ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broken the 150db Barrier at last

The other day I finally managed to hit the 150db figure with the Clio. Not bad considering its not even an SPL car. The track I used was Rain by Madonna (I know I know). It has some ridiculous bass in it though.

Now its time to have a play with a test tone CD with 1Hz increments from 40-65Hz which I put together this morning. Hopefully ill be able to find the exact peak frequency that tips it over the edge to the 150 mark again. Then I can compete in a few small competitions this year with proper SPL burps.

Just thought I should post something cos im happy now.

Ive got most of the lil john tunes off the internet. Very good low bass car rattling tracks but no good on an SPL meter.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by Evil ICE on 07 March 2004

The other day I finally managed to hit the 150db figure with the Clio. Not bad considering its not even an SPL car. The track I used was Rain by Madonna (I know I know). It has some ridiculous bass in it though.

Now its time to have a play with a test tone CD with 1Hz increments from 40-65Hz which I put together this morning. Hopefully ill be able to find the exact peak frequency that tips it over the edge to the 150 mark again. Then I can compete in a few small competitions this year with proper SPL burps.

Just thought I should post something cos im happy now.

Yer rain is such a bassy track, also try to find

Whoomp There it is by Tag Team

B 8

Black Mk2 172 [ B 8 ]

Quote: Originally posted by Evil ICE on 07 March 2004
"its not even an SPL car"

Tell me about it :eek: !!!

I was struggling to get over 150dBs (TermLab meter) with two Digital Designs 9512 and two US Amps DE-3000 (6000 watts RMS total). That curved rear window does not help at all for SPL.. What type of meter did you use and how did you position the woofers? ;)

The EVIL Ice car is a mark 1 clio so doesnt have a curved window. (Has a couple of exterior mods though ;) )

Still, not a great car for accoustics.

Hey Russ what equipment/setup are you using?

The meter that was used for the reading was the old Audiocontrol type which I have been told is around 143db on the new TL mic. I got 150db as a normal run and 151 with the windows slightly open.

All the subs are facing towards the rear as I have always found that I prefer the sound on music and it seems to get louder that way. The HC12s are ported with the port firing upwards underneath the angled Audiobahn amps which helps to keep them cool as well as directing the air towards the cabin.

If there was enough room in the Clio then I would port the 2 L7s and gain around 3db but I have ran out and they are more musical sealed. It drops like a Russian whore as it is anyway which is what the system is all about...I prefer streetbass to SPL.

The US amps are ridiculously powerful..sounds like youve got a pretty tasty system in your Clio...I wouldnt mind having a listen to that.

The system I am using at the moment is the following:

Source

Panasonic CQ-FX800N Headunit

Panasonic DP-9061 6 Disc CD Changer in Glovebox Build

Audiocontrol Epic 150 Bass Processor

Front

3 Pioneer 2 Way 6x9s in each door

5.25" Magnat Stratos 2-Way Components

Alpine Tweeters in Mirror Control Housings

Alpine Tweeters in Roof

Rear End Build and Subwoofers

Pioneer 2-Way 6x9s Behind Front Seats

Alpine 5" Mid-Range Behind Head

2 Kicker 15" Solobaric L7 Square Subwoofers in Rear build (Sealed 3.0cuft 1" thick Enclosure)

2x Resonant Engineering HC12 Subwoofers in Boot Build (Ported 3.0cuft 1" thick Enclosure)

Pioneer 6x9s on rear shelf (Separate from boot area)

Amplifiers

2x Rockford Fosgate bd500.1 Class D monoblocks (Each Powering an HC12 sub @ 1Ohm)

2x Audiobahn A18001DT 1800 Watt Class D monoblocks (Each Powering a Kicker Solobaric L7 Sub @ 1Ohm)

Kicker Impulse IX402 (Powering Rear Speakers)

Alpine V12 800Watt (Powering All 14 Front Speakers)

Audio / Visual

Removable 15" LG TFT screen with TV Tuner

Playstation 2 in False Floor Build

233Mhz PC with Infra Red Keyboard and Mouse

Power

4 Batteries - 1x Type 065 + 3x Optima Yellow Top Deep Cycle

330 Watt Power Inverter
2 and 4 Gauge cable throughout

Prima Racing F2 Corsa Widearch kit with modified skirts, one off bonnet, one off Carisma GT Turbo rear spoiler and modified Ecosse 306 Front splitter.