ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed - From The beginning

172 Race Car
Re: My Ph1 172 track sl*g Progress Thread

Lol,

NO!
menupop.gif

172 Race Car

Clutch ratchet = fixed......Literaly!

ive been pissing about with it for weeks now. So took it out for the 300th time today to see what else i could do.

I found that i could fix it so the auto adjuster wouldn't work, but still alow for adjustment if and when the time came.

Drilled two holes and put some bolts through, they are up against the pawl bit of the ratchet and effectivly fix the ratchet in one position. Some carefull mesuring was required to get it right.

IMAGE_473.jpg

Took it on a short test drive and its working well, has a very 'direct' feel now. Will give it a longer run tomorrow and fingers crossed that will be the last time i have to f**k about with it for a while..........

Qashcow

sweet, about bloody time. 1 less thing to worry about now then

172 Race Car

Right update time............

One of the aux belt pulleys has been squealing for some time on start up but just recently it got worse. Decided to put track time on hold and pull out of combe and sort it.

This envolves alot of work as im going to change the cambelt, looking for my missing horses, and finaly ditch the air con compressor and simplify the aux set up.

Dave came around again today and after we had done some jobs on his we ripped the front end off.

IMAGE_502.jpg

IMAGE_503.jpg

IMAGE_504.jpg

IMAGE_505.jpg

IMAGE_506.jpg

IMAGE_509.jpg

Look at the amount of pointless crap they hang off the side of these engines!

IMAGE_511.jpg

Thats better....

IMAGE_514.jpg

All the bits removed.....

IMAGE_531.jpg

Add up to this much!

IMAGE_530.jpg

Here is the new mount courtesy of a laguna

IMAGE_496.jpg

And a Volvo 440 has kindly donated its adjuster

IMAGE_494.jpg

The intention was to ditch the pas pump and switch to a saxo electric pump. Still not 100% sure on which route im taking but plans are afoot, more on that soon.

Decided to time up the engine to check if it was out, as i suspect this could be the problem. Sure enuff it was. Will be changing the lot soon.

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v

Glad to hear you've more than likely got to the bottom othe missing horses didn't realise changing the cambelt meant stripping so much off!!!! Mega saving of 10kg you'd really struggle to find that anywhere else with the car already so stripped.

This car must be such a weapon!!

172 Race Car

You dont need to strip this much off but im doing lots of other things at the same time so thats why it looks drastic.

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

Good luck with the missing bhp...

I had my Cambelt changed this week properly and the car goes like a rocket compared to when it went in!!!

I hope you have the same result :approve:

Qashcow

i wonder just how many cambelts are fitted incorrectly....

its 10kg's forwards of the front wheels too so should make a healthy difference. not bad for a few hours graft

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Aye I reckon that'll be well worth it, maybe about the same as putting the battery in the boot

172 Race Car

Made a decision(sp) on the pas. The saxo electric idea is out. It was a easy choice when u work out the weight of the saxo pumps (very heavy) vs the cost of the pump vs the ease of installation

Picked up a different alternator and pas pump today, fits my new brackets without modification. all i need is a custom pipe adapter made. will look into this later this week. Should make it a very good, reliable and cheap conversion. Pics and details soon

The standard 172 pas pump did fit, but the pump pulley would of needed spacing out to line up correctly, posibly making it a bit fragile. I wasnt happy with the alternator, it would of needed a bit of modding to get it to fit and then the adustment wasnt the best. Changing both means it all fits spot on and will be cheap and easy to put right should anything go wrong in the future

172 Race Car

update..

Its going back together, alltho i still need some bits and peices the big stuff is done.

I took the panel out on the bulkhead hoping to get the aircon evaporator out, this was my second attempt at doing this and i gave up again, Lol. Its staying put, it probably weighs very little as its all ali. Could of got a non a/c heater unit but it would of been better to do it earlier in the build. Still i managed to cut the pipes off shorter to make it even neater.

IMAGE_543.jpg

After that i ripped the bulk head insulation off as the heat shield had fallen off it. Might need to make something up to protect the pipes now tho.

Yesterday i stripped the cambelt covers off to make a start on the belt change.

Tip-ex ahoy!

