ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bux's BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Bux

Golf GTD
Picked them up on Tuesday and the Tyres came through on Thurs and Fri, so this morning I got them put on! So much nicer to drive on straight, non-buckled wheels haha!

Onto the pics! (They're only crappy iPhone ones as it's started raining and i didn't want to be outside)

9105652563_5af232b903_b.jpg

9107883024_73f86ea79e_b.jpg

9105655011_f5b94d884d_b.jpg

9107883778_9930b07067_b.jpg

E92 325D
Bux

ive really started looking at these to replace the 200 as I'm no longer excited about driving it and it just doesn't tick the boxes no more.

how did you find it to you're 197? Power/comfort/economy etc all worth while?

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
Bux

ive really started looking at these to replace the 200 as I'm no longer excited about driving it and it just doesn't tick the boxes no more.

I know this question is directed at BUX but i had one so ill just add abit of info.

Lovely car first off. Power is about 200bhp and a remap will see 260 with decent torque. As the first gear is so short this isnt really a car for traffic light gps although it will see 60 in 7 secs from memory. It really pulls from 40 onwards tho IMO at megane 250 pace if more. Overtaking is simple and delivery is very linear (2 turbos which give individual boost at low and high revs with overlap) compared with the 120d. This isnt a car to chuck into corners tho, the front will understeer if pushed and the rear will break traction so TC interferes.

As for comfort. Msport suspension is less bumpy less crashy than any cup suspension and it would be the one to go for despite what all the mags and reviews say.

If you use poor sainsbury fuel expect 42 -45, but i found using ordinary shell took it to 48mpg and saw 400miles to a tank on mixed motorway and b road driving.

They really are great cars for motorway journeys just a shame about security as id have a 135i in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
  E92 325D
Thanks for that.

The comment on the M suspension has shed some light on things. People say its awful...but in comparison to the cup suspension on the 200 I just couldn't see it being worse from BMW!

i appreciate it isn't a car to go throwing into corners...but...in all honesty, how often do we get that chance? These days the clio gets used too and from work, and trips out. No more play time these days and track days are just too expensive.

the 135i coupe is tempting too but I think if I'm ju ping ship from the 200. It has to be semi economical at least...I was swaying towards the 250 but fuel etc just seems pointless.

Bux

Golf GTD
Bux

Interior - A lot nicer than the Clios, everything feels well build and is pretty comfy to sit in. You do feel a lot lower down in the BMW compared to the clios so that automatically makes it feel a bit sportier.

Economy - I get around 42mpg at the moment but I don't do any motorway driving on my commute. I did a long motorway trip a couple weeks ago and got 56mpg which is pretty decent. I tend to get around 400 - 450 miles to a tank.

Comfort - As brisa has said, it's better than the cup suspension that you get on the clios but is still pretty harsh. It is a lot better if you switch to non-runflat tyres as you get better comfort and better grip (and a smaller bill).

Power - Power is decent, it pulls like a train from 2k revs and just keeps going. First gear, as with pretty much all diesels, is stupidly short and feels pretty useless, but once moving the gearbox is good. The only problem you can get it with the clutch. The clutch delay valve (cdv) can restrict how quickly you are able to change gear, meaning that sometimes it can be hard to make smooth gear changes when you're giving it some.

Handling - I only really had understeer in mine when I was on runflats. When I swapped to non-runflats it's been driving like it's on rails but will still kick the rear end out a little bit when it's damp out. It's never out of control either, its just a little bit of slippage as the TC kicks in.

I will admit it's not as fun to drive as the 197 as you don't have to keep it at the top of the rev range to make it go but it's still a lovely car to drive. I'd recommend having a test drive in one from BMW before making any decisions.

Leon Cupra 300
That looks so good in those wheels mate, good choice.

I'd probably add a small lip spoiler for the boot and a really light tint on the back 3 windows (like factory privacy glass, not drug dealer)

E92 325D
Thanks mate. I certainly will have a drive. I love the look of them and they seem a happy medium between the clio and a sensible car.

