ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam belt died. Remedial choice to be made.

1Berg2
Evening all.

As per title and my post in the 'Things I don't like' thread, my cam belt died yesterday at 70mph.

It used to be a 42k 172, both belts having been replaced two years ago on 32k at RenoTec in Chelmsford, Essex.

Car's been recovered to the 'ol dear's house, and I have tracked down a replacement which is on 32k, with full S/H, new belts and dephaser and the like.

Here's the choice to be made - I don't know whether or not to go with my gut feeling that old engine will be rendered scrap and replace with the above, or strip it down and see whether or not the valves have caused havoc with the pistons, and if they haven't get said head re-built with new valves etc.

Difference of the two would be around £300 in cost.

Any opinions/suggestions appreciated.

TIA!

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
new engine, then salvage whats left from the old one and ebay it.

I had a camshaft let go and that caused just over 2k in damages, 43k lump, box, hoses, ancillaries and wiring from rear ended 182, £600
managed to sell everything i had spare / salvageable and all in, including fitting and new belts (just to be safe) only cost me £350

1Berg2
new engine, then salvage whats left from the old one and ebay it.

I had a camshaft let go and that caused just over 2k in damages, 43k lump, box, hoses, ancillaries and wiring from rear ended 182, £600
managed to sell everything i had spare / salvageable and all in, including fitting and new belts (just to be safe) only cost me £350

This was also a consideration I'd had, good thinking!

1Berg2
Fred - I've no idea to be honest. Dropped the car off as I had to be somewhere. I don't think it is. I say think, I mean hope.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Yea, with the help of a friend who owned his own independant garage at the time, drove from kent to newcastle to pick the replacement up, loaded it and turned round for the drive back, 10hour round trip that day, only stopped for fuel

Inferno 182
I've got the same dilemma... However I've decided I'm going to fit a new engine so feel free to pm me if you find any good ones you aren't going to buy ;)

2001 Clio 172
I don't have direct clio sport cambelt failure experience but on both recent Twingo and Megane petrol timing failures i have opened the engine to find carnage, serious interference. Pictures later!!
I would be happy to strap in a low mileage full engine replacement if I was you, like others have said sell the parts from your knackered lump to recoup costs.
On the other hand I did a clio 1.5 diesel recently that hadnt been timed correctly due to the keyless crank pulley. Only bent a few valves but that was only just turned over.