ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bye 172!

Didn't post here in quite a long time... Just sold the Clio172 to a friend and made the "transfer" to a 06 WRX. The Clio felt way more sporty, with firmer ride, way more precise steering. The 06 WRX has more tuning potential. I look forward to an "on road comparison" between the 2 :) I already miss the Clio, which is sitting in the parking and grinning at me. A GREAT car and without a doubt the greatest quantity of "fun per pound" I had the chance to came across :)

-Ex-VaVaVoum

Hello there my old south Walian chum,

Speaking as someone who once owned a Ph2 172 (Daipac's Monaco Blue one) I'd recommend them for hassle-free motoring. Mine was lowered on Eibachs and looked quite subtle, though clearly better than standard. Excellent comfort despite the springs - it also had an IK (reasonable sound, but nothing on my 16V or Willy with IKs though) and a Cup splitter.

Remember I drove your 1.4 at a meet a year or two ago? My parents bought a 1.2 Dynamique as their second car shortly after and I drive it every few months. The interior (with the option packs) is pretty similar to the 172 / 182 - though obviously the poke is a lot better. I'd heed the comments about a Ph1 172 though.

Tread carefully Squire - planning ahead by 9 months is almost always a fallacy!

Clio 172 mk2
Enjoy the WRX

I have come from a WRX....great car but very bland in the steering department compared to the Clio.

Watch out for understeer too in the WRX .....make sure you get the droplinks done and anti-lift kit fitted:D

Echo what Neil G said - a trip to Powerstation is a must. This comes with a warning though, its bad for your wallet (AST coilovers, strut braces, roll bars, blah blah blah). I have a lot of Powestation mods on my 99 classic scooby which I only really use on track, its very quick though.

Hey everyone! :)

So well, a couple of things happened in the last 3.something years:

1. I sold the WRX after 2 years
2. Bought an Evo 9
3. Tuned the Evo 9, bla bla...
4. Most important of all, I just got an 172 MK2, 40K miles, like 1 day ago :) The Evo stays too... for more extreme stuff so to say. I absolutely love the Clio and in a lot of ways, it's more fun than the Evo, with less than half the power, in fact :)

So well, I'm back to the 1st love :) And glad to find you all well :)

-VaVaVoooum

Well, there are several things:

- the Evo is not super tuned, but about 400bhp. So it gets stupid really fast in day to day driving. There's no such thing as having the motor scream at 7000 rpm in the Evo... without having to brake in the next 2 seconds, so to say

- aspirated engines are so cool, really. I still have the standard turbo on the Evo, so no bigger turbo and still the turbo lag really gets away some of the fun. Of course, there's the up side, the turbo kick, but still...

- the Evo is super sharp, the steering is nothing short of wonrdeful... and yet, the Clio is something which the Evo is not: playful. The Evo is a lot more serious, more focused... there's no "bliping the accelerator" for 0.5 seconds, for a small rush of power in the Evo... while you can play a lot more with the VaVaVoom in the Clio

- finally, the Clio is a sheep in wolf's clothes, while the Evo is simply a wolf, so to say :)

Please note I don't take into consideration the track, but the day to day fun on some roads, some with traffic, some without etc.

-Sheperd