Really enjoyed the 250 test drive last week too....but then I love the clio when I'm giving it some....but in all honesty how often do you get the chance

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely that mate, a proper car. If I ever have to go diesel, which no disrespect I really hope I don't ever need to, I will 100% be having one of these.

Mental 172 Cup
Bux

I don't think you can make a direct comparison between these two as they are made for different purposes.. Clio is made to be screaming on the redline every gear where as the bmw is made to be a motorway cruiser.. Kinda thing.. Owning both I can fully appreciate when a loud exhaust and a 7500rpm redline isn't necessary.. But then again I do get bored now and again as the diesels are so quiet and comfy and smooth.. Even with the M-Sport suspension..

Bux

Golf GTD
Right! I feel like a little update is needed, not that a lot has changed in terms of how it looks! I've only got a few pics at the moment, but i'll post more up when the car has a clean this weekend...

Since I bought the car there has been a bit of a whining noise at the rear and I left it for ages and tried to ignore it, thinking it was probably just a bit of diff whine.

Eventually I got fed up and decided to see where it was actually coming from and I figured it was probably the rear bearings. (According to the guys on BabyBMW.net, cars with about 50k tend to have bearings go.). I decided to get the rear ones changed, just to be sure, and decided to just do it myself. So I bought myself a bearing puller kit and managed to get the right hand side done (was a b**ch to get off).

Unfortunately, getting help from my Dad meant that typically, something was bound to break. He managed to ruin the threads on 4 of the 5 of my wheel bolts and also the threads on the drive flange. That was another £70 from BMW.

Gotta love fresh lumps of machined material.

992800_10151488630365009_879370705_n_zps596af946.jpg

Anyway, got the right hand rear done in a day and then I decided to just get Audi to do the other side for me, to save me the hassle. (For those who don't know, my brother works there so I get family discount). Luckily, they were also able to provide me with a hire car whilst they worked on it, a nice new Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI :D

photo1_zps83bc410c.jpg

This is when the problems started to happen.

They tried replacing bearing on the rear left however the driveshaft wouldn't come out of the hub. It was properly seized in there, but would still spin fine. They ended up having to heat it up and whack it for ages in order to get the driveshaft out, which of course was pretty much useless afterwards, so I needed a new one of those, and a new drive flange for this side as well!

I thought I would try and save a little money and get a driveshaft from Euro Car Parts as their computers had them listed on there. Got it, gave it to Audi and typically, it didn't fit. The end which goes into the diff was the wrong size, and the length of it was too long. I took it back to ECP and told them it didn't fit and that it's not the right one.

The 2 numbskulls working there then started laughing at what I was saying (so basically laughing at me), and asking each other "How long have you been in this business?". Fair to say I was livid, got my money and left. Cnuts.

Then to add to this, Audi ordered the drive flange for me from BMW and BMW sent them the whole hub (about £360) instead of just the flange. So had to wait another couple days to get the flange in. I had to then go to BMW and get a driveshaft direct from them to be sure that it would fit, and I couldn't find any other elsewhere. That was a bit expensive at £410...

Anyway. Once Audi got all the new parts it went back together all fine and I got the car back. Thankfully, the noise from the rear has gone, so I think that whatever was wrong with the driveshaft and bearing on the left was causing the noise.

Then, When I was checking something on the front left (can't remember what I was checking at the time) a noticed the front left wheel had some play in it. I managed to narrow it down to the front left bearing being crap. Luckily these ones are actually a lot cheaper and easier to replace, with just 4 bolts to undo! Did it in a couple hours on my drive:

photo_zps853c550e.jpg

I have also given it a well needed service of:
- Oil
- Oil Filter
- Micro Filter
- Air Filter

It really did need a service as it hadn't been done since last April (about 15k ago). The old oil was looking rather thick and black when I took it out :eek:

I thought I would be a bit tight and get an air filter from Euro Car Parts (a different store) but once again, the one they provided didn't actually fit. The one they supplied has a larger paper:foam ratio and so it wouldnt actually fit inside the airbox. Ended up just taking it back for a refund and going to BMW direct.