IMAGE_551.jpg

I bought myself the special Reno tool for locking the cams. Its a good tool, altho i took a grinder to it to get it to fit a little better.

IMAGE_552.jpg

All apart and ready for the new belt and pulleys

IMAGE_553.jpg

Built back up after resetting the cam timing using the correct locking tools and not a tube of liquid paper :rolleyes:

IMAGE_554.jpg

IMAGE_556.jpg

I had to hear it run, even tho its not fully together. I just fitted the bare minimum to get it running.

Started first time on the button and ticks over lovely. Didnt want to run it for long as there is no colant in it but I gave it a little rev and man does it feel different. Its so eager to rev, sounded like a rabid dog barking!

172 Race Car

I always planned to relocate my ecu at some point and now seamed as good a time as any. I cut the battery holder bits off the gearbox mount and led it down.....

IMAGE_550.jpg

Didnt like it there so i took it out of the brackets and fitted it to the side of the strut.

IMAGE_559.jpg

IMAGE_565.jpg

IMAGE_564.jpg

There were already holes and mount points in the correct places here and it fitted very easily. I only needed to give the loom a little slack. Much more room now for future induction mods and the brackets weigh 1.5kgs! Lol

along the lines of future induction I modded the front bumper and n/s headlamp support....

IMAGE_507.jpg

IMAGE_508.jpg

IMAGE_528.jpg

IMAGE_529.jpg

IMAGE_561.jpg

Not sure if i want the drivers side to match yet. Its broken on that side so it would either be repaired when i get it painted or cuttout to match the passenger side.

Opinions??

IMAGE_562.jpg

Also yesterday i noticed that the knock sensor was broken. This could be a part cause of the power loss.

IMAGE_555.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

PMSL!! If i started cutting my front bumper in the front room, my Mrs would cut my nuts off!!

Cant wait to see it mate. Really good progress there. :)

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

Loving this blog and always some interesting pikey mods to read about ha ha ha.

You must be brave doing the cambelt your self! well done...

Would love to have the time and resource to do a similar project.

Lets hope you have found those lost ponies in there somewhere.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member

burp would have been nice to see the cams locked at the other end as well, as for a picture referance.

BMW M135i

Looking good Burp, must have shed a few pounds now :).

Glad to hear you've more than likely got to the bottom othe missing horses didn't realise changing the cambelt meant stripping so much off!!!!
You only have to strip this much off, its still a bit of a mish though!

http://gallery.getflat.co.uk/v/My_C...ambelt/DSC00240.JPG.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=2
http://gallery.getflat.co.uk/v/My_Cars/2003_Renaultsport_Clio_172/Cambelt/

106 GTi

Nice progress - lol @ the bumper cutting in the house !

172 Race Car

Loving this blog and always some interesting pikey mods to read about ha ha ha.

You must be brave doing the cambelt your self! well done...
Not brave as i did my old one and ive done more cambelts than ive had hot dinners. been in the trade for 14years. These are not nice tho

burp would have been nice to see the cams locked at the other end as well, as for a picture referance.
yea i thought that later but it was too late. Im sure you have seen it before tho ;)
Nice progress - lol @ the bumper cutting in the house !

It was raining! Lol.

clio 172 sport, zxr6

now thats a good read
welldone on your mission m8, how do you rate the pradas? have you ever used any other tyres on the track?
i have ran toyo proxes (not good) and toyo r888's (really good but dont last) i look forward to going round rockingham with ya

172 Race Car

Tbh ive only used the tyres at the recent airfield sprint and they were much better than th F1's i had on my old 172.

The surface was damp and slippery but they coped well. Im pleased with them.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member

Good progress!

Great that you take so many photos to show :approve:

Qashcow

looking good jay, im just scrared now how fast its going to be compared to mine. think i'll have to do a bank job and get ITB's or something lol

SCed S2000

Superb thread just read it from start to finish
Great work and great car!

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror

Ive enjoyed reading this thread! Need to pop up the road and check this thing out!;)

53 Clio's & counting

Also yesterday i noticed that the knock sensor was broken. This could be a part cause of the power loss.

IMAGE_555.jpg
[/quote]

got this replaced yet matey?