ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam cover to oil seperator gasket 73 quid FFS!

The 'Manual' makes no mention of the gasket and advices the use of silicone.

I tend to just use silicone, if applied as per the manual I've never had one leak.

Cheers
M

LY 182
i've taken a few apart and its like every other one you see one has a gasket next dosn't silicone is fine

ClioSport 172 Cup
Whats the best brand of silicone to get, just liquid gasket stuff ??
I want to remove the oil seperator cover as i`m getting a slow leak that appears to be coming over the gasket at the back of the engine and I wanted to check it out. Are the cams attached to the oil seperator cover? Or can I safely unbolt it without messing the cams up?

RS RIP
My cams were changed for uprated ones , i think they did;nt change this part for a new one because now i'm using/loosing tad bits of oil and have to fill it up once every so...

not disturbing though. Will this become somethng major ?

ClioSport 172 Cup
Is Threebond 1215 a silicone suitable for my oil seperator and to seal my cam cover bolts?? Its a Gray paste. I bought it from Suzuki and used it to re-seal the Oil sump on my last car.

ClioSport 172 Cup
Still havent had a previous question answered. If you unbolt the oil seperator cover does it interfere with the cams?

ClioSport 172 Cup
Do you have to clean the mating surfaces with anything before you apply the silicone gasket..like some WD40?, also should i put the silicone gasket on then spread it out into a thin layer before i tighten the cover?

BMW M135i
Do you have to clean the mating surfaces with anything before you apply the silicone gasket..like some WD40?, also should i put the silicone gasket on then spread it out into a thin layer before i tighten the cover?
Yes they want to be clean. Run a bead round the edges to seal and let the seperator cover squish it out.

I used some gasket remover spray stuff off ebay. But that was mainly for the cam cover. The mating surfaces are very soft...

ClioSport 172 Cup
Bloody ell how complex are the oil seperator channels. took it off tonight to check it out, gonna try and sort it out tomorrow though as it was getting too dark. Also sheared two of the bloody bolts off, although there is plenty of the bolt shaft showing, they were so soft, the heads just snapped off like they were butter!! Is that because they are only designed to take so much torque, i`m gonna replace them all with stainless ones tomorrow hopefully. :S

I sheared one putting them back on even though I used the correct torque setting. I guess they are soft to prevent you damaging the cam cover. Renault had to source the bolt from France only picked it up today. Not leaking even with only 7 bolts holding it on.

I didn't bother with any silicon on the channels, just around the outside. Can't remember why I made that decision but there was a reason...

Golf GTD Mk7
Is this at one of the top two covers? I'm going to be taking them off soon, so am I going to experience complications?

ClioSport 172 Cup
They are just M6X25 bolts. I bought a bunch of stainless ones today from masseys with washers.
Incidentally what is the correct torque for these bolts, is it about 13nm same as the plenum bolts?