ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelts....is it just a rumour

2005 Impreza WRX STI

in a cam belt book it says 172 every 72k.......ppl on here say 5 yrs

BUT....................isnt that only in extreme conditions?ie v hot country or really dusty/sandy??????????????????????the book says so!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

gettin mine done @ 45 on a 52 plate, you can never be too sure......

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Haynes manual for valver states 72k or 5 years, whichever is soonest. Whether that info originally comes from Renault, and if newer Renault are the same I dont know.

Best be safe though as think someone on here did there 172 in with that many miles on the clock. Was a post if you search.

2005 Impreza WRX STI

hmmmm, a local garage had a dunlop i think cambelt manual and it says only 5 years in extreme weather conditions

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

You can risk at and spend over a grand to replace the damage or get it done when you think it needs it and pay...... £137 for valver (not sure what on a 172) but for cheapest go to renault speciaists and not renault.

Quote: Originally posted by DarrenRN on 22 August 2005

Any idea how much it costs, Ive got a Clio with no history so I think Id better be safe than sorry.
Shouldnt be to much the 172s are expensive though.

Id think £70~100.

Clio 182

i had a cambelt snap on my very first car yes it was a clio but an older shape one and that went at 73k bent all the valves and was left with a nice little repair bill luckily it was only an 8v engine so only 8 valves to buy :). All my cam belts are done well before due now.

Going to get mine done with my next wage cheque, The cars a 1991 J reg and the engines done 72k Ive no idea whats happened to the car in the past so best be on the safe side.

Camel

Changed mine at 57k she was 4years old did it because i gave the car a major service

[Edited by dubster on 22 August 2005 at 9:04pm]

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

Did mine at 4.5 years with the 36k service.

ClarkieV6 did the service and belt change for me including the full Renault cam kit (thats £120 from the off!) all for £500, which is a very good price. Renault charge about that just for the belt, their 36k service is £300 on top!

And yes it is every 72k or 5 years, whichever is sooner.

I got mine done at 32k and the car is 4 years old, better be safe than sorry. Very expensive if it snaps :eek:

For the sake of £300-£400 its well worth it

clio 182 black /gold

Yes i have known people with vaxhalls and theres have snapped just a few miles over the recomended mileage. So i would say get it done.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

im going to change mine at 60k. Never had a 172 belt snap at mileages like 36k where it was just the cambelts fault. The main thing is the aux belt shredding and going into the cambelt. A lot of people dont realise this has a interval change of 36k

Mine was the bearing, as you have the engine halfway out you might as well do the belt while your at it.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

just unlucky there mate as the tensioners/idlers havent given much problems. always best to change them with the belt though as you say

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

my thoughts are if you drive hard then its just good sense to change things early....

track use and HARD road use play hell on engines and components... always worth being ahead with belts etc.

Andy
GDI