ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed: Oulton Park Race Report

172 Race Car
Saturday 12th Jun 2010 - Oulton Park Tintops Race

Another sunny race day, another circuit. The full International layout at Oulton Park. After wearing out our Hankook tyres at Anglesey and not being able to get any replacements, we had no choice but to choose another tyre brand. We went for the Dunlop DZ03 as this is quite a popular tyre in the Tintops series. However, with no time to test before the race day we had to hope that they would work with the setup we left Anglesey with.

We set up camp for the day and swapped the wheels over as normal. We had fully checked the car over during the week, so it was ready to go. The only job left was to tighten up the fan belt a little. As soon as we loosened the adjuster on the alternator, we discovered the casing had broken. A spare alternator was the only thing we had forgotten to bring! The top bracket done up tight was the best we could do.

571.jpg
572.jpg

561.jpg
575.jpg

Oulton is the first circuit we have visited that both of us had perviously been to. Both of us have done a few track days there. Based on how we had got on in the past, we had set ourselves the target of getting into the 2min03sec bracket. I did the first stint in qualifying and realised straight away that the setup was way off for our new tyres. It was now the total opposite to Brands Hatch, massive oversteer. I had a spin on my first lap and braked too late for the Hizzy chicane on the second. 2 laps later I had another huge spin exiting knickerbrook, this time I knew it wasn't just me/setup. As I slid across the grass I could see steam from the bonnet so made my way slowly into the pits. Tony and our crew for the day were surprised to see me. They took the bonnet off and the problem was obvious. A split hose had sprayed coolant all over the engine bay and the rear tyres were covered too. Some swift work by our guys got the hose repaired and some water back in with 9 minutes of qualifying left.

shapeimage_4.png

252.jpg
268.jpg

570.jpg
564.jpg

Tony had to complete some laps to get into the race. He took the first lap steady to clean up the tyres, then realised the car wanted to kill you at every turn. He missed the 2nd chicane, twice, a big sideways moment at Cascades and a trip through the gravel at Druids. The car was awful.

7 laps was all we had managed between us, but remarkably a 2:04.4 from Tony got us 9th on the grid.

590.jpg

After qualifying had finished, a marshall told us to go and visit the clerk of the course. We had been naughty boys. We were shown a sheet that they fill in at race control when the marshals radio in any incidents. 3/4 of the page was car 4. Missed chicane and continued, spin and continued, spin and continued, missed chicane and continued (possible advantage) Spin, trip through gravel and continued. He wasn't impressed. We told him about the coolant leak and said we were sorry, we left without penalty but were warned that we might get charged extra for using bits of the circuit we hadn't paid to use.

A big adjustment had to be made to try and get the car to stop going backwards into the corners. The biggest change we had made to make the Hankook's work was the rear anti roll bar. We took the links off completely and had to hope for the best. We checked the coolant hose and used the laptop to monitor the coolant temperature as the engine warmed up again. All was fine, a lucky escape.

574.jpg

3pm rolled around and the start of the race. Starting 9th place gave us position on the inside, near the pit wall. Someone ahead of us had to withdraw, so this promoted us up to 8th on the grid and on the outside. The lights went out and I made quite a good start, gaining a little on the car in front. Simon in the Peugeot 205 beside me had made an even better getaway and pulled alongside into the first turn. I ran wide and took to the grass. After what seemed like the whole grid had passed me I regained the track in 12th place but was back up to 10th by the end of the lap. The car felt much better than in qualifying, with a little turn in oversteer and some exit understeer. I had a few lockups into the hairpin as I struggled to get the car slowed down.

246.jpg
582.jpg

584.jpg
586.jpg

I made up a few places and was back up to 8th before the pit stop. I came into the pits at the end of lap 9, very quickly and struggled to slow down before the speed limit line. We had practiced our driver changes again in the lunch break and improved from Anglesey. Stationary for only 20 seconds, Tony was in and on his way.

He exited the pits right behind the 5th place car, as at Anglesey we had made a big jump through the pitstop phase. 6th place slipped by as Tony got up to speed and started to learn how the car felt. He managed to hang on to them for a few laps as they had a big battle. But the cars natural pace was behind them and he started to fall away into a very lonely 7th place. Another lock up and almost missing the 2nd chicane again gave the left front tyre a bad flat spot on lap 17. This caused a vibration but Tony's best lap of 2:03.8 was set on the final lap.

shapeimage_5.png
shapeimage_6.png

shapeimage_7.png

So 7th wasn't a bad result after a short qualifying and my mistake at the start. The day had again highlighted how valuable the test at Anglesey had been. Had we had the time to test before, we would of sorted the problems out and got a reasonable setup on the new tyres before race day. We were both pushing really hard in the race, a slightly disappointing day but the car survived and so did we.

oulton%20results.jpg

53 Clio's & counting
Bear in mind the size of the field, and this being your first season in the car, your both doing fantastic guys :)

Turbos.
Nice write up once more! Know your pain when it comes to new tyres, amazing the difference they make.

Are you able to use Clio Cup racer data for setup or is the car too different?

172 Race Car
Car is quite different and obviousy were not on slicks. Were struggling to find the time and budget to do some proper testing. We need to take tyre temperatures etc and go from there.

The Dunlops seem to be quite good but the Hankooks are what have thrown us. The setu is so different on them. If we had stayed on them for this round we think the car would of been quite good

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Big difference in the quality of driving if you go off the fastest laps. The guy who came second was hugely faster than anyone else.

