ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brembo Max Grooved + Ferodo DS2500 = problem? HALP! :)

Hello,

I installed on my 172, about 700 km ago, a pair of Brembo Max Grooved front discs, namely these:
http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2115

with some Ferodo DS2500 brake pads, these ones:
http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2346

After driving normally with them for a while (just the occasional hard breaking stuff, here and there) today I finally went into some really hard breaking scenarios, one after the other. The result was lots of smoke - and I do mean a lot of smoke from the front brake pads, coupled with a soft brake pedal and lack of braking bite, so to say. Like really the brakes went too hot. All this happened REALLY fast, after maybe 4-5 hard braking situations, so I'm quite amazed :)

Is the discs/pad combo broken somehow? What am I doing wrong? Should I check something else?

Thanks a lot!

-Braker

I'd say they have either seized due to the above reason ^

... or you've had a fluid leak around the hot braking components = lots of smoke and loss of pedal feel / excess travel.

Thanks both for the fast replies!

did you file down the back plates and remove the pad shims from the carrier?

I didn't do the installation myself. Can you please give me a couple more details about this operation so that I can ask the mechanic if he did it or not (not a native EN speaker myself so the more details are given the more I understand) :)

I'll check the brake fluid and lines as well.

Thanks again!

-Vavavoum

Lionel Richie
What language do you speak?

you have to grind down the metal back plate of the pad as shown below
565Hg.jpg

also in the existing pad carrier you will find 2 shims (polished metal inserts) these MUST be removed

the pad must be able to move vetrically by 1mm

Managed today to find time and look at the things. The pads were filed, but not enough, they were moving with quite a bit of effort. Took a file and worked a bit on them so that they move easily and also removed the shims and everything looks ok now.

However, just to understand a bit the thing, what is exactly wrong with keeping the shims in? They look made out of stainless metal (inox) and should in fact help the pad slide on them to allow easier movement? Why do they have to be removed? Do they have a tendency to gather dust/dirt maybe? Is it something related only to the DS2500 pads or a general thing?

Thanks for shading a bit of light on this! Trying to understand :)

-Fixed

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
However, just to understand a bit the thing, what is exactly wrong with keeping the shims in? They look made out of stainless metal (inox) and should in fact help the pad slide on them to allow easier movement? Why do they have to be removed? Do they have a tendency to gather dust/dirt maybe? Is it something related only to the DS2500 pads or a general thing?

Thanks for shading a bit of light on this! Trying to understand :)

-Fixed

Lol, this is freds pet hate. He's said previously the stainless steel expands significantly & binds/jams the pads.

I thought the same as you versus the comparatively coarse surface of the cast carriers.

After spending the time to properly seat them with the shims, ive run mine for a few thousand miles now including a couple of trackdays.

They operate perfectly, do not bind, chatter or squeal. Im guessing they must be an exception to the rule.

Your English is pretty good by the way. Better than some of the people on here in all fairness.

A-ha, so it's about expanding due to heat. Good to know, even if - from what I gather - it's not 100% verified :)

Anyway, fixing them was a good "understand how the brakes work" learning session. Quite useful, I'd say :)

Thanks!

-Disciple

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
A-ha, so it's about expanding due to heat. Good to know, even if - from what I gather - it's not 100% verified :)

Anyway, fixing them was a good "understand how the brakes work" learning session. Quite useful, I'd say :)

Thanks!

-Disciple

Apparently so. Im pretty sure you could work out how much with the expansion coefficient for stainless. :)

Good youve got the issue sorted bud.