ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

182cup & 172 racecar
After having a nasty oil leak from somewhere on the gearbox at Rockingham, I did a little investigation yesterday.

Took the 5th gear cover off to find a small nick in the rubber o ring that seals the cover to the gearbox.

I hope this was the problem, as it was leaking a fair bit when hot. Cheap part, but just a pain to fit in situ, had to phone James, just to make sure I was doing it right.

Apart from that, everything else seemed alright, so it should be ready for Combe on B/H Monday in May. Fingers crossed.

Clio 200T
After having a nasty oil leak from somewhere on the gearbox at Rockingham, I did a little investigation yesterday.

Took the 5th gear cover off to find a small nick in the rubber o ring that seals the cover to the gearbox.

I hope this was the problem, as it was leaking a fair bit when hot. Cheap part, but just a pain to fit in situ, had to phone James, just to make sure I was doing it right.

Apart from that, everything else seemed alright, so it should be ready for Combe on B/H Monday in May. Fingers crossed.
Aren't my parts always cheap? :eek:

182cup & 172 racecar
get-attachment.aspx

182cup & 172 racecar
Timetable Mon May 5th

Sign on 7.15-7.40

Scrutineering 7.20-7.45

Quali 8.45

Race1 12.45

Race2 15.30

Entry sent, and all sorted. :)

182cup & 172 racecar
After the trials and tribulations of the winter, it was time to get the cobwebs off #4 and go for a blast.
A cheap test day came for offer on the Friday before race day, so off we went.

The car felt very strong through all the gears, so thanks to Dan at 519automotive for that, and the new roll correction kit felt good too, def turned in quicker.

But I think I disappointed James a little when I said I couldn't really tell the difference with it on. Just remember I hadn't driven the car since October!! So it was hard to tell straight away.

Only did a couple of sessions, just to get back into the swing of things, no point in wasting fuel and tyres by going round and round.

Race day.

Car flew through scrutineering, and for once, noise check was a breeze.

I treated the car to a complete new Janspeed system over the winter and it seems to have done the trick.

We have a few more cars this year, and it's made things interesting indeed, a couple of quick 205's and a very quick Saxo!

Quali put me in 5th (must try harder), but I can live with that, as there is no point in binning it before a race, well that's my excuse anyway. I think Russ enjoyed me showing him around, and then pipping me at the post (Mr Sneaky ;)).

Race 1

We all seemed to get a good enough start, but it was quite obvious, well to me anyway, that one of the 205's and the Saxo were going to shoot off, Russ gave hot pursuit and just tagged along for the ride.
2014TricoloreRockinghamRace101_zpseb7715f5.jpg

I was having a tussle with one of the 205's, when suddenly a cloud of oil/coolant mixture shot out everywhere, it's hard to stop yourself from putting the wipers on, but I would've never been able to see out the screen.

This left me in 3rd place, and with Russ and the Saxo gone up the road and nobody behind, I literally cruised round in 5th just keeping one eye in the mirror, a safe 3rd is better than a non finish.

Race 2
2014TricoloreRockinghamRace204_zpseeda3d5b.jpg

Again, we all got away to a good start, just bit of a bun fight into the first corner/hairpin, but no bumping or bashing and we all got through safely plus I managed to block out the remaining 205 on the exit, so just two ahead now.
2014TricoloreRockinghamRace213_zps2caea797.jpg

At the end of lap 1, Russ got a little excited and out braked himself going into the hairpin, so the gift was taken (thanks).

I spent the next 10min or so chasing the Saxo with no success, all this with Russ and the 205 snapping at my heels.

I had to make a decision, keep chasing the Saxo and risk going wide or missing a braking point, if i did this, I would lose 2 places, or spend the last 3-4 laps defending, and secure 2nd place?
2014TricoloreRockinghamRace2135_zps9c54eb4e.jpg

I chose the latter, how wide can you make a Clio? very wide if you ask Russ. I could feel their pain by looking in the mirror, they were both bobbing about everywhere, but sticking to a crafty line and parking it on the apexes, I survived the day, and 2nd was mine.

Great to be back out there again, and meet all the Track Attacker's, who's silly talk and banter I've missed.

Thanks as always to Mike and Nick who give up their spare time to help me out and eat my food ;).

182cup & 172 racecar
It certainly was, and it was nice to get back in the paddock.

Also like to thank Pete Toast for bringing his camera, although it packed up after 15 seconds, and to James, who, just happened to have his GoPro in his car, so at least we could film race 2. ( I left all my gear at home, doh!!)

Great report Tony, didnt realise you had Gopro probs, was it a flat battery? If it happens again in the future i have the hardwire power supply that i can lend, i bring it as a back up incase the vbox goes tits up

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Mini182, sort it out and get on the grid, if you need any help or advice send me a pm if you want.
Tony, I enjoyed the guided tour in quali, so much so I felt a bit guilty and let you by in race 2! Hope it goes well at Combe and I'll see you at Donny.
Russ

182cup & 172 racecar
Just about all loaded up, wheels took some cleaning, not been touched since Rockingham, nearly a hammer and chisel job!

182cup & 172 racecar
It never seems to run out. Only at Cadwell, but we had it on in testing the day before as well, and I forgot to charge it overnight.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I'll bring mine as well just in case.

I never heard back about staying there all weekend btw :/