ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

buying a 197 cup tommorow Maybe!!

Ford Fiesta Mk6 Zetec S
someone pease convince me to buy it. i want it soo much but just a lot of money. :dead:

tell me some good expirences people have had with there 197's please :evil:

Megane R26,Clio 197
someone pease convince me to buy it. i want it soo much but just a lot of money. :dead:

tell me some good expirences people have had with there 197's please :evil:

What's the price?
Better handling,recaro,red calipers etc
IMHO worth that extra money ;)

182 FF
me and the wife went car shopping this week, after both having 172's.

on a word the new ones are 'disappointing' to say the least, especially the new cup models, just plastic s**te inside and out.

went to honda, got offered an 08 civic type R, for 14k, with 6000 miles on it. built as a sports car should be.

looked at the corsa vrx, they are just too expensive for the money, better buyin a year old car unless the 2k scrappage scheme comes into force imo, but even that path is paved with problems

on a word the new ones are 'disappointing' to say the least, especially the new cup models, just plastic s**te inside and out.

interior is no worse than a 182

went to honda, got offered an 08 civic type R, for 14k, with 6000 miles on it. built as a sports car should be.
More money than a new 197cup could be had for and its in a different class, is more comparable to the R26 which is far superior and can be had for the same money.

looked at the corsa vrx, they are just too expensive for the money, better buyin a year old car unless the 2k scrappage scheme comes into force imo, but even that path is paved with problems

VXR looks pisch

RB 197 fatty

seriarse??? thats the first time iv heard that! i really disagree. i think the new models have come a long long way in terms of quality of build inside and out! if you get a FF like me, the interior is cracking! no mor plastic shite than the old!

182 FF
interior is no worse than a 182

More money than a new 197cup could be had for and its in a different class, is more comparable to the R26 which is far superior and can be had for the same money.

VXR looks pisch

may be so, but look at the prices, what is a 197 new?

the cup is poo, all black plastic, you think they would have made it different in an appealing way, its just PLASTIC!!!!!

197 cup new is £14,995 but could be purchased for £13,000. If you are buying the car simply for driving and not bothered about the 'luxuries' then the grand left in the bank is very appealing ;)

oh and that PLASTIC looks mint on white cups

182 FF
seriarse??? thats the first time iv heard that! i really disagree. i think the new models have come a long long way in terms of quality of build inside and out! if you get a FF like me, the interior is cracking! no mor plastic s**te than the old!

just my opinion, but i disagree, love the early sports, but they seemed to have lost the point of a cup in the 197 imo, but thats just me.

The way the market is you can fill yer boots with a new car, was offered a honda s2000 for 20K!!!!! was 29k, last of the series before they go eco green.

my point is there are better cars for the money at the moment

M135i
plastic looks better sprayed up imo, but that defeats the object on the cups. go buy one, NOW!

see, Steve has been shown 'the way' :)

they seemed to have lost the point of a cup in the 197 imo, but thats just me.

The cup is a cheaper more driver focused version of the original, thats what its always meant to be and thats what it is. Just because the weight loss isnt as big doesnt mean its lost the point.

Clio 197 Cup
may be so, but look at the prices, what is a 197 new?

the cup is poo, all black plastic, you think they would have made it different in an appealing way, its just PLASTIC!!!!!

The cup is not built for quality its built for entertainment value, the interior is stripped to reduce weight.

If you want quality by a jag gran dad.

IMO the 197 cup is the best car i have ever owned, granted its light weight internally but your paying for performance value its a beaut of a car and it looks amazing (externally).

To the author of the article i suggest you test drive one and gain your own opinion of the car, after all its your money and your investment, make sure its right for you.

Happy hunting!

182 FF
The cup is a cheaper more driver focused version of the original, thats what its always meant to be and thats what it is. Just because the weight loss isnt as big doesnt mean its lost the point.

its not the amount of weight loss, just the means by which they lost it and what is left

you miss the point. the 197 cup isnt about weight loss. the only real weight loss is removal of aircon which most people including me respec. the 197cup is about being a more driver focused car for less.

