ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BT broadband - Slow connection speeds

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I signed up to BT about 4 months ago, and all has been well until a couple of weeks ago, when the speed dramatically dropped to the point where I can't even stream video on YT. Download speed is 0.4MBPS.

In fairness to BT, they have been very good so far, phoned back when they said they would, sent an engineer out this morning (after initially repoting issues on Thursday evening). Engineer has fixed an on-going issue on the phone line, and we now have a download speed of 12MBPS (APPARENTLY). However, I'm still getting exactly the same 0.4MBPS.

I've done a bit of research, and there seems to a common issue of the IP Profile becoming 'stuck'. Have speed tested it with BT speed test, and it is as follows:

Now, as you can see, the download speed is fairly decent, but the IP profile seems to be rubbish. Reading around it, it seems to be an on-going issue with BT, so I know there are a few BT people on here - is there any tricks of teh trade to get this rectified over the phone and the IP profile reset?

Download speed achieved during the test was - 254 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 100-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :12244 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 912 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 350 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - XX.XX:XX.XX:XX.XX (XXX:XXX:XXX)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

Or, is there anything else that may be causing it. The engineer says there is definitely no faults on the line, he was up the pole for an hour sorting stuff out.

I've been having some serious times of woe with BT atm. Connection went down for a week, had 4 engineer visits and finally on friday got a connection back. This is what I've been fighting with all weekend,

Download speed
help.jpg
achieved during the test was - 133 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds
help.jpg
is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :288 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 250 Kbps

OMG, it's practically dial up. Downside of living in the sticks.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I signed up to BT about 4 months ago, and all has been well until a couple of weeks ago, when the speed dramatically dropped to the point where I can't even stream video on YT. Download speed is 0.4MBPS.

In fairness to BT, they have been very good so far, phoned back when they said they would, sent an engineer out this morning (after initially repoting issues on Thursday evening). Engineer has fixed an on-going issue on the phone line, and we now have a download speed of 12MBPS (APPARENTLY). However, I'm still getting exactly the same 0.4MBPS.

I've done a bit of research, and there seems to a common issue of the IP Profile becoming 'stuck'. Have speed tested it with BT speed test, and it is as follows:

Now, as you can see, the download speed is fairly decent, but the IP profile seems to be rubbish. Reading around it, it seems to be an on-going issue with BT, so I know there are a few BT people on here - is there any tricks of teh trade to get this rectified over the phone and the IP profile reset?

Download speed achieved during the test was - 254 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 100-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :12244 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 912 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 350 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - XX.XX:XX.XX:XX.XX (XXX:XXX:XXX)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

Or, is there anything else that may be causing it. The engineer says there is definitely no faults on the line, he was up the pole for an hour sorting stuff out.

You're going to have to wait unfortunately. I think from memory it takes 4 days for the speed to adjust to the new speed.

I had a similar problem, as long as your speed stays high for that time it will automatically adjust itself after the period, which as I said I think is 4 days

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
You're going to have to wait unfortunately. I think from memory it takes 4 days for the speed to adjust to the new speed.

I had a similar problem, as long as your speed stays high for that time it will automatically adjust itself after the period, which as I said I think is 4 days

It's speeding up now:

Download speed
help.jpg
achieved during the test was - 11488 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds
help.jpg
is 2000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :12968 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 10000 Kbps

Fair play to BT, I was gearing up for a real fight to get the issue resolved, but they have been great. Engineer out within a couple of days, he arrived within an hour of the time slot opening, was here for 4 hours, was a nice chap, fixed a fault that has been on the line for 5+ years, the call centre have done what they said they would, called when they said they would, and now the connection is getting back up to a usable speed.

Top marks for BT on this occasion, and hopefully won't have to deal with them again for this kind of issue.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
10 days ;)_

I don't get it?

Feirny - I honestly can't fault them in my dealings with them so far, so definitely give them a call.

The only problem I did find was finding a bloody number to phone them on within their "contact us" part of the website, which seems to do everything it can to deter you from contacting them.