Track 172cup
great write up again gents, sounds like your doing great though considering your learning about bits as you go along with the setup

stocking up on tyres from now on then lol ? you prefering the hankooks or the dunlops for future races ?

what spec are the 2 CTR's btw ? seem to be very quick in the last 2 races

182cup & 172 racecar
It is also a very very quick car,when you start spending 30,40 or even 50K(rumour has it even more) that is serious stuff.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Good work Jay, Tony showed me some of his craftsmanship on the Burp machine yesterday, very impressive.

Keep it up and keep the updates and race reports coming, one day I'll take inspiration from it and get off my arse and do something similar.

182cup & 172 racecar
great write up again gents, sounds like your doing great though considering your learning about bits as you go along with the setup

you prefering the hankooks or the dunlops for future races?

To be quite honest I would have paid a fortune for just one Hankook for Oulton,because we had the car set up for them.They are very soft,the Dunlops feel sort of 888's,just got to get around to setting it all up again:(

182cup & 172 racecar
I would like to thank
Arran " Hot Hands" 182
Matt "The Brother"
Tim "The Plumber"
Helen "The Nutritionist bacon or bacon"

For all your help on the day,it really does make a difference having help.

172 Race Car
Getting a touch of attitude there, did you mean to sound arsey? I don't know him from Adam.
Not at all. But the way you said 'quality of driving' was strange. Its not like its a 'spec' series. loads of different cars out there.

Mike Jordan is a top line driver. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Jordan

And as Tony says the Integra has a serious amount of money put into it. Its an ex-britcar, not a 10 year old Renault that 2 bums built in a shed.

Im chuffed to bits we can finish on the same lap as the leader considering my lack of experiance

Last edited:
  172 Race Car
stocking up on tyres from now on then lol ? you prefering the hankooks or the dunlops for future races ?

what spec are the 2 CTR's btw ? seem to be very quick in the last 2 races
Hankoks are not available anymore, a real shame as we hajust started to suss them out. The car was pretty good at Anglesey.

CTR's are around 280bhp so we gather. We did beat one of them at Anglesey mind ;)

Clio 200 Cup
"I came into the pits at the end of lap 9, very quickly and struggled to slow down before the speed limit line"

I was watching near dear leap....and saw you lock up massively going into the pits - I thought you'd binned it! Great stuff.

What upset me most was seeing a Rover lead the pack for the first few laps. I felt dirty, I really did.

172 Race Car
"I came into the pits at the end of lap 9, very quickly and struggled to slow down before the speed limit line"

I was watching near dear leap....and saw you lock up massively going into the pits - I thought you'd binned it! Great stuff.
I shat my pants tbqfh, was going way too fast. Id been pushing really hard on the last 2 laps before I pitted. I was ruined when I got out of the car.

JDM Dc2
mint didnt realise Mike jordan was there racing... that might explain why i seen andrew walking round the paddock lol

Seat Leon Supercopa
To be quite honest I would have paid a fortune for just one Hankook for Oulton,because we had the car set up for them.They are very soft,the Dunlops feel sort of 888's,just got to get around to setting it all up again:(

Apologies for not going and looking this up myself!!!...
Are you allowed to run slicks?
Can tag some on to our orders if it helps?
O.

172 Race Car
No, we have to run Blue Book List 1b tyres, so basicly R888, A048, DZ03 etc, road legal treaded tyres.

Fishcake: Next race isnt untill the end of August for us. The club is off to Nurburgring (for the classic stuff not tintops) then Spa and then Cadwell.

Seat Leon Supercopa
Ah Ok understood.
FWIW I always found A048's very good on the Noble, I appreciate it's a completely different thing though!

172 Race Car
one of the other Clio's runners seams to be able to swap between the Dunlops and Yoko A048's without any problems.

182cup & 172 racecar
Apologies for not going and looking this up myself!!!...
Are you allowed to run slicks?
Can tag some on to our orders if it helps?
O.
Thanks for the offer Owen,but as Jay explained we cannot use them.

How you guy's doing anyway?

wtf with the cocky negativity in here by some, wind your necks in ffs!

brilliant result to be fair in a car that, as previously said, is very early in its development, and is in a field that contains the likes of Jordan et al.

keep up the good work chaps.

Track 172cup
Hankoks are not available anymore, a real shame as we hajust started to suss them out. The car was pretty good at Anglesey.

CTR's are around 280bhp so we gather. We did beat one of them at Anglesey mind ;)

forgot you beat one of them at the last race, bloody good going with the lap times they have been putting in, would have been interesting to see how you would have done on the same setup as Anglesey but i suppose the learing is just all part of the fun with racing, shows how much a small(ish) change can make a huge difference !

what tyres do you use for wet weather races ?

can't see any negativity thats been posted so far Naith ?

Track 172cup
ah i know what your talking about now

anyway looking forward to your next write up gents, pity it's not for a while but hopefully it will give you time to get everything sorted for the next race

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Great stuff, reading these reports makes me smile from ear to ear tbh and I can't even describe how much want to do something similar myself. (When I've been in employment for more than 4 months) lol!

Considering it sounds like you had a bit of a mare, you still finished very well. Keep up the good work (and write ups) :)

Coupe/Defender V8
good result considering the shaky start. Better luck next time guys.

Also it's a shame that first pic isn't a better shot would make a cracking photo that

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Looks great. Love the broadside picture, brown trouser moment guys?! I'm off to Lydden Hill next week to watch some of this, cant wait if its anything like your write up.