ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broken xenon

182 S
How do you no if a xenon bulb has gone? I've had it out and it doesn't look like it's blown. Any help? Is my headlight broke

Mk5 golf gti
swap bulbs first
does it flicker or anything like that or did you take it out as soon as you noticed it was out.try seeing if it flickers
ive jus had to change 2 bulbs an a ballast
im blaming the ultra cold weathr over xmas lol

clio 182
both have gone on my car to, but iv only recently changed the drivers side so somethings seriously up if im poping them within 3months...

S4 Avant
My xenons have always been a pain. One of them will go out every 6 months, I then have to take them apart and put them back together again, after that they work!

S4 Avant
Might just be a loose connection from the green wire into the starter, dismantle and re-assemble before buying parts.

S4 Avant
i know i mite sound like a noob but dissmantke what?

Remove rubber cap, unplug the starter, twist and remove starter.
Remove bulb, and put it back in the starter while out of the car, plug it in and check if the bulb lights up (don't look at it, it's bright)

If it does, then you can stick it all back in the car again. Otherwise, you'll need to get your wallet out.

clio 182
rite, iv had both bulbs out of the car today (lil tight) they both seem ok is there any signs that show if the xenon is knackerd!! 1 fuse had pop'd on the fuse board but replaced it and tryed again no light but fuse is ok. iv checked the relays under the glove box, all in nice and snug, the power packs seem fine no damage or water marks.. heads pickled what could be stopping my lights from working? otherwise its the auto electrics asap

and is this the rite bulb as if i need to buy new ones then thses are half the price and the same make i have now osram xenarc d2r 35w

Last edited:
  S4 Avant
tried alternating parts between the bulb that does work, and the one that doesn't?

Try and work out which bit's broken, through a process of elimination

clio 182
well iv tryed both bulbs on either side, left bulb on right side and so on,
tryed the relays pushed them in and so on, the bulbs look ok no broken bits not burn marks no mist, would the fuse blowing have any effect on the relays?

doing my fricking head in

Mk5 golf gti
9 times out of 10 its the ballast
try the taking apart and putting back together as is said
as i have seen it work
but it didnt for me lol
cheap bulbs are fine 20 quid each on ebay i get
but ballasts get oem ones second hand
if needed that is :D if there flickering i dont think its the starter as that only activates when the lights are selected and if it was bust the light wouldnt come on at all
in theory anyway

Nissan 350z
Thats the problem though Dunn. I think the problem people experience with xenons is due to the majority of people "buying a 2nd hand ballast off ebay". I imagine most of the ballasts that are floating around on ebay are easily 2 or 3 yrs old and they dont exactly seem the most resilient of things at the best of time.

The biggest pain with the xenons if the fact you have to remove the bumper so you can remove the headlights to access the ballasts which are screwed in underneath! :mad:

Remove rubber cap, unplug the starter, twist and remove starter.
Remove bulb, and put it back in the starter while out of the car, plug it in and check if the bulb lights up (don't look at it, it's bright)

If it does, then you can stick it all back in the car again. Otherwise, you'll need to get your wallet out.

I just had a bash at this.

Got the cap and the starter unplugged then i can do any more. There is no space to get hands down there due to some sort of pipe in the way. Is there an easier way to access it to get the bulb out?

From reading this again it would suggest its the ballast. Fecking hope not tho.

RB 182
10 mins to get bumper off, then 3 bolts holding headlights in. So much easier than cutting your hands in small spaces. Plus, can build them back up and see if the problems fixed, and if not then you dont have to start cutting your hands all over again!

My headlight went really blue for a few days, then flickered on start up and eventually went out. I replaced both bulbs to 6000k, much better without being chav blue!

S4 Avant
I just had a bash at this.

Got the cap and the starter unplugged then i can do any more. There is no space to get hands down there due to some sort of pipe in the way. Is there an easier way to access it to get the bulb out?

From reading this again it would suggest its the ballast. Fecking hope not tho.

There's not a lot of space down there. The aircon pipes get in the way on the drivers side as well. Try swapping the starter and bulb from the dead light, over to the light that you know works.

If the bulb out of the dead light works in the other light, it's not the bulb that's the problem.
If the starter works on the other side, it's not the starter, and will be the ballast causing issues.

Mk5 golf gti
10 mins to get bumper off, then 3 bolts holding headlights in. So much easier than cutting your hands in small spaces. Plus, can build them back up and see if the problems fixed, and if not then you dont have to start cutting your hands all over again!

My headlight went really blue for a few days, then flickered on start up and eventually went out. I replaced both bulbs to 6000k, much better without being chav blue!

out of interest where you get your bulbs an how much?
i dnt like the ones i have got :(