ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BT Vision

Not a Clio
Trying to decide whether to continue with Sky when we move or go with BT vision.

Has anyone got BT vision? How reliable is the service and box, what do you think of it overall?

Is it possible to get any movie channels?

Is this service via a roof aerial or broadband line?

We currently pay Sky a fortune and as we're moving to a place without a dish we'll also have to fork out for that. Aside from the movie channels (1 or 2 movies a week), Channel 5 for CSI and the documentaries we don't watch much anymore.

*Think I've stuck this post in the wrong section :eek:

Last edited:
  Not a Clio
Working it out, line rental + bt anytime + bt vision + unlimited bt broadband comes to LESS than what we pay sky just for tv and unlimited calls.

Not a Clio
How does the on demand stuff work? For example if I subscribed to the TV viewing pack, what would that give me that I wouldn't get on freeview? is it specific programmes that they choose or extra channels?

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
it gives you nothing you wont get on freeview, just a bunch of old ass repeats you can watch when you want, it sucks, i hate bt vision..... its nothing more than a shitty free dvr...

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
how is it cheaper than sky? line rental =11.00 bt anytime 14.99 option 3 = 25.00 and bt vision = 14.00 which adds up to 64.99 lol and then you get none of the sky channels......

Formally Clio 182
I got BT vision yesterday. BT Vision is free if you have BT Broadband.

Your channels go through freeview and your on-demand stuff goes via broadband.

Costs vary for on-demand but the most you will pay is £2.99 to rent a movie which is quite good as they are all the new releases you would see in Blockbuster for example.

The whole menu system for the BT vision box is nicer and smoother to use than Sky (which hasn't even changed since Sky Digital came out over 10 years ago.)

The BT Vision box is also a recorder like Sky+ (which you dont pay extra for) and it has an HDMI port as it's also HD.

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
its not hd, its hd ready, it merely upscales the same as your tv's inbuilt tuner does

Not a Clio
how is it cheaper than sky? line rental =11.00 bt anytime 14.99 option 3 = 25.00 and bt vision = 14.00 which adds up to 64.99 lol and then you get none of the sky channels......

BT Line rental = £10.50
BT Vision = £9 (TV + Kids)
BT Together Anytime = £7.95
BT Broadband Unlimited = £24.99

Total = £52.44 that's standard price. With discounts in the first 6 months it would be £43.44

If I used Sky for everything except the line rental:

BT Line Rental = £10.50
Sky TV package = £45 (that's what we currently pay)
Sky Talk = £5
Sky Broadband = £10

Total = £70.50 + £60 for a dish.

Last edited:
  Not a Clio
I got BT vision yesterday. BT Vision is free if you have BT Broadband.

Your channels go through freeview and your on-demand stuff goes via broadband.

Costs vary for on-demand but the most you will pay is £2.99 to rent a movie which is quite good as they are all the new releases you would see in Blockbuster for example.

The whole menu system for the BT vision box is nicer and smoother to use than Sky (which hasn't even changed since Sky Digital came out over 10 years ago.)

The BT Vision box is also a recorder like Sky+ (which you dont pay extra for) and it has an HDMI port as it's also HD.

What kind of stuff do you get via on demand? excluding the movies I mean.

Not a Clio
Put in my order last night but it seems to be buggered. The summary page came out with the wrong offer prices and wrong normal prices plus the telephone package wasn't shown, so waiting for them to call me back. Why's nothing ever simple!

Also got to have a BT engineer come out and fit a line as the house we're moving to hasn't got one at all. Doing that before we move in which means I have to drive over there specially and the time slot is 8am - 1pm so that will be fun waiting around in a empty house!

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab
Put in my order last night but it seems to be buggered. The summary page came out with the wrong offer prices and wrong normal prices plus the telephone package wasn't shown, so waiting for them to call me back. Why's nothing ever simple!

Also got to have a BT engineer come out and fit a line as the house we're moving to hasn't got one at all. Doing that before we move in which means I have to drive over there specially and the time slot is 8am - 1pm so that will be fun waiting around in a empty house!
this might help if you are being charged the £125 for a connection, although might be late.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/136367/bt-half-price-connection-charge-62-/

As for BT Vision, I love it, great system. The box itself is great, loads of storage, two tuners, series link, 2 week epg.

The on demand service is pretty good, I have the tv package which I think is £6 and I get nearly everything except the movies but i have a lovefilm subscription for movies so haven't used them yet.

