ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed: Brands Hatch race report

172 Race Car
8th May 2011 - Brands Hatch

A wet journey on the way down to Kent this morning but the forecast was for a dry, sunny day. Tony and Helen had arrived before us and put up the gazebo just before it began to rain very hard. A small river was running through our pit area but we could see blue sky approaching.

_DSC5348.jpg
_DSC5351.jpg

We didn't have to wait long until it stopped and started to dry up very quickly, the weather reports were correct for once, and there was no more rain for the rest of the day. We had a few little jobs to do on the car as well as the usual prep. The de-mister switch had fallen apart during the winter and we had not got around to changing it. A quick little job. We added some more stickers to the car too. Ady from N2Grafix did a fantastic job for us again, the car looked great.

Qualifying was at 12:00, the track was now bone dry and the sky's clear. The plan was to run Tony for a few warm up laps, bring him in for a tyre pressure check and then he would do a few hot laps before handing over to me. I'd not done any dry running in the car since October. He came in after 3 laps and the tyre pressures were ok. He reported the car was quite tail happy and we adjusted the dampers slightly when I went out. My first thoughts were that the gearbox felt brilliant and traction was a massive improvement. I slowly upped my pace to try and get a feel for the car. It was quite loose at the rear, as Tony had said and with about 5 minutes of qualifying left I pitted for a tyre pressure check. Some adjustments made and I set off again. I struggled to get used to putting the power down earlier on the exits but ended up with a 56.7 second lap, good enough for 10th on the grid.

_DSC5406.jpg
_DSC5419.jpg

We were quite happy with that as before the meeting we had said we were aiming for 56's. We know the car can go quicker with more setup work, it doesn't work as well here as it did at Mallory 2 weeks ago, a familiar story for us.

So we worked through the prep list and made another change to the dampers. The race start time was moved forward by 15 minutes and just before we had to go to the assembly area we did a few practice pitstops. Tony was starting the race and lined up on the outside of the grid. He got a decent start but was on the outside for the first corner and lost a place to Russell in the MG. By the end of the lap, one of the Integras had slipped by into clearways and a lap later another got by, leaving him in 13th. He was struggling with the rear of the car as the tyres warmed up and fell back from the two Hondas. The Fiesta in 14th was very quick around Druids and Clark but Tony had more straight-line speed so stayed ahead. Around 3 laps later he started to pull away from the Fiesta and make in roads into the Hondas. He times improved by around a second per lap and he was catching P12 very quickly. He got a good run out of clearways and slipped by into Paddock. The pit window had opened and some of the front runners had pitted, Tony continued to push on and passed the other Integra and was getting happier with the car. We ran as high as 4th place during the pitstop phase and Tony came in at the 23 minute mark, the window having been altered for this season and the pit lane now closes at 25 minutes.

_DSC5650.jpg
_DSC5652.jpg

_DSC5656.jpg
_DSC5677.jpg

_DSC5711.jpg

I joined the track and built up my pace quite slowly. The car was still very nervous and made Paddock Hill bend a bit of a scary ride. About 4 laps into my stint I exited Paddock and saw an oil flag being waved at Druids. One of the MG's had let go and spread oil all around the hairpin and halfway down the hill. I backed right off and could see the oil slick in the braking zone so dived to the inside. There was no way to avoid the oil at the apex though and slid wide. I took the next corner steady not knowing how much grip I had but it wasn't too bad. The two race leaders came up to lap me and I let them by on the pit straight but could keep up with them easily at this stage. We were all struggling on the oil at Druids and it took a few laps to clean up at the apex and exit. No one was using the left on entry so it never cleaned up. I managed to hang on to the Civic and Integra as they battled for the lead, but had Tom in the class B 205 right on my bumper. The guy drives sideways everywhere and was very quick exiting Druids. He caught me out on the exit of Graham Hill bend as I ran a little wide onto he rumble strip. I gave him a little rub as he went by and stayed with him till the end of the race. I never felt like I could get back past as he was quick in all the right places. He was quite slow through paddock as his car was very loose at the rear and I had to brake much more than I wanted. But with the oil on the entry to Druids it was never really on.