Then.... On my way down to Newquay on a lads holiday, we came across some traffic (typical) so we decided to turn off and go down some back roads. There were 3 of us in convoy, with my mate's Land Rover Discovery leading, and unfortunately what he took us down felt like a rally stage. It was stupidly narrow and to be honest, I was probably going a little faster than I should have been because of it.

I then managed to hit a rock. I missed it with my wheels but it caught on the jacking point under my car and took a nice chunk out of it. I've only just gotten around to replacing it today.

1239469_10151591393350009_1650053615_n_zps0379eacf.jpg

Got a couple small scrapes on the underside of the sideskirt as well, so only cosmetic damage which can't really be seen unless you're lying on the floor.

That's about it for updates now! Didn't realise I couldnt type so much! Haha! I'll try and get more pics of the car up soon!

So basically, I am never buying from Euro Car Parts again. OEM all the way.

Last edited:
  Leon Cupra 300
Can't believe bearings go so easily.

Front NS went on my 335d at 80k miles. I thought that was bad..

Bux

Golf GTD
Finally got round to giving it a proper wash, claying and waxing today and then got a few photos before it started raining!

9742106474_346de054cd_b.jpg

9739895041_25a05ed5e8_b.jpg

9742106518_bd64f66174_b.jpg

9739895291_fc81505f91_b.jpg

Not a 320d
Thats a nice looking motor now :) Love the wheels

did you find Non RFT much difference? I heard the suspension actually reacts to the road surface with proper tyres on.

Bux

Golf GTD
Thanks guys!

Cliotoby said:
did you find Non RFT much difference? I heard the suspension actually reacts to the road surface with proper tyres on.

I will never go back to runflats. The car has so much more grip. I used to get a bit of understeer where the RFTs were so stiff but it's pretty much gone now. It's also a bit more comfortable on bumpy surfaces, but the M-Sport suspension wasn't made to be comfortable.

had a little fiddle with one of the pics. Tempted to get this as a canvas to put on my wall...

9758709942_1737134ace_b.jpg

Last edited:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely car and looks awesome on the wheels. Same wheels my mate has on his 320si.

123d coupe
i have the same. Its a lovely car, had it 18months now after having had a 182 for four years. Auto box too and is only deisel engine to get paddles. She's had had a few cosmetic mods done, wraps for the window trim, gloss black grill, and tints.

DB.

BMW 440i
Having owned the car just over a year now, how long can you see you keeping it, long termer? I'm looking into the M235i's for next year coming from the Golf Gti so curious as to your opinion!

Bux

Golf GTD
Having owned the car just over a year now, how long can you see you keeping it, long termer? I'm looking into the M235i's for next year coming from the Golf Gti so curious as to your opinion!

I plan on keeping it for a while longer. I'll probably decide to get rid of it once i stop looking back at it when i've parked up.

Right now, it's all the car I could possibly need:
- It does 43 mpg on my round trip of 52 miles to work, and that's in start stop traffic
- Ive got it looking how i wanted, so don't need to spend anything on cosmetics
- It's got plenty of power and I still love booting it in 2nd/3rd after coming out of a corner and feeling the torque.
- Plenty of grip in the dry, and is playful in the wet. I keep traction control on and it allows for a little bit of a kick and then pulls it back in.
- Now that it's starting to get cold out, the heated seats are a dream. And the aircon and climate control are really good when it's hot.
- Plenty of boot space, and enough room for a spare wheel for long journeys
- Plenty of space inside, even behind my seat (I'm 6ft 2). I don't understand why some people say you cant get in the back of them.
- The quality still feels fantastic, even though it's 5 years old! It doesn't quite compare to the brand new BMWs, but it's still pretty decent and is a nice place to be.
- Parking sensors front and rear make parking easy as hell, not that I solely rely on them.

