ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

burning smell!

Clio 2.0 16v 172 Sport
Morning All,

Got in the car this morning, got a strange squeaking noise coming from the interior fans. After a minute or so, squeaking noise stopped but now got a really strong burning smell and a bit of smoke! Turned the fan off, stopped the car and left for an hour or so, got back in, turned heater back on and same burning smell (this time really strong)

Any ideas what this might be? No warning lights are on, car itself doesn't seem to be overheating and everything electrical still works ok.

Any help, as always is greatly appreciated

Paul

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
your heater box could be fubard, sounds like the motor may have started to pack up, explains the squeaking noise and burning smell

either that or something got stuck making the noise and now its smelling because of it being heated by the heater matrix

Clio 2.0 16v 172 Sport
nice - nothing to serious then. How do I check or what do i need to do. Im assuming its ok to drive the car?? just keep the heater switched off for now?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
yes it will be fine to drive without it on. does it still have the same symptons when cold air is on instead of heat? on max fan speed.

as for how to fix it, i havent a clue where the location of the heater is, but im sure somewhere thers a guide on it.

Clio 2.0 16v 172 Sport
looks like it must have been something caught or stuck on the heating element - I braved it and blasted the heater on full and the burning smell has now gone - top tip for anyone with the same issue! I do like it when stuff fixes itself without having to spend money!