ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam Belt problem

R5 GTT
Well had a recent problem with my R5 engined 172 which turned out to be timing related so i got a new cam kit and hired the tools to do the job. Now I started the car for the 1st time tonight and let it idle for 30 mins when all of a sudden a strange noise and I discovered that the cam belt had eaten one of the pulleys:eek:

Here's a pic of the mangled pulley
IMG_5036.gif

It's a little strange as the belt tightness is controlld by the tensioner pully which all markings are aligned as supposed.

New Pulley according to my Dialogys - 77 00 108 626 PULLEY LA 42.76

Any advice?

ITB'd MK1
all i can think is maybe the idlers were fitted with the spacers wrong?? the lower idler is meant to have a thicker spacer than the upper one. that pulley looks like the belt wasn't central. does it spin ok?

R5 GTT
all i can think is maybe the idlers were fitted with the spacers wrong?? the lower idler is meant to have a thicker spacer than the upper one. that pulley looks like the belt wasn't central. does it spin ok?

When you say spin is it supposed to spin when the cam belt is all tightend up??

I am thinking I have used the incorrect spacer and bolt these are the only parts I also didn't replace with new:(

M

mini-valver

Looks like the pulley has stayed stationary when the engine is running and the belt has just melted it.....

ITB'd MK1
I was just about too say that... Looks like the pulley was stuck and just melted?

What are the actual differences between the kits though?

one of the ph1 pulleys has a smaller hole and the spacer sits behind rather than being interted. if you used a ph1 spacer on a ph2 pulley it wouldn't center and probably lock up solid...

340i
ahh...

I can remember when getting my cambelt kit the guy mumbled something about different pulleys blah blah blah!

R5 GTT
I am runnung a phase 2 engine but converted to run phase 1 cable throttle body, etc..

The pulleys I replaced them with where exactly the same I wish I had kept the old ones now I just chucked them away :(

Lionel Richie
get some pics up of the cambelt area of the engine

which idler is it also? the one below the tensioner or the one just across from it?

'92 172, Lotus Elise
it should roll freely!

didn't know there was a difference in cambelt kits... dodgy!!

R5 GTT
The cam belt I am using is a 77 00 113 559 TIMING BELT but my dialogys also list a belt under ref 82 00 098 343 BELT which is also a cambelt.

There are no different options for the pulley I need

& more pulley is stamped 77 00 108 626 which is the same as my dialogys.

OK looks like i need to try a load of pulleys then

Lionel Richie
they're the same apart from the 1 pulley, from memory the phs2 cambelt kit idler pulley doesn't fit the phs1 spacer, its been a while since i've done a phs1 172

Lionel Richie
pulley 8200483288
spacer 8200607654
bolt 8200648631

thats all for a ph1 172 idler pulley (the one oppoiste the tensioner pulley)

phs1 cambelt kit complete 7701476674

for a phs2

pulley 8200483288
spacer 8200607654
bolt 8200648631

cambelt kit complete phs2 7701476675

so cambelt kits have different part numbers, but the parts individually are listed as the same, renault, gotta love them

Lionel Richie
edit just checked the lower idler wheel also, this is the one that's different

phs1

pulley 7700107150
spacer (2 options listed)

phs2

pulley 8200064664
spacer - no spacer listed