prefer the rucksack anyday.

I bought a lowepro slingshot thinking it would be the only bag I'd need but a couple of trips to London pulling the camera in and out of it and I decided it probably wan't best for all situations. I've just bought a lowepro pro messenger which is a lot better for those kind of shoots IMO.

That's the exact retrospective I have

I like it because in black it doesn't look like a camera bag at all which I feel happier about when walking around London etc..
It also has this nice velcro system where you can fold them onto each other so they don't stick - and you can open the bag without making the velcro ripping noise every time which is nice for street shooting.

"Navy" N17 TWO
On further digging I think the Crumpler in that link is fake - different from the Crumpler site and no mention of the optional tripod straps :(

"Navy" N17 TWO
That's the exact retrospective I have

I like it because in black it doesn't look like a camera bag at all which I feel happier about when walking around London etc..
It also has this nice velcro system where you can fold them onto each other so they don't stick - and you can open the bag without making the velcro ripping noise every time which is nice for street shooting.

Can you carry a lightweight tripod with it, does it have that option? :)

Clio Sport 172.
A Nikon D3 in a Canon bag...the photographic attempt of a sleeper maybe? ;)

I didn't suggest you get a Canon bag, but a combination of shoulder and rucksack. It doesn't necessarily have to have Canon or Nikon stamped all over it. Having used both a Canon and a Nikon there really isn't a lot of difference to be honest. Just personal preference and user ability.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Lol!
If the ThinkTank is able to carry my light tripod as well somehow, I'm going to go for one, and worry about a rucksack some other time :)