ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam Rattle help please

2003 Clio sport 172
over the last few weeks my engine has got more n more rattly, we have listened closely and the noise seems to be coming from the top of the engine.

When i rev it over 2k the noise stops.

first thing that i did was check the oil and there is enough in there, there is no smoke out the back, like i say once i rev over 2k it seems really smooth.

Any ideas to what this could be?

Mk5 golf gti
its the dephaser pulley mate

tractor on idle and goes once revved

its about 170 for the part, plus new cambelt kit

so around 500 all in, unless you do it yourself

2003 Clio sport 172
would you 100% say its this? i want to get it done as soon as possible but i have lost my job, would i still be able to use the car with this gone?

Sorry about the noob queistions but im new to the clio sport lol.

Mk5 golf gti
yes you can carry on using the car it wont break up they only get noisy due to lack of oil changes IMO

it sounds like that to me, very common prolem, when you start it from cold is the noise not there till it warms up then it becomes quite load like a diesel on idle?

and its alright i had the same problem when i got my first one until i signed up on here and only then id heard of the dephaser

2003 Clio sport 172
i have looked on you tube at clios with the dephaser pulley screwed n not 1 of them sound like mine. all of them have loud nocking noises but mine isnt like that.

Mine just rattles on idle and the rattle noise comes from all across the top of the engine, sounds like screwed tappets even tho it aint. my brother said its like there is no oil getting to the top of the engine.

As i said im a noob with this and i will get a vid so you know what im on about lol.

Could it be an oil pump problem?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Bring it on over and we'll check out the dephaser pulley and oil pressure for you.

Mick

2003 Clio sport 172
your a bit far for me to get to though, thats 1 of the problems im having, im out of work and cant do much.

2003 Clio sport 172
my brother said about the oil pump because when we took the oil filler cap off while it was running it didnt throw any oil out at all n there was no pressure there, again not owning a sport before we dont know if this is normal or not

53 Clio's & counting
It wont be oil pump mate, the dephaser cuts in at 1650rpm so if it goes emmediately quiet over that rpm id say it is most likely dephaser.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
They don't tend to "Throw" much oil but if you genuinely suspect an oil pressure problem you proberbly shouldn't be driving the car until its been proven safe though normally the oil pressure low lamp would be on if you had an issue.

Mick

421 Cammed 172
If you have chance mate I'm only in Oldbury so I can have a listen for you.

If you need it done get it over to Fred @ BTM in Stetchford.

Its drivable but it will get you around, probably wont be healthy for the engine but given your situation id just try to cut down unnecessary journeys if you can.

My car has been driven 7k miles with a fucked dephaser, just sounds fucked on idle and car has no real poke in it though I'm getting mine done next month

2003 Clio sport 172
Over the last few months my car has got very lumpy on startup when coldm its got to the point now where it jerks you around untill its warmed up, the noise started when the car started running lumpy and has gradually got worse.

its not as pokey either now when it has warmed up.

the weekend i topped the oil up to the maximum and the rattle on the top of the engine dissapeared for a min n then started again but i didnt have to put as much revs on to get the noise to go.
using it over the weekend i am now having to put more n more revs on to get the rattle to go, i still dont have to go over 2k to get it to go but its getting close to it now.

the rattle noise comes from all across the top of the engine not just from the pully.

Hope that makes sense, im supposed to be taking it to a local garage who said they would look at it but aint had the time today. its just a bit confusing, i understand what people are saying about the pully but surely the rattle wouldnt be all across the top of the engine and why would it completely stop when the oil is topped up to maximum and then start a few mins later, which is what makes my brother think it could be a problem with the pump not pumping the oil to the top of the engine propperly.

sorry if i seem a bit thick lol. just finding it hard with no job to find out what the problem is as i dont have the money for a garage to find out what the problem is.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Its very hard to pinpoint a rattle in the bay as there are a lot of noises all occuring at once but the dephaser does have a habit of sounding like its the entire top front of the engine as the cam is rattling about rather than being secure. 15minute job to confirm it as the dephaser - remove end caps and check the cam for signs of free-play.
  • Non = Dephaser okay
  • Movement = F&cked dephaser

2003 Clio sport 172
Its very hard to pinpoint a rattle in the bay as there are a lot of noises all occuring at once but the dephaser does have a habit of sounding like its the entire top front of the engine as the cam is rattling about rather than being secure. 15minute job to confirm it as the dephaser - remove end caps and check the cam for signs of free-play.
  • Non = Dephaser okay
  • Movement = F&cked dephaser

That makes a lot of sense, thanks. the more i read about it the more im thinking its the dephaser, i need to get it looked at to confirm it.

Thanks guys for your help, as soon as i have managed to get it looked at i will let you all know lol