_DSC5815.jpg
_DSC5844.jpg

_DSC5830.jpg

We finished 10th overall and 8th in class, not bad considering the strong field. We were quite pleased but know we still have work to do on setup. We'd love a little understeer back that we started last year with. It was a fun race though, both me and Tony had great on track battles. I gained a lot of confidence running close to other cars and the car was working well mechanically so we can just concentrate on setup going forward.

Donington next, not been there before so should be interesting.

Great to be racing again!

you'll love donny, and trust me the clio will run well there. its an RS track.

you seem to be mixing it alot more this year, onwards and upwards.

the fiesta, didnt have silverstone race shcool plastered all over it did it?

Good little write up there! Like you've said the car was very tail happy and even Tony was having to fight it, so once you've sorted that its one less thing to worry about and focus more on chasing them damn Hondas! :) Was quite surprised at how the leading Hondas weren't a lot quicker than you guys, from the figures they are a good 40+bhp up on you so to be right up there with them is good!

p.s. - Like Naiths said, Donnington will be awesome! My fav circuit out of all the UK tracks and very clio friendly! Will see if I can pop up for that one also as its a good day out!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Blimey it looks like it really did chuck it down before we arrived.

Good write up Jay. I'd like to say i'll be up for Donny but its about a week before we are due to have the car finished........:eek:

The rain on the way down was pretty bad in places. We hit traffic at one point as a car had gone into the barrier. Not long down the road from that, we saw a BMW in the hedge that had literally just gone in, although we didn't see it. How the feck people crash on a motorway boggles the mind tbh!

The rain on the way down was pretty bad in places. We hit traffic at one point as a car had gone into the barrier. Not long down the road from that, we saw a BMW in the hedge that had literally just gone in, although we didn't see it. How the feck people crash on a motorway boggles the mind tbh!

Yeah we saw that BMW Dan! Confused me as there's bearly a bend where he crashed! :s

172 Race Car
Was quite surprised at how the leading Hondas weren't a lot quicker than you guys, from the figures they are a good 40+bhp up on you so to be right up there with them is good!
White Civic rumored to have 280bhp

When you at Donny mate?

May come up for a watch and a chat :)
Sat 28th May

Full calendar Here

Blimey it looks like it really did chuck it down before we arrived.

Good write up Jay. I'd like to say i'll be up for Donny but its about a week before we are due to have the car finished........:eek:
Get that car done mate

Turbos.
Great write up. Can't say i was a massive fan of Donington, probably because i've just been to Dijon which was awesome!

172 Race Car
guessing the fiesta didnt then...?
Sorry chap wasnt ignoring you, missed your post.

Im not sure as I never got a really good look at it.

Sounds like a good solid start.. any video? You'll enjoy Donington, might pop down that weekend if I'm free.
Only the first lap or 2, then the camera s**t itself

Last edited by a moderator:
  172 Race Car
Yea started as it left mallory. Tony came in after a few laps and we went harder on the front as he said it was really bad. it got a little better and then i had a go. we changed them again for the race. Basicly the front was almost max stiff and the rear close to max soft.

Great write up... enjoyed reading through that :) Just wish I'd known it was on at Brands this weekend as it's only round the corner!!

RB 182
Yea started as it left mallory. Tony came in after a few laps and we went harder on the front as he said it was really bad. it got a little better and then i had a go. we changed them again for the race. Basicly the front was almost max stiff and the rear close to max soft.

Fred doesn't like AST's stiff on the front ;)

Lionel Richie
correct, i'm not a fan of them (you'll get that way soon ;))

call me next time, you should've softened the front dampers, not made them harder!

172 Race Car
possibly, but i think we're reaching the conclusion your spring rates/damping rates aren't right
Thats was the conclusion. Just werid how the car worked spot on at mallory and was awfull at Brands. Similar story to last year tho. great balance at Mallory (where we were very competative) and 6 days later pants at Silverstone. Me and Tony must of spoken a dozen times since Sunday and discussed it at length.

Good thing is tho we know there is more pace in the car. if we were 10th fastest with a brilliant car we were happy with we'd be scratching our heads right now