ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cable throttle body conversion

53' 172 Cup
having been down the GDI i spoke to Mark about tuning the F4R to get a little more power.... getting rid of the flybywire throttle body was one of the better options according to him. If i was to go back to cable would it be possible to use a ph1 ECU or would an OMEX/MOTEC standalone be required? anyone done this btw? would like to hear ppls opinions!

You want more power and GDI have suggested you get a cable throttle fitted. How does this gain power?

Hillpower do the Renault conversion. I was quoted 1.5k but that was just for the parts I think.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
you can buy the R-sport kit for not too much

thats the ecu converter
cable boddie
pedal
cable
sensors etc

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
agree with mark fitting a bigger boddie on a stock engine wont give much power if anything!

imo just leave it LOL

as mark said the kit is about 1.5k

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Matty W had a cable throttle conversion no his... I think it was done by Hillpower. I know that R-sports sell a kit as well....

Oops beaten to it... about 1500 odd quid I think it was for a r-sports kit

Last edited:
agree with mark fitting a bigger boddie on a stock engine wont give much power if anything!

imo just leave it LOL

I think the Renault kit is quite expensive unless Hillpower gave me the fitted figure.

In my experience, having had this kit (cable and OMEX) fitted for the last couple of years, only fit standalone if you are installing ITBs which give you a worthwhile power increase to outweigh the pain of the standalone ECU.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
^^ that would be money well spent IMO

BenR has some good deals on cam packages atm too!

53' 172 Cup
You want more power and GDI have suggested you get a cable throttle fitted. How does this gain power?

Hillpower do the Renault conversion. I was quoted 1.5k but that was just for the parts I think.

the drivability of the car is completely transformed rather than huge power gains.,he told me that a cable TB with standalone trounced a normal electric TB ph2. throttle response also improves a hell ofalot. yeh the cams as well would def be better

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
IMO you wouldnt notice the differnce between the R-sport kit and the jenvey and omex kit

the r-sport is cheaper too

megan R26.R number 006
wot is the R-Sport kit?????

r sport is the company that Renault sport use in the UK for there race seres like the Clio cup and formula Renault they know there stuff the i think that the kit would be the same as the Clio cups so a single larger bore throttle body and a all the fixtures and fittings + a ecu but i am only speculating on the kit

ValverInBits

imo just leave it LOL

I think the Renault kit is quite expensive unless Hillpower gave me the fitted figure.

In my experience, having had this kit (cable and OMEX) fitted for the last couple of years, only fit standalone if you are installing ITBs which give you a worthwhile power increase to outweigh the pain of the standalone ECU.

Totally agree. FBW can be superior to cable in certain circumstances. Leave it unless your going to ITBs

Can Omex run a FBW?? does anyone know? Not that you ever would with a NA clio as you'd probably only need the management for ITBs

M

mini-valver

Unless, as people have said, You're fitting ITB's or having wacky cams I would'nt bother with standalone. You can get 200-210bhp using standard management with cams, inlets, decent exhaust, possibly headwork and a proper map. Anymore than that and you'll need a set of bodies or silly cams which both mean standalone, and solid lifters for the cams.....

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Is it worth getting this done, im already running an omex ecu and have been recommended to get this conversion but seemed a little bit expensive?

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Couldnt find any answers and u always get yelled at for starting new threads on this forum :S

172 Race Car
Didnt think the omex could run DBW throttle any way so you must be running a cable throttle body already?

DMS

A thirsty 172
Is it worth getting this done, im already running an omex ecu and have been recommended to get this conversion but seemed a little bit expensive?

I have an Omex ECU and the Ph1 throttle conversion. I also still have the standard ECU because it's controlling some other functions of the car - not sure what.
Anyway, my advice is don't do it. The cable operated throttle is the only thing that lets my car down. It's very jerky and has a tendency to stick quite a lot, which means a 2,000rpm idle sometimes, worse fuel economy and a heavier throttle pedal.

I'm not trying to sound like a fan boy, but K-Tec's Gen90 ECU can run the FBW throttle and can do everything the Omex does plus more. It'll also make your dash work properly (well, eventually...).

Personally, I'm going to ditch the Ph1 throttle arrangement and go over to this setup instead. No amount of trying to fix the sticky throttle issue has made any difference and I doubt the throttle response would be any worse than it already is. It shouldn't cost too much either, since my loom hasn't been modified in any way, and looking at the price of the Gen90 compared to how much Omex 600's are going for on eBay, I wouldn't be more than a couple of hundred quid worse off.

I have an Omex ECU and the Ph1 throttle conversion. I also still have the standard ECU because it's controlling some other functions of the car - not sure what.
Anyway, my advice is don't do it. The cable operated throttle is the only thing that lets my car down. It's very jerky and has a tendency to stick quite a lot, which means a 2,000rpm idle sometimes, worse fuel economy and a heavier throttle pedal.

I'm not trying to sound like a fan boy, but K-Tec's Gen90 ECU can run the FBW throttle and can do everything the Omex does plus more. It'll also make your dash work properly (well, eventually...).

Personally, I'm going to ditch the Ph1 throttle arrangement and go over to this setup instead. No amount of trying to fix the sticky throttle issue has made any difference and I doubt the throttle response would be any worse than it already is. It shouldn't cost too much either, since my loom hasn't been modified in any way, and looking at the price of the Gen90 compared to how much Omex 600's are going for on eBay, I wouldn't be more than a couple of hundred quid worse off.

^then why not just use a stock mapped ecu?

Was going to say the same...

Also, is the GEN90 even type approved for FBW on road applications? Because from the original thread where it was announced and someone asked, it seems the quesion was skipped past and not answered...

The 2000rpm is just the throttle body stopping 1mm short of the fully closed position = the spring is f*cked on the spindle. It will make the pedal heavier too, as mines the same. Putting another second hand throttle body on is pointless too as it may be the same, only option is a new one to cure it fully - or rig it up like I have, and now works flawlessly.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Would the stock ECU be mappable to that extent? I still have the stock ECU in there so if it is possible to ditch the Omex I'd consider doing so.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Was going to say the same...

Also, is the GEN90 even type approved for FBW on road applications? Because from the original thread where it was announced and someone asked, it seems the quesion was skipped past and not answered...

The 2000rpm is just the throttle body stopping 1mm short of the fully closed position = the spring is f*cked on the spindle. It will make the pedal heavier too, as mines the same. Putting another second hand throttle body on is pointless too as it may be the same, only option is a new one to cure it fully - or rig it up like I have, and now works flawlessly.

Any pics of how you've rigged it up? What parts are needed, etc?

Lionel Richie
i believe paul @ RS tuning is still on the stock ecu and is over 300bhp with his supercharged 172

ecu is only as good as the person mapping it, paul is quite good LOL