ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying an American laptop

I have a little question for any of you boys that know a bit about computers.

I am currently in the middle east, and will be for the next few months, and I need a laptop for Skype and dvds etc.

Now I would normally just buy something from Amazon or a similar place and have it sent out, however, there seems to be an issue as to whether the countries customs will let it in. So, I have been down to the American's shoppoing area, and they have a decent laptop at a decent price.

My question is, will I have any issues buying an American laptop? I know I will have to buy a new power lead when I get back to England. I also know that the keyboard setup is ever so slightly different. But is there anything else that I should be aware of?

Can the region of the dvd player be changed? Will I have any issues buying software back in England, such as Microsoft Office?

Any help or info in the matter would be great, cheers.

Golf GTI
The dvd drive might be region locked but that shouldn't be hard to get around. Everything else will not be a normal :approve:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Been a while since i had a new windows computer, but you always used to be able to change the region a set amount of times so you should be able to switch it to region 2.

Nothing else should be a problem afaik

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
My dad bought a new laptop a few years back whilst we were in the States, and he had no software issues that I can remember. He may have had to change the region setting of his DVD player, but he could use it when we got home, so I'm assuming he got round that fairly easily.

you will have no problem what so ever.
when you put in a region 2(europe dvd) it will ask you to change the drive over,click yes.....done,

i'd say its very rare that software is region locked,infact i never even heard of it till now:)

with the power you should be alright.
most laptops have a "power block" and that take 50-240 volts so all you would have to do is buy a new connection from the power block to the wall.