ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buffing off wax?

The last time I applied wax I struggled to buff it up to a nice finish - no matter what I did there seemed to be visible remains of wax which looked like I'd slapped it on and wiped it off in a hurry (which I dont).

What could I be doing wrong?

I tend to apply wax a panel or two at a time, and buffing it off about 5-10mins after it's been applied. I also tend to wax my car when it's inside my garage (it's Scotland, it tends to rain...). I usually use the CG microfibre applicator pads to apply and a large polishing cloth to remove.

I've been using up the last of my NXT wax before starting my supply of CG products but I might just bin the NXT start on the CG XXX carnuaba I've got, but I want to make sure I'm using the correct products to apply/remove and also the correct technique before I start with this.

Any advice/help appreciated :)
Ally

106 GTi
Depends on the product tbh.

Some Carnubas can sit on the paint and allow you to do the whole car and then remove, others need to be wiped on and then off immediatley.

Make sure your applying it thin to, anything you removed is just wasted product. Stubborn left over bits are a sign of over application, but should clean up easily with a spritz of Quick Detailing Spray.

You can also use the QD to spritz the pad first to allow the wax to spread easier. If using a paste wax most sprerad easilt when a little warm, leave it in the sun for a few mins first.

I also find Foam pads seem better suited for wax application rather than Microfiber ones.

So far have these problems been with NXT Wax ? - If so alot is down to it being (IMO) a poo product! lol

NXT Wax is not really a wax as the name suggests but a all in one polish/paint-cleaner/sealant.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I used collinite 845 on my mrs car, the easiest stuff i have used.

Cheers

I thought I might be using too much product? Or possibly not having decent cloths to polish it off with?

I've been looking at buying a new supply of microfibres for buffing it off - any suggestions? I'm located very near to Carwashnwax and have bought stuff from David before, hence was looking at their "ultra plush microfibre towels". Anything better for the money out there?

Ally

Cheers Rich/Tigger

Yup, a beginner when it comes to car cleaning - I've still got much to learn!

I think I'll order some of the CG plush MFs before I attempt anything else on the car. It's really needing a claying first so I'll wait before I get started on the wax.

Ally

"Navy" N17 TWO
No probs - I have a huge range of stuff I usualy "experiment" with on my bonnet before doing the rest of the car

I only use the bonnet as it is booked for a respray anyway :)

Mito Sportiva 135
The last time I applied wax I struggled to buff it up to a nice finish - no matter what I did there seemed to be visible remains of wax which looked like I'd slapped it on and wiped it off in a hurry (which I dont).

What could I be doing wrong?

I tend to apply wax a panel or two at a time, and buffing it off about 5-10mins after it's been applied. I also tend to wax my car when it's inside my garage (it's Scotland, it tends to rain...). I usually use the CG microfibre applicator pads to apply and a large polishing cloth to remove.

I've been using up the last of my NXT wax before starting my supply of CG products but I might just bin the NXT start on the CG XXX carnuaba I've got, but I want to make sure I'm using the correct products to apply/remove and also the correct technique before I start with this.

Any advice/help appreciated :)
Ally

It is pretty simply removing wax, but the key is that you are applying it over a pristine (or as close as) paint finish, e.g. no tree sap or other contaminants bonded to it. Also, don't wax in the sun, and don't let the wax cure too long, no more than 5 minutes or so.

Also, the type of cloth you use can be important - get yourself a nice mf cloth. Don't apply the wax too thickly either, should be almost invisible.

106 GTi
As said earlier ther is no hard and fast rule on cure times, Swissvax BOS for instance says to leave it on for 10 mins then to remove, P21s say wipe on and off.

Prep is the key though claying and polishing is a must first.

Mito Sportiva 135
As said earlier ther is no hard and fast rule on cure times, Swissvax BOS for instance says to leave it on for 10 mins then to remove, P21s say wipe on and off.

Prep is the key though claying and polishing is a must first.

Definitely.

Think some bloody tree sap has made its way onto my roof and bonnet. Going to try just using some paint cleaner before claying again, especially as I don't have any green clay at the moment.

Damn environment, why can't we live in a concrete jungle with no mud, insects or trees?!? ;)

106 GTi
If you catch it soon enough it will just wipe/wash off. Mine got some on the way to Castle Combe at the weekend, and wiped off with QD.

Mito Sportiva 135
Think mine baked on in the sun last weekend, will try a few things before claying though - a lot of hassle and don't really want to fork out for the clay right now either.

It normally comes off with a little elbow grease though with some QD as you say.

Clio dynamique 1.4 16v
rich i use nxt wax and it looks pretty good. i,ve got some zimol in the cupboard, so i was wondering what would happen if i applied a coat of zimol and then the tech wax to seal it? just an idea

106 GTi
Zymol Cleaner Wax or a proper Zymol Wax?

If the later the cleaners in the NXT will remove it.