172cup
Personally, the quality of the new 197 is a cut above previous Renaultsports and I would say it is getting closer to vw refinement levels, well apart from the 'playdays' heater controls!!

The 197 is seriously good car and if you have the cash buy one. Unless your about to pay 11k and you should buy an r26 instead.

Civic is fine but not as good as an ep3 too refined and grown up for me and it doesn't drive as well as it looks. Plus the seats would do my head in as they reset themselves every time you move them.

182 FF
Personally, the quality of the new 197 is a cut above previous Renaultsports and I would say it is getting closer to vw refinement levels, well apart from the 'playdays' heater controls!!

The 197 is seriously good car and if you have the cash buy one. Unless your about to pay 11k and you should buy an r26 instead.

Civic is fine but not as good as an ep3 too refined and grown up for me and it doesn't drive as well as it looks. Plus the seats would do my head in as they reset themselves every time you move them.

more refinned.............. thats probably why i want one, gettin old now. lol

172cup
Ha ha! But if your getting old mate the seat will do your head in!! I had one for a day while my ep3 was getting new brakes, just happened to be my day to pick and drop everyone off, nightmare.

Another consideration for clio cup money is an st my pal has just bought one with 300bhp. Very fast.

I'd rather have a 197Cup than any hero-spec 182 with melted steering wheel and ice cream carton plastic interior. Do it. They are brilliant cars. Better looking, better quality, better handling, better brakes, better on track out of the box. No brainer IMO.

as i already said, weight is not the issue, just the quality of the finish

The finish inside of my 197 is better than my previous 182 and mk2 v6, end of the day you get what you pay for.

As said before the civic is to be compared to the megane rather than the Clio (in size), even thou the Clio is more of a drivers car than the civic! If you want a better quality interior plastics, buy the civic, but if you want a drivers car buy the Clio.

182 FF
Ha ha! But if your getting old mate the seat will do your head in!! I had one for a day while my ep3 was getting new brakes, just happened to be my day to pick and drop everyone off, nightmare.

Another consideration for clio cup money is an st my pal has just bought one with 300bhp. Very fast.

but st is ford, i like jap tech, and to be fair they are always well built, reasonable mpg out of the civic too, never tested the seats proper, av to check that, sayin that the wife wanted a cooper S:eek:, fookin arguments all night ova that

RS Clio 172 Ph1
Performance Car Magazine had the Cup as a long termer and loved every minute of it. Not a bad word said about it in their 6 months of having it.

Looks fantastic in White.

182 FF
The finish inside of my 197 is better than my previous 182 and mk2 v6, end of the day you get what you pay for.

As said before the civic is to be compared to the megane rather than the Clio (in size), even thou the Clio is more of a drivers car than the civic! If you want a better quality interior plastics, buy the civic, but if you want a drivers car buy the Clio.

goin off the topic a bit, was also thinkin about residual values too, renault will carry on with what they have, honda are goin all green and reducing their sports range, so the civic should hold its value better

goin off the topic a bit, was also thinkin about residual values too, renault will carry on with what they have, honda are goin all green and reducing their sports range, so the civic should hold its value better

Each to there own. Granted the honda will hold its value better as it costs more than the clio in the first place.

I've just bought a brand spanker 197 and I'm not bothered about the re-sell value as it's what I wanted, if I were bothered about the re-sell value I'd of bought a 2nd hand one, but it wouldn't of had all the options I wanted.

Family Bus
I would sell my child, dog, self for a 197 Cup in white tbh.

Just get it done lad, you won't regret it.

378bhp Leon Cupra R
  Black 197
Had my 197 a week now and its been the best car i ever had, Build quality above my 182 is ten fold, The handling is precise and sharp and it sticks to the road like sh*t to a blanket, Power delivery is fantastic and the gearbox is out of this world, Only you can decide if its the right car for you - i asked the same questions and i took the plunge... Best car decision i ever made... I'm sure you'll buy and love it tbh

Clio 182FF
Buy it, you know it makes sense :)

I have a 182 and can say that the build quality is crap compared with the 197's.