The only things that are annoy me about it are:
- Mine doesn't have cruise control
- Mine doesn't have idrive - it's something i'd quite
- It's pretty useless in winter. It won't be leaving my drive when it snows.
- Ride can be a little bit crashy, however this is a known issue.
- Retrofitted xenons - It bugs me that they are retrofitted and are not standard.. just a bit of OCD really.
- Tyre price - Expensive :(
- Timing chain issues - These are known issues with the N47 engine and can cost a lot if it goes wrong. I'm not really that fussed about it but it can get annoying when it's all you read about on the bmw owners forums.
- Handbrake - The handbrake design means there's about an inch of roll as it takes up the slack, which is just annoying!
- Scratches on the windscreen - sometime before i bought it, something lightly scratched the windscreen and it's basically at eyeline level. It's like when you have a heated front windscreen and being able to see the heating elements, except scratches.

I did a 300 mile round trip in it last week for work and it was such an easy drive, even without cruise control!

If i had the money, I would probably be looking at M235i's as well but need to start saving some money and my daily commute would probably kill me with fuel costs. I'd say that the M235i will be a fantastic car though, and I think it looks miles better than my 123d.

Lovely car, looks ace on the new wheels
smiley1.gif

Thanks mate :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I really really like this. I think it fulfils everything I want in my next car tbh (except soft top).

Crazy comment about snow though, get winter wheels and tyres if you're that bothered! I went everywhere in my z4 in the snow on winter wheels and rubbish tyres. What made you think that about snow?

Clio 200T
The chances of that.. I was Stevo! on babybmw.net, dont go on their any more as I bought my 200.

Only had my BMW 8 months from brand new and if I'm honest I found it really boring, a bit tail happy but thats about it. Maybe because I was 20 when I bought it (now 21) but I dont really need something that luxury lol.

IMG_3505-2_zpsa38a7d2a.jpg

Was the 2013 M Sport Plus

Blue leather stitched seats (standard)
313 18" Alloys (standard)
BMW Performance carbon fibre rear spoiler
Carbon dash trim and centre console
Eibach pro kit springs (cant remember the height now)
Xenon upgraded lights.

Looked good but wasn't for me.

Bux

Golf GTD
I really really like this. I think it fulfils everything I want in my next car tbh (except soft top).

Crazy comment about snow though, get winter wheels and tyres if you're that bothered! I went everywhere in my z4 in the snow on winter wheels and rubbish tyres. What made you think that about snow?

I'm not really that bothered about the snow, as I don't tend to drive when it does snow. If i do go out then it'll either be within walking distance or out with my mate in his Land Rover for a play!

I just remember how tail happy it was once it started snowing last year. It practically fell out of my drive when i left for work and when I got back I had to get a run-up just to get on my drive, and ended digging up the gravel drive to manoeuvre it into my space...

537002_10151216087155009_1486738228_n_zps689c9870.jpg

If i was really worried though I would get myself some winter wheels and tyres, but cannot comment on how much better they would be. I do have a spare set of wheels if needed.

The chances of that.. I was Stevo! on babybmw.net, dont go on their any more as I bought my 200.

Only had my BMW 8 months from brand new and if I'm honest I found it really boring, a bit tail happy but thats about it. Maybe because I was 20 when I bought it (now 21) but I dont really need something that luxury lol.

Was the 2013 M Sport Plus

Blue leather stitched seats (standard)
313 18" Alloys (standard)
BMW Performance carbon fibre rear spoiler
Carbon dash trim and centre console
Eibach pro kit springs (cant remember the height now)
Xenon upgraded lights.

Looked good but wasn't for me.

I remember you on there mate, I think i commented on your thread when you first joined. I'm only 22, and bought it when I was 21 so i'm only a year ahead!

Clio 200T
I remember you on there mate, I think i commented on your thread when you first joined. I'm only 22, and bought it when I was 21 so i'm only a year ahead!

Yeah just wasn't for me tbh. I just sold my winter wheels, they were pretty much brand new and had only covered a few miles.. could of had them, only wanted £300 for them. They didn't stay for sale for long haha.

Bux

Golf GTD
Yeah just wasn't for me tbh. I just sold my winter wheels, they were pretty much brand new and had only covered a few miles.. could of had them, only wanted £300 for them. They didn't stay for sale for long haha.

Haha! I'd probably have been tempted had I seen them!

Bux

Golf GTD
Yeah I think it looks fantastic and would love one in a few years when they've come down in price!