ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buggered brakes at cadwell yesterday

Clio rs 200 ff n cup
Hi did a track day at cadwell yesterday we have got a ff 200 with cup chassis and also befor the trackday I replaced front disks and pads for oem brembos and rear pads for brembos as well also I bled the whole system through with new fluid and also had 4 nankang ns2r's fitted so we thought a good day was in store.The brakes were better than they had ever been due to the rears being seized to the calliper carrier.
Anyways we got to cadwell and its was very cold frost still on track so did the sighting laps and all was fine, after our lass went out for 5-6 laps then came in didn't push to hard as frost on track and cold tyres etc. But then I went out all was fine until about six laps in the pedal went soft like brake fade so I came off and we let the car cool down before going out again, this continued until dinner break with the brakes feeling fine when going out but after 5-6 laps the pedal kept going soft.

After dinner I think we got about 10 laps between us, letting car cool down inbetween going out before the problems started again, now it wasn't only the pedal feeling s**te the whole car was vibrating under heavy braking not all the time but often, it wasn't a vibration coming through the brake pedal it was coming through the whole car and it was horrible. each time we would come in let everything cool down then go out for another 5 laps until it happened again this continued until we ended up finishing early. The car was still braking when this happened but pedal feel was s**t and the vibrations were horrible.
The brakes were horrible on the way home the pedal was soft as hell and there was little braking force, all in all this ruined the day. so before I go poking around does any one have any ideas what could be the problem any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Right the vibration will be judder, which means you've either warped your discs from possibly not bedding them in properely or there is friction material transfer on the disc.

Knowing cadwell very well I'd say you were over using the brakes!? Is it your first visit?

The OE pads aren't up to many laps when you give it hell.

Clio rs 200 ff n cup
we have been to cadwell loads bud and before we could do 6-7 laps with no problems with the brakes on the old ones. Also I though brake judder was all ways felt through the brake pedal?

Clio rs 200 ff n cup
cheers I will get some of that, the reason I didn't think it was warped discs is because I changed the last discs for that reason and the vibrating was totally different was only coming through the pedal then.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds to me like fluid that is/was way past its best combined with barely bedded-in brake pads that have given a very uneven material transfer onto the disc.

How long ago was the fluid you ran last changed/bled?

Boiled the fluid and had alot of pad material transfer which caused the juddering.

Standard oem or equivilant pads are useless for track work so are ds2500.

I would go ds3000 pads along with a quality fluid like advikas has stated. Get some braided lines on too if not already done.

Make sure the correct bedding in process is followed and cool down laps are done. Also get a good suspension setup on the go so you can carry more speed so brakes don't need to be dragged. Just short applications

Last edited:
  Clio rs 200 ff n cup
thanks I have ordered the fluid that advikas recommended will get some braided hoses ordered now too, anyone have any recommendations have heard a lot of horror storied about them? and will get the ds3000 ordered bit gutted as I just spent on new standard stuff what a bugger lol what are the ds3000 like on the road? also there was another 200 on kg clubsport suspension and he could carry so much more corner speed than me was going to look at that too.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
thanks I have ordered the fluid that advikas recommended will get some braided hoses ordered now too, anyone have any recommendations have heard a lot of horror storied about them? and will get the ds3000 ordered bit gutted as I just spent on new standard stuff what a bugger lol what are the ds3000 like on the road?

Hel lines would be my choice.

We all learn the hard way mate, the standard pads are too soft for the constant hammering they get on track. Especially when you're learning a circuit, a lot of people tend to over use the brakes & cook them.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Some good advice in here, and echo what MartinR said (apart from the DS2500 bit :p)

When you chose to put stickier tyres on and replace the brake discs/pads, you should have put some more track focused front brake pads in imo mate

Clio rs 200 ff n cup
cheers for the advice, was wondering how good the standard discs are and would it be worth upgrading them? also do you know the correct bedding in process? cheers

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
If you mean standard discs as in Brembo HC they are top quality and use Pillar Vents to help with cooling. It's the pads where you want to be looking at spending the money/upgrading for track use

The bedding in details should come with the pads (most people won't read instructions)

Clio rs 200 ff n cup
thanks a lot dude, are the braided hoses from ktec any good they say there made in conjunction with hel and thankyou to everyone for the advice.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
thanks a lot dude, are the braided hoses from ktec any good they say there made in conjunction with hel and thankyou to everyone for the advice.

For future ref, the chap above G 172 is spot on for braking bits and bobs if you need anything else.

Never used the KTec ones so can't comment I'm affraid, maybe someone else has...

No problem mate :) glad we can help

Lionel Richie
If you have red calipers you MUST grind the back plates of the pads down a tad so then can move vertically in the caliper, otherwise they bind on when hot and destroy themselves/the discs