ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broken down. Lots of lights on, no power to the throttle body

2003 172
Hi, currently sat waiting for the rac(they reckon 2 hours).

The stop,service, immob, traction, battery and handbrake lights are all on.
There's no power to the throttle body as it's not buzzing.

Any ideas where to start?
I've tried swapping the relays about, battery connections look good.

Anything else I can check/try?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I'd say it could be a few things.

Battery really low as the alternator isn't charging
Alternator wire has broken off
Earth strap from the gearbox to chassis has snapped.

2003 172
I'd say it could be a few things.

Battery really low as the alternator isn't charging
Alternator wire has broken off
Earth strap from the gearbox to chassis has snapped.
Earth strap would be my best guess at the moment. Battery was new a couple of weeks ago.

2003 172
Right, car has been recovered back to my garage. But it's still broken;
I know what the issue is- the relay is not getting an earth to it from the ecu. So either a break in the wiring loom or the ecu itself.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I guess the easiest thing would be to swap the ecu and test rather than go hunting for a dodgy wire. I was doing that for 2 days!

2003 172
I guess the easiest thing would be to swap the ecu and test rather than go hunting for a dodgy wire. I was doing that for 2 days!
Well I know exactly the wire that is not carrying the earth. So I'll try that first. ECUs aren't plug n play are they? You need the keys and UCH etc?

2003 172
I've traced the wire back to the ECU that the RAC man said should have a switched earth. Continuity test on it is good, so it's not a wiring issue(for that wire at least).
I'm guessing i'll have to try and get hold of an ecu that has been cleared.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
You've checked one small wire, so it's not a wiring issue ??

Have you checked the big earth strap that always goes, from the gearbox to the chassis ?

2003 172
Earth leads all intact. I've put a jump lead from the battery to the block and the gearbox, still the same issue.

2003 172
what are the electrical fault light and management light doing?
clio%20lights_zpstwfguzty.jpg

All the other lights come on and go off properly. The above lights are on solid and don't flash or anything. The relay for the starter under the dash clicks once when you try and start the car.

2003 172
Not sure, but whilst I waiting at the side of the road, I tried locking the car- I had a solid continuous beep until I unlocked it again. This might be relevant.

RB Clio 182
Not sure, but whilst I waiting at the side of the road, I tried locking the car- I had a solid continuous beep until I unlocked it again. This might be relevant.
If it is, theres a guy on ebay that fixes them, a few days turn around for around £30

2003 172
I've taken the uch out, visually it appears fine. No dry joints or burnt bits etc.

I'm not convinced it is the problem.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
I had similar to this on my old Dci, just randomly did this when I parked up for 5mins. Had all the engine bay fuse box apart , cleaned all the relay pins and fuses, cleaned the big white connector in the bottom of the box and it seemed to fix it.

Ideally you need it plugging into Renault Clip and see what it brings up

997.1, Caddy, e208
Just noticed you're in Cambs, if you ever head over to Huntingdon way, you can borrow my Clip?

997.1, Caddy, e208
Ok, I'm not there until Thursday, or my wife is there tomorrow/Wednesday (Latham road)

2003 172
I had similar to this on my old Dci, just randomly did this when I parked up for 5mins. Had all the engine bay fuse box apart , cleaned all the relay pins and fuses, cleaned the big white connector in the bottom of the box and it seemed to fix it.

Ideally you need it plugging into Renault Clip and see what it brings up

Yep I've tried every connection I can find, including that white block. I've also tried swapping relays around to try and rule these out with no luck.

Ok, I'm not there until Thursday, or my wife is there tomorrow/Wednesday (Latham road)

I'll direct message you.

2003 172
right, I've made some progress- it looks like an earthing issue to a wire in the loom.
If I earth this, the car runs:

IMG_20171007_112739_zpshv918s0z.jpg

Does anyone know where this is meant to plug in(it comes out of the loom near the starter motor, just above the gearbox)?

IMG_20171007_112747_zpsz37jkrjw.jpg