ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Break upgrade for a phase 1 1.8 16v

Nissan 200sx S13
What is a good cheap brake upgrade for a valver, does calipers and discs fit from any other renults for example a williams or a 182.

Thanks for any help.

clio 16v
williams are the same calipers i think??
although i think 182 might be different, the weak point is the caliper. if you want more stopping power, you'll need to upgrade the calipers 1st.

clio 16v
dont think there is a cheap route mate! most people leave them as standard, unless you are running big power??!

Nissan 200sx S13
well im planning to do a few track days and maybe go to nurnburg ring in it, and want to reduce fade in the breaks, tracks can be very hard on your brakes even without big power!

lol @ Brun :p

The Grp N's and mintex should be an upgrade that will work pretty well, but post up to let us know how they are once they're run in :)

I went for Pagid Blue pads and Brembo Max discs and they are lovely, though they were a bit more expensive than the ones you've gone for! I did an hour on track at FCS last year with no fade and no problems whatsoever :cool:

Skoda Fabia vRS
lol........i know i know......its just so many people do it on here, it really bugs me....

Nissan 200sx S13
White16valver said:
lol @ Brun :p

The Grp N's and mintex should be an upgrade that will work pretty well, but post up to let us know how they are once they're run in :)

I went for Pagid Blue pads and Brembo Max discs and they are lovely, though they were a bit more expensive than the ones you've gone for! I did an hour on track at FCS last year with no fade and no problems whatsoever :cool:

I went for the solid discs, more metal to absorb heat that way, why pay more for less disc. i hope they help the stopping power

Im planning on these next

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=562_563_572&products_id=3981

will they fit a valver

Franksx2005 said:
I went for the solid discs, more metal to absorb heat that way, why pay more for less disc. i hope they help the stopping power
Grooved discs are designed to reduce pad glaze rather than absorb less heat - I think the composition of the disc itself has more bearing on heat absorption than whether it has grooves or drilled holes or not. (though I may be wrong!)
Mine seem to bite well in the wet as well, so I assume that the grooves enable to water to be taken away from between the pad and disc better than plain discs. (again, I might be wrong... lol)
Not sure about that - I imagine so as I don't think the mounting points are different. Will they fit in 15" wheels?

Fred2001Dynamic said:
speak to white16ver or mr merc on here about their brakes

Get a yozzasport set of brakes.

F* cheap for what they are - and I've driven several cars with several different brake setups and £ per £ they are stunning.

Did a track day the other day and I genuinely couldn't force them to fade.

I can't praise them enough - stunning.

Looking for a ph-quick...
yozzasport? where do you get them from, i need a new set of brakes!!! was thinkin of uprating them insted of getitn standards!
Amir

Franksx2005 said:

Im planning on these next

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=562_563_572&products_id=3981

will they fit a valver
That kit and the one for the R5 are no longer in production, one they made and then discontinued, and the other they were gonna develope and never bothered, but i can't think for the life of me which was which.

Check out Northy's thread in group buys over on williamsclio, can buy calipers etc, just need to find a motorsport/engineering company to machine the brackes to the right size, once you have that you are sorted.

Works out just over £400 IIRC, thats to fit std valver/williams discs, including poly E pads, calipers, longer braided lines, and std discs from GSF.

Can use 172 disc size 280mm iirc, but they are too heavy and apparently will upset the handling of the light williams/valver, plus its adding more weight to the front axle, which ideally you wanna reduce

White16valver said:
Grooved discs are designed to reduce pad glaze rather than absorb less heat - I think the composition of the disc itself has more bearing on heat absorption than whether it has grooves or drilled holes or not. (though I may be wrong!)
Mine seem to bite well in the wet as well, so I assume that the grooves enable to water to be taken away from between the pad and disc better than plain discs. (again, I might be wrong... lol)

Not sure about that - I imagine so as I don't think the mounting points are different. Will they fit in 15" wheels?

They bitew well int eh wet as teh discs are hot and water evaporates lol, your discs dont' get very wet anyways unless you drive through floods lol.

Grooved discs increase pad wear, they slightly increase the intial bite, but IMO aren;'t necessary, unless you like ragging it and then sitting for 10 mins with you foot ont eh brake to glaze the pads over. The groves function to remove any glaze on teh discs as well as dispersing any build up or hot gasses and dust etc.

I run std discs and pagid fast road pads, and was just about startign to get them to fade slightly on teh one long straight, after a few corners heavy braking, but apart from that they ahve been spot on round anglesey, donnington, bruntingthorpe and cadwell, same set of pads and discs round all of them, plus about 15k road miles, pads have about 30-40% meat on them still

Hubs from williams and valver are identical, mounting for brakes on all the mk1 clios are identical, and i'm 99% sure all teh R5's had the same hubs, since the RSi runs the R5 GTT brake set up.

Doubt 300mm will fit in 15's, IIRC the 280mm ones Northy has just fit in 15's, think there are some 15's that a std 280mm big brake kit won't fit, turbines iirc.

Lunner said:
They bitew well int eh wet as teh discs are hot and water evaporates lol, your discs dont' get very wet anyways unless you drive through floods lol.
This is of course a good point ;) but I was referring to when I came home on the motorway with an inch of standing water and they still gave good bite even when I hadn't touched them for about 5 minutes ;) :p lol

285mm disk on stock calieprs is the limt realy behind 15's I used to have them and there wasn't much space with aftermarke calipers there more space but 300 would be pushing it IMO I'm not sure they'd fit.