It does the on demand over the BB line and its very good, I only have a 2mb line and yet when I click on a programme it starts up within 3-4 seconds and never misses a beat, never freezes, you can fast forward through or jump in 30 second increments and its like you are watching a dvd or from the hard drive, you wouldn't guess it was coming over the same line you are downloading something on and possibly someone else in the hosue is on the telephone at the same time, very slick.

There is quite a bit of content on there too, mtv, discovery channel etc. and they are getting a load of the abc stuff too like lost and ugly betty, scrubs, desperate housewives etc.

I guess the thing you will miss most is Sky One and shows like prison break or lost.

FOr a free service though (well I pay the £6) its very good and I don't miss sky as I still get to watch my prison break and lost etc by other means (my brother records them for me)

dk

911 GTS Cab
it gives you nothing you wont get on freeview, just a bunch of old ass repeats you can watch when you want, it sucks, i hate bt vision..... its nothing more than a shitty free dvr...
do you actually have it?

its actually quite good, even if you just use it as a pvr its worth it for free, theres no catch!

'05 182
it gives you nothing you wont get on freeview, just a bunch of old ass repeats you can watch when you want, it sucks, i hate bt vision..... its nothing more than a s**tty free dvr...
do you actually have it?

its actually quite good, even if you just use it as a pvr its worth it for free, theres no catch!

I agree! we got the box for free and we get a discounted monthly rate as my dad works for BT. It's really good although all i use it for is to record my programs when im out, my bro's get loads of movies off of there! I would recommend it

Titanium 182
as a BT employee i get free broadband the Vision box for £1 too :D haha

Its crap tho :p the box is so cheap feeling :( if you shake it i reckon it would break

Don't tell them i said that :O

:p

172 Race Car
I was very interested in this when it was announced. Changed to BT broadband with home hub in preparation for when the service went live. Then it turned out that the box was free but the connection charges and installation came to around 100 quid! Some bt engineers told me that the boxes were not that reliable and I know i wouldn't use the on demand stuff (for cost reasons) so decided it really wasn't worth it for me.

I went out and bought a freeview dvd/hdd recorder, swapped my isp and phone supplier to a much cheeper one and canceled sky. No regrets

As i said this all happened around launch time, the boxes may be better now and the connection/installation cheeper.

Not a Clio

this might help if you are being charged the £125 for a connection, although might be late.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/136367/bt-half-price-connection-charge-62-/

As for BT Vision, I love it, great system. The box itself is great, loads of storage, two tuners, series link, 2 week epg.

The on demand service is pretty good, I have the tv package which I think is £6 and I get nearly everything except the movies but i have a lovefilm subscription for movies so haven't used them yet.

It does the on demand over the BB line and its very good, I only have a 2mb line and yet when I click on a programme it starts up within 3-4 seconds and never misses a beat, never freezes, you can fast forward through or jump in 30 second increments and its like you are watching a dvd or from the hard drive, you wouldn't guess it was coming over the same line you are downloading something on and possibly someone else in the hosue is on the telephone at the same time, very slick.

There is quite a bit of content on there too, mtv, discovery channel etc. and they are getting a load of the abc stuff too like lost and ugly betty, scrubs, desperate housewives etc.

I guess the thing you will miss most is Sky One and shows like prison break or lost.

FOr a free service though (well I pay the £6) its very good and I don't miss sky as I still get to watch my prison break and lost etc by other means (my brother records them for me)

Cheers mate, spoke to a nice lady that has put me on the 18 month contract for £62.50. Shame I can't go longer really.

I'm back in 2 minds now over who to go with as I've found out the new place has only got a loft aerial and local aerial companies are quoting me £80+ for a roof aerial. With Sky charging £60 for a dish and installation I'm swaying back towards using Sky for everything.

Not a Clio
^ Just to add that my BT phone, BB and TV order didn't go through because the site didn't tell me you have to wait 48hrs after activation and can't order in advance which is probably a good thing after finding out how much aerials cost.

Clio200 EDC Lux
BT Vision is very good imo there is now over 4000 on demand programs to choose from and you now get BBC replay as well for free. Also as said it decent just as dual tuner pvr.

Only downside there is no facilty to run two boxes at once on (without problems) though hopefully this will be sorted.

Not a Clio
BT Vision is very good imo there is now over 4000 on demand programs to choose from and you now get BBC replay as well for free. Also as said it decent just as dual tuner pvr.

Only downside there is no facilty to run two boxes at once on (without problems) though hopefully this will be sorted.

Is there anywhere that lists what the current on demand programmes are?