ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cambelt question

Renault Clio 1.8 RSi

my cambelt was last changed at 72k miles as it says in the handbook. my car is now on 119k, am i right in thinking that it wont need to be done again until 144k miles (if the car lasts that long)??

also, ive noticed that when changing gear, if you give it some revs before the clutch comes up completely, when the clutch bites i hear a little squeerk, (im guessing coming from the cambelt). why would it do this? is this a sign that its on its way out?

cheers for any and all advice.

according to manufactures hand book and other sources 72000 or 5 years which ever comes first if any doubt do it mine cost. 252 including vat and other bits from bb

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

yeh, its probably the cambelt. wen the clutch bites hard (wen uve got some power on the flywheel) it either slips a tiny bit or the cambelt slips. if ure gettin a squeak then it sounds like the cambelt. becoz most of the other parts are metal, ie- dont slip, the clutch and cambelt take all the punishment from harsh driving, but are usually the easiest parts to fix wen they go rong!hope thats of some help rich_g85?

-phil-

Renault Clio 1.8 RSi

cheers phil! do you know if it does any damage when it slips?

Dean - do i have an aux belt in a Mk1 RT?

Illusion - Is the fan belt not the cam belt?

Quote: Originally posted by rich_g85 on 12 April 2004

AFAIK mate, the fan belt is just another word for the aux belt.

Renault Clio 1.8 RSi

Quote: Originally posted by Illusion on 12 April 2004

Quote: Originally posted by rich_g85 on 12 April 2004

AFAIK mate, the fan belt is just another word for the aux belt.
oh ok.....but then do I have an aux belt? - what exactly does it do?

cheers :D

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

yes, it does some damage. coz wen it slips, and u smell that aspestos burning smell (99.9% its the clutch) thats becoz the material is burning away. not sure wat the cambelt will smell like, but its made of rubber too, so yes it does wear out.

if the car squeaks as u pull away, or are turning on full lock in a car park, then its bound to be the fanbelt slipping- thats not so much a problem tho, just one of those things on older cars.

-phil-

The fan belt drives all the other stuff like the alternator, powersteering pump (if u have one) also Air conditioning if im not mistaken?

But I doubt u got that anyways.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

cambelt every 70,000 miles or 5 years(you can do it earlier for peace of mind if you want)

your noise as the clutch bites is probably the clutch being worn and its the noise of the lining rivets catching on the flywheel.

Renault Clio 1.8 RSi

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 12 April 2004

cambelt every 70,000 miles or 5 years(you can do it earlier for peace of mind if you want)

your noise as the clutch bites is probably the clutch being worn and its the noise of the lining rivets catching on the flywheel.
guessing thats bad for the clutch.

would these symptoms point to a knackered clutch?

- juddering as it bites

- if you bring the clutch up in 2nd while slowing down, you hear a bang and the whole front end of the car goes CLONK as the clutch bites

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

clutch judder would also mean the clutch is getting worn as well.

the clunk is possibly more like an engine mount etc.

i would also check the front pipe>manifold joint as they often squeak as the engine moves.