ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

172 Race Car
Oulton Park race Report:

Our last race of 2011 and after some strong results and the car working well recently, we were really looking forward to the meeting. The weather leading up to the day had been amazing, with temperatures reaching 28 degrees. The forecast was for a dry and sunny day, it turned out to be one of the hottest race days we’d ever done.
Tony had setup the night before and me, Matt and Dan turned up around 8am to help prep the car. The queue for sign on and scrutineering was surprisingly short and we were in and out in less than 10 mins.

queue-for-scrut.jpg

Qualifying was at 10:15 and the sun was blazing now. After me starting the last 2 races Tony was back in first. He joined the circuit from the pitlane but had a 360 spin warming up tyres before reaching the next corner. The circuit was very slippery. Ooops!
As Oulton is such a long lap, 11 to 12 laps is about all we can do in a 30min practice session. Tony was doing some very good times so I decided to leave him out as long as possible as one of our lap times was disallowed for cutting the 2nd chicane. He did our fastest lap (good enough for pole at the time) on his 6th lap. The next was the in lap as I needed to do the minimum 3 laps to get into the race. He continued to push and had another 360 spin at cascades. We came in and I jumped in to do my few laps. Tony told me how slippery the circuit was and I had a few sideways moments. I had traffic on all my laps but I had enough laps to start to get into a rythum.

oulton11q.jpg
oulton11.jpg

4th was the final position from qualifying, we were very pleased with that. We discovered that we had made a small mistake with tyre pressures so decided to correct that and make no setup changes for the race. The weather began to get even hotter. During our pre race prep we found that the engine had been breathing heavily and had spat some oil out. It has taken a thrashing this year and been getting slowly worse. We had a nice lunch and a good chat to our guests from Cliosport.net and started to get ready for the race at 15:15.
Tony got a decent start and was side by side with the number 80 Saxo around the first corner, Old Hall. He dropped behind and went up the inside into Cascades. He left room on the exit as the Saxo was still on the outside but they touched and our door mirror went flying. The Saxo started to spin and collected Tony again, knocking him accross the track and narrowly missing Jerry in the 306.

oulton-race-start.jpg
just-before-the-bump.jpg

The car had survived and we were in 4th. By the end of the lap the front 2 had pulled away and that left the #28 Civic in 3rd, us 4th and Ian Collins, in his first race back after a big crash at Cadwell, in 5th in his Clio. The car was running well, Tony able to get close to the Civic a few times but it was starting to smoke and we could smell burning oil as it passed the pits. The engine temperature began to climb to over 100 degrees and Tony had the heater on flat out to try and help cool it. Not pleasant on a day with 29degree weather and in a 3 layer fireproof suit. I hoped it would last the distance as we might be able to jump the Civic in the pits and the leader had a success penalty to take, we were looking at a good result, but was worried we’d get black and orange flagged.

a-sign-of-trouble.jpg

I didnt need to worry as it didnt last till the stops, coming out of the hairpin on lap 7 it lost power. Ian went by and Tony gunned it out of the chicane, it was making a nasty noise and went bang just before Knickerbrook.

a-smokey-end.jpg

So that was it, a dissapointing end to a great season. 3 trophys this year is more than we hoped for so we cant be too downbeat. It was a shame not to end on a high tho. The damage to the car was fairly minor but its getting some mechanical TLC over the winter, along with a new engine of course.

another-battle-scar.jpg

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Well guys, its was a rather panel banging, smoking end to the season but i must say its been a pleasure to watch you. You both drove like demons the whole season and have a great deal to be proud of.
Looking forward to seeing you come back bigger and better next year!

182cup & 172 racecar
We'll be there Ollie,don't worry.
Panel bashing,it wasn't that bad really(well for us anyway),the Saxo braked early into Cascades,so I thought up the inside seemed the best option,I did leave him enough room,this was confirmed by Ian in the Clio behind it all,just lucky I didn't collect Jerry in the Peugeot as he came past,it was very close.
I just had to take a deep breath as I turned into Island and hope nothing had broken.

172 Race Car
Think it started with rings yea, had a lot of blowby (pressurising oil system) was leaking from everywhere after quali. Sounded like a big end went in the end. will strip it down one day and have a laugh.

Silverstones flat out blast must of been the final nail. Mind you, we did give it death there, had to to make up for lack of straight line speed..

Remember, it was a poorly engine 2 years ago when we built the car, was down on compression cylinder 3

Clio 182 Race Car
I couldn't believe how well that engine went right to the end, I have just had to wash my car in thinners to get all your oil off it! Anyway well done guys , you should be delighted with what you have achieved this year, I for one look forward to racing with you next year - don't spend too much on that new engine!

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
Failure is always an option but perhaps this couldn't happen at a better time, you will have enough time to fix the engine this winter. I'm proud of knowing you and thank you very much for testing my gear linkage parts.

182cup & 172 racecar
I couldn't believe how well that engine went right to the end, I have just had to wash my car in thinners to get all your oil off it! Anyway well done guys , you should be delighted with what you have achieved this year, I for one look forward to racing with you next year - don't spend too much on that new engine!
Returning the favour after you did it to me at Anglesey last year,next year,can't wait.

Failure is always an option but perhaps this couldn't happen at a better time, you will have enough time to fix the engine this winter. I'm proud of knowing you and thank you very much for testing my gear linkage parts.
No problem Yanoo,and thanks.

I'll have to get down to watch one of your races next year - have been way too busy this year.
Any excuse Alex ;)

172 Race Car
Just been sent this on the racing club forum

IMG_1743.jpg

At the end of quali, Puma braked and stayed right, I went up the inside and then he turned in.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Ahhh well that explains why the engine went pop then! All the bloody oil had been momentarily tipped out of the sump!! ;)

Golf GTD Mk7

Lol. You should have looked under their bonnet. It'll be interesting to see where it all came from.

Yours was going very well mate. Car looked really good. I was going to pop over and have a butchers, but couldn't see you in the paddock. What position did you start by the way? Didn't notice you on the first lap, then you were right up there. Might have been due to saxo gate ;)

Burpspeed needs to be sponsored by Wossner for 2012 :approve: