ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying an iPad 2

Clio V6
Got a white 16gb Wi-Fi last week and am very happy with it (apart from the fact that it randomly doesn't work in one room). I totally advise getting the keyboard dock as it adds a whole other level to it in terms of user friendliness.

vauxhall corsa vxr
I got the iPad 2 32gb wifi and have the same problem ^ works in the living room go to the bedroom and the wifi gets off, loving contract killer on it at the min

Rav4
I am off to America on Monday. Is it worth picking it up there? It's around £470 in the USA for a 32gb 3G Wifi version and in the UK it's £579.

Good stuff

182 Turbo Project
I am off to America on Monday. Is it worth picking it up there? It's around £470 in the USA for a 32gb 3G Wifi version and in the UK it's £579.

Good stuff

Think you just answered your own question lol.

The only difference will be the charger yeah?

If so, get it bought!

Rav4
Locked to networks would be my only worry?

I hope not !

I would buy it from an apple store or similar, the savings are quite large. The only issue is, people freaking me out about TAX.

Id be bringing it back myself, but have a read on this forum;

When anything is sent from the USA to the UK (or vice versa) it has to have a Customs Declaration on the outside that states the contents and their value. The Customs have the right to open a package in order to inspect it so as to be sure the declaration is correct. It doesn't matter whether it is by FedEx or any other carrier.

If someone visiting the UK were to bring an iPad in to the country they would have to exit International Arrivals by the Red Channel (something to declare) where they would have to pay the VAT and Import Duty.

If they tried to come in through the Green Channel (nothing to declare) that would be illegal. Customs officers have the right, and often do, search a passenger's baggage for undeclared items. It is an offence - subject to imprisonment - to try to bring undeclared items through the Green Channel - it's smuggling.

Passengers are allowed to bring in a small 'personal allowance' of goods duty free - for gifts I think the allowance is £250. Multiple passengers are not allowed to combine their allowances - so two passengers could not combine their allowances to £500 to bring back an iPad.

It really is considered a very serious offence to try to bring goods back into the country and avoid paying VAT and duty - the 'Oh dear, I forgot about that iPad' excuse is not accepted.

I know some people who try to unpack their goods to try to make them appear as though they were bought in the UK and were simply being used overseas and are now being brought back. Customs officers are very adept at spotting this so don't be tempted.

Bottom line - you need to pay Import Duty and VAT if you're bringing goods into the UK from overseas in excess of the Duty Free allowance.

Quote from >>> http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/22280-getting-ipad2-usa-sent-uk.html

Surely you just bring it back in your hand luggage as something you've bought? No one checks to see if my iPhone or iPad were bought in Germany when I travel abroad... they presume I have bought them and brought them on a journey from start to finish...

-
I bought my macbook out in the states last year and brought it back in my hand luggage. Not an issue at all. I binned the box but obviously kept the receipt.

Precisely. I still have the box and before I had a case, took it everywhere in its box... sad, but it kept it protected. The receipt was probably somewhere in the box as well, but Zee Germans had no issues.

Think you'll be fine and more importantly, quids in :)

2.2 bar shed.
Run apps that Apple says no no no to. E.g. use tethering without paying for it is the thing that led to me doing mine. Pay 35 quid a month for a phone with unlimited internet, then have to pay extra to use that internet on my laptop. No thanks Mr O2.

That's handy to know as I'm going England in December so I could just buy that for £15 and use it for the 10 days.

Cheers.

Rav4
In South Carolina at the moment, so will be looking to pick up a 32gb 3G in black. Let's see how much it is overall, and what saving is had. :)

Rav4
Went to to pick one up yesterday and the apple lady at best buy informed me that the iPads would be locked to Verizon or at&t and would not work in the Uk unless they are unlocked. Is this the case?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
going down to my local apple store tomorrow to have a look at these. i'm looking at the 16bg or 32gb wifi model. Still debating which size to go for. It'll be for a xmas present for myself

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Got one now in White 32GB WiFi, i'm over the moon with it. Had a problem with the account/mail button after the IOS5 install. pressed it and it went to main screen so had to do a re set on iTunes and it's fine now.

One thing is how do you sync gmail contacts to the iPad?