ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

budget tyres

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
So you wouldn't spend less that £120 a corner?

I used to be like that, only buying the most expensive tyres I could find,
then from talking to people on here I realised I could get good tyres for far less.

Don't get me wrong if you're happy spending that then that's fine mate, it's your car and your peace of mind,
I just know from experience that not all 'cheap' tyres are crap.

I've never lost control of my car on cheaper tyres, or felt I was lacking grip or performance.

But hey, a forums all about opinions, you have yours and I have mine, which is fair enough. :)

Indeed. I spend just under that on some PS3's. Got those on the back and some older Exaltos on the front. From my personal experiences with the Rainsports, I found the Michelins substantially better in the dry and wet.

I'm shelling out about £135 a corner fitted with PS3's... am I getting shafted?

Blackcircles is about £115 fitted a corner iirc.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I used PE2s for years usually around £95 a corner, i've never found the grip lacking on any of the cheaper tyres i've used,
however the PE2s lasted a hell of a lot longer than any tyre i've ever used since.

Never tried PS3s though, i'll have to give them a go when I win the lottery. ;)

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
I used PE2s for years usually around £95 a corner, i've never found the grip lacking on any of the cheaper tyres i've used,
however the PE2s lasted a hell of a lot longer than any tyre i've ever used since.

Never tried PS3s though, i'll have to give them a go when I win the lottery. ;)

I just got a credit card :S As said before, I decided that if I was going to get one of these pocket rockets, I would maintain it properly, now time to have a rethink... didn't think you could get PE2's anymore tho...

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
You can't get PE2s anymore, it's been a while since i've used them.

I agree with keeping 1*2s in top condition,
I just spent £900 on belts, dephaser, water pump, alternator, injectors, coil pack and sump gasket,
looks like i'll be running rubber bands on mine for a while. lol

182 Cup
I just got a credit card :S As said before, I decided that if I was going to get one of these pocket rockets, I would maintain it properly, now time to have a rethink... didn't think you could get PE2's anymore tho...

Can't get PE2s in 16" form now generally, they're still around in 15" though.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
You can't get PE2s anymore, it's been a while since i've used them.

I agree with keeping 1*2s in top condition,
I just spent £900 on belts, dephaser, water pump, alternator, injectors, coil pack and sump gasket,
looks like i'll be running rubber bands on mine for a while. lol

Mine's going into the garage for diagnostics tomorrow as it sound like it got a crappy supercharger (i'm guessing alternator or PAS pump, but am usually wrong) and to get a pre MOT check ready for next week. It's the first since I got her so am quietly panicking as what I've discovered since I got her is that the previous owner used a garage of cowboys...

M2 Comp
I currently have Pirelli P-Zero's on my 182 and the difference between them and budget tyres is night and day. Good tyres will transform a car.

Cup In bits
I'm away to fit Hankook S1 evo's today which I was doubtfull of to begin with but after some advice and raving reviews on the web I bought myself a set for £228 delivered (195/45/16) Ford amongst others are starting to fit these to their sportier cars so they look like an up an comer.

Clio v6 255
False economy buying cheap tyres. Buy a set of cheap ones for 65 quid and do 6k before they need replaced. By michelins for 110 a tyre and do 18k. I know which one I'd do for the overall cost saving and the much better performance. I got 15k out of a set of rear PS3s.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
False economy buying cheap tyres. Buy a set of cheap ones for 65 quid and do 6k before they need replaced. By michelins for 110 a tyre and do 18k. I know which one I'd do for the overall cost saving and the much better performance. I got 15k out of a set of rear PS3s.

Had my car for 25k miles so far and the PE2's I got with the car on the back will probably need changing in 2/3k i reckon.

I totally agree with you - spending more on tyres... last longer and better performance.

Clio v6 255
Had my car for 25k miles so far and the PE2's I got with the car on the back will probably need changing in 2/3k i reckon.

I totally agree with you - spending more on tyres... last longer and better performance.

I should have said I have a 255 so the rear are the driven wheels

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
My 197 came with nexen n6000s on the front. For s**t tyres, they're actually half decent in dry weather, however, I can't wait to get them off and get my conti 3s on :)

check camskill, they are brilliantly priced and you'll get decent tyres

Turbo 182 Alfa 159

Although I agree with what your saying, some budgets will last forever because the compound is so hard, either way they still shouldn't be fitted to any car lol.

Clio v6 255
Although I agree with what your saying, some budgets will last forever because the compound is so hard, either way they still shouldn't be fitted to any car lol.

Yeah I know what you are saying, No grip or wear because the rubber is so hard. I was meaning toyos specifically. Everyone is saying they are fine but only last 6/7k miles, comparing that to michelin you are paying more as you need to buy 3 per Michelin for compromised wet performance.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I know what you are saying, No grip or wear because the rubber is so hard. I was meaning toyos specifically. Everyone is saying they are fine but only last 6/7k miles, comparing that to michelin you are paying more as you need to buy 3 per Michelin for compromised wet performance.

And when isn't the Uk wet? :p